Experience With SMP Looks in NY (Thickening Effect)

I finally had my temp SMP done. It was three passes total over two consecutive days working on the crown and mid scalp. My experience could not have been better. "Hairthere" as he is known as on here was very professional, tended to all my needs, and just a flat out nice guy! By the way, his hair looks amazing! He gave me a nice complement on my hair as well ( Dr. Rahal's) handy work as he said so he scored some points there as well :) He also thought my donor was very good still and we both agreed that one more smallish HT on the crown and I would be all set. However, I am putting that off for as long as I can (hence the SMP).

On the first day we started by taking pre procedure pictures and then he went into detail about the whole process so there were no surprises at all. We planned on doing one pass Friday and a second Saturday. However, he said my scalp was not getting irritated at all over the first pass so we did 2 passes on Friday. The next day we did the third pass. I am going back in a week or two to take post procedure pics and we will post them here along with pre procedure pics.

When I got home, I took a look at his handy work and I am in amazement at how the crown looks. With proper styling and the SMP, it must have increased the appearance of density by at least 50% or more so needless to say, I am very excited. I am hoping to get a year out of this before needing a touch up. I think with my lifestyle, it's doable.

I would highly recommend SMP Looks to anyone as well as temp SMP itself.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Can't,

Congrats! I hope you'll share some images? I've been looking forward to seeing some of SMP Look's work.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Can't,

Congrats! I hope you'll share some images? I've been looking forward to seeing some of SMP Look's work.

I will be going back to SMP looks to take post procedure pics soon. After I do, I will post pre and post pics.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Right on! I'm really looking forward to seeing this result. As I've said before, I may follow in your footsteps in the future. Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

More information: My scalp was just a bit tender after the three passes in two days but that has 80-90% gone away after about 6 days post procedure. Still looking great and we are looking to get a 4th pass done as well when I go into get my pictures taken in a couple of weeks.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

good luck on your final session. just had my SMP completed. loving it.

Thanks. I saw your other thread. Looks great!!

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

CD,

You are going to love the final look. I have become addicted to SMP.

Now I see what you meant :) It has improved my crown overall by a good 50% I would say. If I can get 12 months out of this before going back, that would be great. I think with 4 passes done and my lifestyle, that is doable.

Its like getting a HT for density without having to use the grafts :)

All the best to you.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Hi "Cant Decide" - your username is very appropriate for where I am at today. Glad I found your post.

Like you, I got a great Dr.Rahal hairline done a few years ago (you and I are approx same age) and got over 3200 grafts from that FUT session. Unfortunately, the back has experienced agressive loss and due to that it was starting to complicate using DermMatch for the illusion of density. And working as an actor, I was a bit concerned of its appearance or of people noticing... Anyway, at the summit of my panic, I opted to get a hair system last December. WOW, it has been 80% nightmare and I think my anxiety was just as bad with that solution. A dozen days I felt good and confident but now its become an obsession and I've stopped going out completely and shyed away from being seen. So I started secretly regrowing my own hair under the system for the last few weeks and revisiting a solution I briefly considered BEFORE getting a hair system: Micropigmentation (SMP). Im not sure what made me not book a consultation for SMP before I jumped on the hair system bandwagon but in hindsight, I think that would have been a wiser thing to investigate - after all, we all want to give our own hair a chance and a permanent (rather than disposable solution) sounds more like an investment than consumerism. I possibly did waste money on hair systems and products but at least I did my own maintenance and got pretty good at it. And at least I did not make the mistake of joining hair clubs! But now I'd rather invest in a permanent solution because I dont see myself doing hair systems til my old days and well, I cant seem to adapt or accept....

I recently went to see Dr Rahal for a followup and sadly, it appears that I could probably get only 1500 grafts from a 2nd FUT. He told me my density is light, and the area I want covered is large. He said "you're going to have to combine solutions". Man, I was depressed.. and I think I am still in depression... I feel like I got robbed from a career, a dating life, etc...and from self-image!

Straight up, if I had 30K, I would go see his recommendation for beard hair transplant (I've got plenty of donor there!) and blend that with what I've got left in the back of my scalp...but Dr. Umar is in LA and its not realistic for me right now. Im so pissed that Dr. Rahal wont do it... and well, there is no way I would trust Dr. Jones with that! (I'm in the Toronto area).

So, in comes the possibility of SMP. Its frustrating that most SMP sites publish only the shaved head look because thats not a look that I want (or given that I already have scarred the back, I probably will never opt for that.) But as an actor, I currently need to maintain the same look as my photos.

But anyway, it seems you are blending your hair with SMP and liking the results. Of course though, you had more grafts and your hair really looks full,,, not sure why you needed SMP lol

May I ask where you decided to go and if you can recommend a place in Ontario? I feel you probably did a ton of research and are well informed...

Also, looking at my picture, do you think it would be wise to get SMP first to see how I like it and THEN commit to filling up the bald area? If I do 2nd FUT in Dec, I'll need to wait a year before I touch it with SMP... thats a long time to wait!

Sorry this was a long reply...

