2075 FUE graft with Dr. Konior

Hey, all is pretty good....I did book a second procedure for May just to get more density at the first 1-2cm of the hairline (Dr. K thinks another 1k-1500 will top me off pretty good....hopefully lots of 2, 3, and 4 hair grafts). Hair greed is definitely real. Remember, I have really fine hair so I'm going to need more density than the normal person. Hopefully I'll be able to spike my hair up after the second procedure and ditch the Dermmatch for good. The whole point of a first procedure is to frame the face and that definitely did this for me.....I am looking at the second as a cherry on top. If you are going to go some of the way, you might as well go all of the way.

Temple points are definitely a must....lot of bang for the buck there....at least in my case they were.

I'll get some new pics up in the next few days. Some definite pluses.....I can wear my hair much shorter than I used to. I used to wear it 2.5 to 3 inches long. One of the things you learn to do is experiment with hair lengths after the HT. There is no doubt there is a sweet spot as many have said. I have learned that even 1.75 inches for my fine hair is too long now....so I'll probably keep my hair between 1.25 to 1.50 inches. My hair definitely looks thicker from 1 inch to 1.5 inches than it does longer (I grew it to 2 inches until last week and just had a half inch taken off). That may change once I get more density in the front.

I'm definitely glad I did it......but I want that home run. Like many doctors will tell you....and it's not just lip service....but it really does take 2 passes (especially in areas where you had zero hair) to get great density, especially if you don't have the best hair caliber. Again, though, I want that 10 out of 10....whereas most of us would be happy with a 8 out of 10 (especially when I was probably half of that before).

Really looking forward to May....and hopeful I might be able to get in before then if someone cancels (people aren't kidding....Dr. K is indeed booked 6 months out). Heck, I booked this a month ago....and May 3 was the first appointment available....so that's 8-9 months.

Edited by matt3480

OK, pic time.....these are with my hair wet and slicked back. My hair naturally lays to the right. You can see the only area I felt didn't grow real good was the left part right at the hairline.....I would say the first 1cm. It had been lagging the whole time. I was more bald on my right side....so more grafts were placed there. As you can see from the top pic....I just have fine hair, there isn't going to be much that is going to change that. Let's be honest, I'm never going to be a hair gel guy (all paste here). When the hair is dry, it's not see-through on top. You can see what a difference the temple points back. I like to keep my sides very short (like a number 2 or 3 guard). I'll probably have Dr. K add a little bit to the temple points....we are probably talking 100 grafts max....just to add a bit of density at the edges and also to make my shape consistent on both sides in terms of the temple points.

5b32e8d93bb78_IMG_28271.jpg.1dc919119716f51079ba734674a12688.jpg

5b32e8d94d602_IMG_28281.jpg.1bad437b53e600b91407ea7e27672bb5.jpg

5b32e8d95ef41_IMG_28291.jpg.df1dddc5d30e85c292395bf8dab94a66.jpg

5b32e8d9ed887_IMG_28301.jpg.ce18e50e5eb7f4afae12c9334df7e6bd.jpg

Edited by David - Moderator

Here are some dry pics.....the one where I am looking at the camera has a little bit of Dermmatch on....but that is my natural hairline shape now. BIG different from before.....not to mention my hair is maybe 1.25 to 1.5 inches in these pics. I haven't been able to wear it that short in a long time.

new.jpg.ca4afacb4de31bf395897ca683884c87.jpg

new1.jpg.933b75bc1dce818ab16b3edba79e8116.jpg

new2.jpg.f4aaa7205e2af4b76f4508f43949bf22.jpg

Damn! such a beautiful result, I don't think you even need a 2nd pass through your result is so good! but I know how you feel about trying to get it better ... I just passed a month on a 2nd FUE with Dr. Rahal after he rebuilt my frontal zone, I decided I wanted more behind it to cover the crown .. we always seem to want more!?!? The naturalness of Dr. Konior's work is literally jaw dropping.. congrats man

Here are some more wet pics....bit higher quality....again, when I say the left side is a bit weak at hairline...it would be the right side if I am looking at you (or the left side if you were in my body). It's probably a side that Dr. K would look at it and want to do a small touchup.....like literally 50-100 grafts. Not a big deal. Again, I don't think the plan was to make the very front real real thick at first. Most of my grafts were concentrated in that frontal forelock and areas where, remember, I had zero hair (and two passes is the better bet in those areas). He definitely wanted to be cautious but I have a real good base now.

However, this is where another 1,000-1,500 grafts at my May appointment should thicken these up very nicely and provide very good density. The obvious plan is to get in between what is growing now.....although I obviously want as much in that first 1cm or 2cm as possible.....since the rest of my hair behind that first 1cm or 2cm gives a nice illusion of coverage when dry at this point.

I'm pretty sure I've done all the growing I am going to do....and again, even with hair maturation over the next few months....due to my fine hair, I doubt there will be a huge difference visually due to maturation versus someone with normal or coarse hair.

wet1.jpg.f84e2f5eca2f0203563e51f5563a1013.jpg

wet3.jpg.531a8c570eb2b69ca49e387fa92a6f49.jpg

wet2.jpg.c66a2945f27dda45320fa982f7a48676.jpg

• Like 1

Damn! such a beautiful result, I don't think you even need a 2nd pass through your result is so good! but I know how you feel about trying to get it better ... I just passed a month on a 2nd FUE with Dr. Rahal after he rebuilt my frontal zone, I decided I wanted more behind it to cover the crown .. we always seem to want more!?!? The naturalness of Dr. Konior's work is literally jaw dropping.. congrats man

Oh, no doubt.....like I said, hair greed is real. With most people, this would be more than satisfying and they'd be done. Again, I'm fighting the fine hair caliber I have. If I had even a normal hair caliber, I doubt I would need another pass. The donor area looks great....my stylist doesn't even know where it was done. Does a number 1 buzz on the donor area maybe show a bit more scalp than it used to? Of course.....I had 5,000 hairs taken. However, by the time it grows out to a #2 or so.....the scalp is covered and there is absolutely ZERO difference that I can tell or anyone can tell, either wet or dry....and I don't keep it that short (#1 guard) on the sides or back, so it's moot.

My whole philosophy is if one has the money....you might as well take what you can from the sides and back and put it where you need it. My donor definitely has some grafts left and I doubt I'm going to ever need one to address the crown or mid-scalp. I'm on Fin and I feel I've responded well (had really no sides) and I just don't think I'll progress that far (Norwood wise) anytime soon....and I don't see myself caring as much when I'm 60 (or at the least hopefully there will be other options by then...cloning, etc.).

Damn, Matt -- you look like a movie star! Beautiful work here by Dr. Konior, and apparently solid growth of the 2075 FUE grafts that were transplanted.

Also good to see less conservative hairstyles on Konior patients like our two Matts (1978Matt and matt3480). Someone once commented here that Dr. Konior gives patients "politicians" hair, but I think that's more a function of his Chicago-centric clientele's styling choices. There's nothing Mitt Romney about matt3480's hair.

This is looking fantastic. Just checked back to your 'before' pic - amazing transformation. Congrats.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it's about 2.5 to 2.75 inches from the top of my eyebrow to my hairline now...and that's pretty normal for guys from what I've read (distance from top of eyebrows to hairline should be 1/3 length of your face....and my face is about 8 1/8 inches from lowest point of hairline to bottom of chin).

The more you know.gif...

Sounds like you really went deep in the weeds to research this. Makes me want to go measure.

I'll be honest when I saw your hairline I thought it was high too but we dont really get to see the rest of your face. But the end result is fantastic - surprised you are going for more but "hair greed" is alive.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Also.....my final count, for what it's worth, was....

From the March 31 surgery on the temples and front....

Singles 169

Two’s 718

Three’s 858

Four’s 332

TOTAL 2077 grafts (about 5,500 hairs)

And for the temple point surgery on April 17.....

Almost all singles: 776

Your yield of 2.6 hairs per graft is off the charts. I wonder if that is because for FUE the doctor can pick and choose what FUs he wants. I didnt get a single 4 and either did a few other strips I've seen on here that went to Dr. K. Yet you got 1328 (!!!) hairs from just 332 FUs. A typical yield is 1.9 to 2.2 I believe for strip.

So maybe you cannot compare yield from FUT to FUE.

Put another way, 57% of your FUs were 3s or 4s. Many people get no 4s and might get 20-25% 3s. That leaves 75% 1s and 2s. That domination by 3s and 4s is massive and a big help to your cosmetic result, he basically packed the front third with some of the densest hair possible from the back.

Who told you, you have fine hair by the way - it looks very normal in your latest photos. I think maybe you are underselling yourself a bit. If you were a FUT 2.6 yield you'd actually have among the densest hair seen... but again maybe apples to apples but the eye test doesn't show me a guy with "fine hair".

Also good to see that shock loss wear off.

I am glad to see a successful FUE Konior case here chronicled. I told Tom they should post some more as most think Konior is mostly strip but I was told some months they do as much as 80% FUE, so I assume that means he is at least 50/50 overall.

Konior is just good at everything. Politician hairline my foot.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Yes, the 2.6 is definitely because the doctor can pick and choose the multi-hair follicles. That was for my original 2,075 on March 31. For instance, when I went back April 15 (which he only worked on my temple points), I only averaged 1.0....which was the whole plan on temple points (775 grafts....all singles).

From what I've researched.....those with lower densities in your donor area (I have an average, at best, density in my donor) normally have naturally higher amount of 3 and 4 hair follicles...whereas someone with real high donor density has a naturally less amount of 3 and 4 hair follicles.

I had another transplant with Dr. K on December 1.....just under 1,200 grafts...for about 2,600 hairs (so about 2.2 hairs there)....all in the first 2cm of the hairline. They were maybe 800 2-hair grafts and 300 3-hair grafts. Trust me, I indeed do have very very fine hair (the pics aren't high quality to show that).....I needed the density bump, no doubt. The second one has not yet started to grow....but I expect to have good progress by the end of March or April (although second HT's normally grow slower). That was the downside of my transplant maturing...it went from coarser hair in the initial growth (which I loved) to my natural finer hair...so naturally I lost a little bit of coverage due when that maturation happened. I truly felt I was pretty much done sprouting hairs by month 4.5 and fully matured by month 6 or 7. Again, that is just my characteristics. Many people's HTs start out growing what they consider "thin" (but that's probably because they have normal/coarse hair).....and for them to actually have that fine hair turn into normal hair....it could very well take a year.

If I had even a normal caliber hair (let alone coarse)...I probably would not have needed a second pass. However, it was definitely necessary.

No doubt that your hair characteristics play a HUGE role in what your final outcome will be. If you have fine hair....it will take much more donor (and much more $$$) to achieve the result that someone could achieve with normal or coarse hair.

Yeah, shock loss went away 100%. I didn't have any shock loss from my December one. I recovered fast and well from that one.