SCAR REPAIR - Best method for scar repair Micropigmentation VS FUE

I am looking at getting my FUT scar (done in 2010) repaired and also repair of my FUE scars which will be done in June this year.

To me micropigmentation makes most sense, The results look better, there is no need to further exhaust donor hair and its cheaper.

But I want to know, will they look good if the hair is half an inch long? Or will the dots look strange against half inch long hair. I don't see any images of micropigmentation with anything except shaved heads.

Also does the ink fade over time does it turn blue? And finally is one treatment enough?

I don't think I will consider scar revision. but FUE is a reasonable alternative, I hear that FUE has the added advantage of stopping the scar from stretching,

Anyone had any of these done?

Is that your black hair?I think it will help immensely. My hair is a mixture of white and brown and the grey/blue hue of SMP still helps me, but if your hair isn't brown, then I think it will help. I c no point in temporary as u won't be able to judge as your hair changes and the SMP constantly changes under it.

Be aware that putting SMP over recently transplanted hair is not recommended at the hairline because the ink runs in the skin more, perhaps it is not as important for a scar.

In order to successfully use SMP on a scar it must be flat and white. Scars that are keloid or raised, concave, or red/pink are very unpredictable. The pigment can bleed out or appear bluish. I always recommend clients have a test patch performed on their scars. This is not as important if you are wearing your hair longer, plus I use 100% non-permanent pigments which alleviates much of the risk if your SMP does bleed out.

"And finally is one treatment enough?"

Usually it will take 2 passes to get adequate coverage.

Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks for the advice and nice work! I understand you are highly recommended in SMP however im in Australia. I think I will do SMP even though its only temporary. While most of the strip scar is white and flat there are portions which are either raised or pink, since its been like that for 5 years I dont see it getting better. I have no intentions of having a shaved head I think that is something I just won't be able to achieve in this lifetime. But if I can completely camouflage the scars with SMP and quarter inch hair length I will be over the moon. And if I have to do SMP every year so be it.

And yes scar5 that is me with the black hair, luckily my hair is black with no graying.

If you have white/grey/silver coming through perm SMP will highlight those tones, on the other hand, it works well in disguising the scars.

Good luck with the SMP. I'm sure it will help. I get the idea about doing temp to avoid bleeding damage but I think ultimately, you'll need something more permanent - although the silvery hue is inevitable as it is usually monochrome.

Thinking of a 2 year temporary, you get the benefit of a color but those colors change, which thankfully is cancelled out by the temporary nature of it.

But how much value is it? Call 100% the ultimate result for color blend of SMP,scalp, hair and scar into seamless veneer to the eye at say, one inch of hair length.

Think of a 24 month fade curve where the SMP guy/gal gets it perfect on the first try - or subsequently at a 'touch up 3-4 weeks later.

Your first 6-8 weeks it is too strong

Then there is a small patch of time ( a few months at most) where you would get ideal cover.

Pretty soon the decline must set in, in order to fade in two years.

Anyway, you pay a lot for a few months of cover. Perhaps that crucially, is just enough time to figure that SMP works for you? Remember your original idea was to do temp to 'test' the waters. But temp SMP and perm SMP are not the same so it is not a test. You might just find yourself paying for more and more temp and this is the business model the temp operators work on I suspect.

Perhaps you can get a test patch with a permanent SMP provider, although that will cost you too.

Good luck.