Honestly, I do not know any SMP clinics in Ontario but NY really is not a bad drive at all. Especially if your getting it done annually. I would suggest getting it done to see how you like it first. Just remember that you need some hair to blend with it to really make it work. My crown does have a very thin spot in it but I grow my midsection long enough to be able to cover it. This combined with the SMP on the spot and the mid scalp really makes the crown look pretty solid. One day I will get another 1500 into the crown but for now, SMP has me set. I suggest you contact "Hairthere" on here who runs SMP looks and discuss your options. He is a great guy.

All the best,

CD

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Hey CantDecide, im thinking that maybe slicking my hair back will have to become my new hairstyle... or the short fauxhawk... seems to me your thin spot in the crown is strategically covered. I think Dr. Rahal will need to leave an open spot so I might as well pick something likely to be covered up just by styling my hair a certain way.

If only he did, FUE from beard hair, I'd be saved..

I'll look for Hairthere and start a conversation. In the meantime, can you PM me a few pics of the top of your head pre and post SMP? Pictures of those are so hard to find online.. they're almost all shaved heads! Id be super happy to take a look and see a real picture to see whats possible..

Starr - You would be surprised how little it takes to get the right hairstyle strategic enough to cover weak areas. You just need the right length and direction. While I do comb some mid scalp hair back to cover the spot, my hair in general is not all slicked back. Its mostly combed to the side. It does not look like any sort of comb over and it serves the purpose. It still looks like a modern nice hairstyle.

I will be posting pics later this month when I go back to SMP looks for after photos.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Hmmm, I'm thinking that short term I have 3 options.

1. Continue with a hair system (I cringe at this one...)

2. Get SMP for the areas where I have thinning hair, but maybe not at the heart of the crown (I will leave this up to the technician's better judgement)

3. Exhaust my scalp donor thru a 2nd FUT, and get SMP a year later (this is not very short term but more of a medium term option)

And longer term solution - the "real" solution:

Get another transplant of remaining donor hair + beard hair. This plus the previous SMP should give me good illusion of density.

Hey CD, I'm kind of in a similar situation. I live in Rochester, NY and was considering SMP. I have a bunch of hair, and wear my hair real short anyways (like a 6 on top and a 1 on the sides and back). However, I was also considering a hair transplant (not going to Dr. Quatela here in town after what I've read about him on here). So, if I get SMP work done, does that jeopardize my ability to get a HT in the future? Also, what is the advantage of temporary SMP over permanent SMP?

Getting SMP will have no impact on your HT whatsoever since the SMP needle only goes in 0.5 mm. As for temp vs perm SMP, I think most on here will agree that perm SMP is just to risky due to color changes over time and other factors. With temp SMP, if you don't like it, your not stuck with it for life. Plus, the color fades over time but does not change color. Beauty medical SMP like that used by SMP looks is a great option IMO.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Jealous!!! Well, happy for your success actually!

CantDecide, how are you dealing with having to shave your head for each session? (I'm aware that you are using this for density and not the shaved head look)

I'm seeing the owner at HISHair in Toronto this Wednesday... I know I cant expect a miracle but I am hoping for a step in the right direction. A talk with my parents today about how I could go talk to someone else about hair systems made me literally nauseous. I'm in no man's land right now and I truly hope that getting SMP can bring some improvement to my condition.

I think even if in the end I HAVE to wear a system, I NEED to give my own head whatever possible chance I've got. And besides, with SMP underneath, it would be much less embarrassing to be seen without the system.

Jealous!!! Well, happy for your success actually!

CantDecide, how are you dealing with having to shave your head for each session? (I'm aware that you are using this for density and not the shaved head look)

I did the SMP for added density and not for the shaved look. I did not have to shave down at all to have the SMP done.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Starr, i was also looking to see the HIS guy in toronto.....i am looking for added density as well, but heard that HIS does only the shaved head look

im really interested on how your consult went.....

Hey trapps, my consult was just "ok". Ian was honest enough to tell me he doesnt recommend it at this point. I could come back and see him once all the transplants are done...one thing I noticed though is that he has had his SMP for 13 years and he says it looks good, well, it does BUT if you "know" its smp, you can sort of tell its kinda blue-ish.

No SMP for me at this point. :(

starr,

It was nice speaking with you the other day. As per our Skype consult, I think you have some options and a combination of another strip, and/or FUE and beard/BHT will help you achieve your goals. You can then augment with either SMP or continue with Dermatch/Nanogen, etc.

Take your time and weigh all your options carefully, plus have as many consultations as you can. If there are financial restrictions just wait longer and save more...it will be worth it in the end! Please keep us in the loop.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Starr - I am just trying to get a sense for how large you thinning crown area is. It does not look terribly bad in your Avatar. I think with 2500 grafts from a good doc like Rahal, and proper styling with some SMP, you can get a good overall look going. My crown as I told you still has an empty space of about 2"*3" but with SMP and proper styling, you would never know it. I just think your crown is not as far gone as you may think as long as grafts are strategically placed and you style it right. SMP would be a bonus.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts