2075 FUE graft with Dr. Konior

OK, update! Dr. K did my temple points today and they are going to look fabulous I think. At the end, he had about 50 extra grafts left so he suggested putting them right in the middle of the hairline to create a bit more of a widow's peak....great suggestion by him. It in effect lowers the hairline a bit and makes it look even more natural than the rounded part I had before. Brilliant surgeon.....amazing what literally a 50 graft difference can make! I'll get my final numbers next week in terms of grafts, etc. I think today he did about 600-700. Pics coming....VERY HAPPY. If you are considering Dr. K, stop....just go to him. There is nothing to consider in my opinion.

Needless to say, I look like a clown right now. I'm swollen, I have the top part of my hair a bit grown out since he only took (and thus only shaved) from the front part of the sides (he left that area untouched last time on purpose). I have the hairs falling out from my first procedure....I have my sides shaved all the way down....so take it for what it's worth.

ht1.jpg.57d405900b13da7809498cfd08333489.jpg

ht2.jpg.fea7b4bb7899a2dda9c72dbff5652efc.jpg

ht4.jpg.fc400ddd2a014eb5dd44db81b0a48125.jpg

ht3.jpg.789f17564a29ae212bef005e5636c413.jpg

Edited by David - Moderator

Very nice. So he took the grafts from both sides of the head and basically left the area where he took the grafts during your first surgery alone? I like the small widows peak, I think it helps frame the face a bit better and gives some character.

Really nice, as expected. Looking forward to seeing it pan out over the coming months!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update as it's been 2 months since I had my temples and front done and about 43-44 days since I had my temple points done.

As expected, not much to update right now. I've definitely noticed a few hairs in the temples that have sprouted up (tried to get it in the pics) as I was completely slick bald in these areas pre-op. If I had to estimate, I would say there has been maybe 100 or so that are growing (that I know weren't ones that simply kept growing after the surgery). It's hard to pick up a lot of it in my pics....especially the tiny ones that just broke the surface. I'm still pink as expected.....although the color has definitely improved since 30 days post-op. I have been applying Rogaine 2x a day and this seems to exasperate the pinkness a bit...I'll probably switch to just once a day.

Have a little bit of shock loss behind both ears and in a small spot on the back of my head. Definitely not major. I've been able to feel and see stubble in these areas for about a month....so I know the hairs are resting and will grow back within a couple months. Definitely had a few pimples here and there in the recipient and donor....nothing unexpected there, nothing major. Just a waiting game.....

hair1.jpg.cacf8a9c023fb967df7aaad43ba20181.jpg

hair3.jpg.1c83acb62cc612b63e6b94c0d131473e.jpg

hair2.jpg.678102e9d74552500ec4b2cc7937e1a6.jpg

Edited by matt3480

Here are the shock loss areas....it's in pretty harsh lighting to try to show a contrast....it's just a bit thinner than the surrounding hair, not bald. In the first pic, it's not the thinning spot in the crown area but the area below it a bit to the left..

hair4.jpg.e89a60101db1be2b28f8d45af44695be.jpg

hair5.jpg.01a18779c11f1e4507ee01ea2cbdbc8b.jpg

hair6.jpg.052aadcfc3b13013687c2a18f44750b0.jpg

Also.....my final count, for what it's worth, was....

From the March 31 surgery on the temples and front....

Singles 169

Two’s 718

Three’s 858

Four’s 332

TOTAL 2077 grafts (about 5,500 hairs)

And for the temple point surgery on April 17.....

Almost all singles: 776

Yep, definitely expected home1212! Not worried, at all......I heard right behind the ears is actually a very common place for it to happen on FUE. Dr. K said the same....4-5 months or so and it will resolve.

Looking good and right on track. I'm seven days behind you in terms of my two-month mark - we're about to turn the corner. In terms of the Rogaine, just use it more liberally at night and skip the morning - alot of Doc's recommend this method if you're using 5% and experiencing redness. Or switch to foam for daytime if you want to continue twice a day. It might be the PG in the liquid causing the continuing irritation - very common.

Looking good and right on track. I'm seven days behind you in terms of my two-month mark - we're about to turn the corner. In terms of the Rogaine, just use it more liberally at night and skip the morning - alot of Doc's recommend this method if you're using 5% and experiencing redness.

Yes, agreed! I think it's recommended to keep Rogaine on for four hours....I'm going to do that and then wash it off. I was originally putting it on in the morning and leaving it on all day and then taking a shower at night and keeping it on until the next morning. That probably would be normally fine....but I really want to kick the pinkness (the color looks really good in the morning when I wake up if I haven't applied Rogaine the night before).

Took some hi-def photos (as much as you can on an iPhone) today to show you what I'm seeing here at approx. 70 days post-op.

I'm hoping I'm an "early sprouter"......seems to be a decent amount of growth going on....some thicker hairs, many finer hairs. These are close-ups of both temples....I know I'm a bit pink in the pics but this was taken minutes after I applied Rogaine (plus I'm still just pink from the surgery).

I can tell you pre-op I was completely bald in the temples....I think I had literally one or two hairs on my left side and none on my right.

701.jpg.89840158936d30c8a7a8dd740c3fe2c8.jpg

702.jpg.4b4644170805578a054169440e1ad1f2.jpg

Looking promising buddy. At the 2.5 month mark I started noticing similar growth, but once I hit 3 months, there was an explosion. It hits you fast and furious - just take a seat back and enjoy the ride for the next couple of months. It will blow you away how quickly things develop

Matt,

Thanks for posting your progress online. I am pretty interested in this thread as I was considering Dr. K myself.

I did not see if you mentioned if Dr. K uses a motor assisted extraction tool, or a completely manual punch, and if the punch tool was dull or sharp punch and the diameter of the punch sizes. Also, was a patchy shaven or donor only shave discussed or an option with Dr. K (as opposed to whole head shave)?

Also was wondering if a whole head shave is required, is there any cons to continually shaving post op to minimize contrast between the balding (but slowly growing) areas and non balding areas?

Houtex....I believe Dr. K uses a manual punch and also the Dr. C*** motorized punch thing.

As for the shaven thing....I work from home....so I didn't need to conceal anything due to work purposes, etc. Most surgeons prefer the head to be shaved when doing a large number of grafts...it's just easier for them to work.

I actually just shaved my head again 3-4 days ago just because it was pointless, again, to have the longer hair with short hairs. I don't believe there is any limitations on that beyond the initial period where you don't want to disrupt the grafts (10 days or so).

Edited by David - Moderator

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some about 3 month pics (I think next Tuesday is technically 90 days). Looks like a good improvement from my pics I posted June 10.....thoughts? I would assume this is pretty good for 3 months. The left side seems to be growing better than the right....

leftside1.jpg.9023b043aee9411864cb98e369fdebc4.jpg

leftside2.jpg.f391034f632ca9f2e0a45d412799b77c.jpg

front.jpg.e954a88f9932802bfe4e2385246a7c06.jpg

righside3.jpg.e6ce00d3034eb2352ab164667bd66085.jpg

rightside2.jpg.e454abd12018e61bb3f7390f7e8ce915.jpg

rightside4.jpg.a5ca19b4113968760f2fc17fbfc5d1bf.jpg

rightside1.jpg.7afc88e0e7881f75464403ef0e3a8bf5.jpg