Dr. Wong - 7589 grafts - 2/3/15

Firstly I would like to thank this site and all its contributors over the years for helping me weigh up my options and eventually committing to undergo a hair transplant with Hassan and Wong. I would also like to thank David Anderson for his guidance and his part in convincing me to take action after many years of careful deliberation (indecisiveness!)

Brief History

I first noticed that my hair was starting to thin when I was around 24 years old (currently 36) and immediately arranged a visit to the Belgravia Centre in Victoria, London. I was prescribed a combination of Propecia and Minoxidil and after a few months noticed a significant improvement in my hair. However, I also noticed some unwanted sexual and psychological side effects so discontinued Propecia. The side effects eventually diminished and over the years I have tried experimenting with different dosages of Propecia but the side effects would present themselves again so unfortunately I reached the conclusion that oral Propecia was not for me. I continued with Minoxidil and have had some success with this but my hair loss gradually continued.

Towards the end of 2011 I started looking into the possibility of having a hair transplant and started browsing on this forum, as well as others and also arranged some consultations with surgeons or their representatives. I spent the last 4-5 years agonising over making a decision and in the end it was my girlfriend (who had had enough of my dithering!) as well as David Andersons advice and encouragement, not to mention the amazing and consistent results that Hassan and Wong have kept producing that made me finally build up the courage to pay the deposit and book the procedure.

I had several consultations with David Anderson over the years and met with Dr. Wong in London who advised me that we would be aiming for circa 4,500 grafts to mainly the frontal third to increase density. My surgery was booked for the 2nd March 2015... I paid the deposit and booked the flights... no turning back now!!!

A trip to Vancouver

I booked a direct flight from Heathrow to Vancouver with Air Canada and flew out on Saturday 28th March. I would highly recommend Air Canada. In flight service was amazing and their staff were very friendly and efficient. I stayed at the Sheraton hotel in Vancouver which was kindly arranged by Christina from H&W. I stayed for 4 nights and H&W agreed to pay for 2 nights. The hotel was lovely. The rooms were very clean and quiet and the food was excellent. I would also recommend taking an extra few days beforehand to see a bit of this beautiful city.

Surgery day

I arrived at Hassan and Wong's offices at 6am to begin my procedure. After a few pictures I was greeted by Dr. Wong who shaved my hair down and drew on, and showed me where my new hairline would be. I give Dr. Wong the green light to 'max out' and transplant as many grafts as possible. I was filled with excitement and trepidation and looking forward to getting the procedure out of the way as I wasn't sure what to expect!

The first part of the procedure involves harvesting the donor strip which I have to admit I really wasn't looking forward to. The first few anaesthetic injections hurt a little bit (on par with dental anaesthetic) but after that the process of removing the strip was pain free and with little discomfort. I was advised by Dr. Wong during the surgery that I had amazing scalp laxity (I started scalp stretching exercises from about 3 months pre-surgery)

Once the strip had been harvested Dr. Wong's large team set about preparing the follicles for transplantation and after a quick break and some further anaesthetic to the scalp (again, slightly painful at first but suitably numbed thereafter) Dr. Wong and his team began the lengthy and labour intensive process of planting the grafts in the recipient area.

At 10pm and after 16 hours in the chair, my transplant was complete.

Strip 31.5 x 2 cms

7589 grafts

1h - 1527 - 0.61

2h - 4338 - 0.88

3-4h - 1724 - 1.00

I was amazed by the number of grafts yielded and very happy that Dr. Wong managed full scalp coverage. My bank balance was not as happy but I am sure will recover in time!

I should also add that I have started applying topical finasteride prescribed by Dr. Wong. Hopefully this will help maintain, with no/minimal systematic sides.

The pictures taken are pre-procedure and the last one is 24 hours post procedure. Will keep you all updated as I progress.

Fingers crossed and looking forward to harvest time!

front.jpg.73afe814b606bd4625e08e1f46fa0d4a.jpg

back.jpg.cb49702b30badb6a84c3db54dddd61a4.jpg

side.jpg.bbf02a906e717a0ec9340c35ff2858de.jpg

sidefull.jpg.21f7dd2c2ce4abbd87bab3e1a271e9ad.jpg

24hr.JPG.55048a85995391aaebf45389d5c4f27f.JPG

Well done Megasesh. You are going to get some serious coverage with that many grafts!!

Will follow your progress.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Should be a crazy outcome based on your hair characteristics. I see you had your temple points done. Good call.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Looks clean as mate!!

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Megasesh,

Appropriate name for sure! The number of grafts that you got is not something we hit very often in one session but every now and then when the requirement is there and the stars align with great density and laxity it can happen.

Thanks for your kind words about your experience I was happy to have been able to help along the way. I really hope you stick around and document your results and look forward to following your progress and meeting with you in London to see how you are getting along in the near future.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Nice write-up. Sounds like it was a long day but I'm sure it will prove worthwhile in a few months time.

Look forward to your updates.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Wow ... this is one case that will be followed eagerly on this board -- megasesh , do keep us posted . And congratulations on taking such a big step forward !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys and many thanks for your replies! I will keep you all posted. I have just passed the 1 month mark and most of the transplanted grafts have fallen out.

I have managed to keep the procedure secret from everyone apart from my girlfriend and have been using Nanogen fibres (amazing stuff!) on top so it just looks like I have cut my hair short and so far no one has twigged! Luckily I didn't suffer too much shock loss which has given the fibres something to bond with.

My scar seems to be healing nicely and is concealed at about a grade 3. I will attach some updated pictures later on of scalp both naked and with fibres applied and of the scar healing progress.

One thing I have noticed is that my scalp is constantly itchy and there appears to be some spots and pimples in different areas. I went to visit my GP and she prescribed a weeks course of anti-biotics and said that it looks like folliculitis. Have any other HT vets experienced similar? I am hoping that it will not effect my outcome.

Kootrapali, it was a combination of freakish scalp laxity and pretty good density and also choosing Hassan & Wong who are renowned for producing great results for large sessions.

ash809, Hassan and Wong charge $5 per graft up to 2000 grafts then $3 per graft there after... so $26,767 in total (There goes that new BMW... oh well!)

Hassan and Wong charge $5 per graft up to 2000 grafts then $3 per graft there after...

Pretty good value when you think about it. Ear-to-ear scars are always usually invisible as you continue to bald.

This is completely uncalled for.

I agree.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Scar5,

We are all well aware of your view of strip and that you prefer FUE. However, I agree that your comment is out of line. While members will share different opinions, we expect them to be respectful which is clearly something you are lacking here.

If you have nothing constructive to say on this topic (or any other for that matter), please refrain from posting.

Bill

scar5, I am aware of the risks involved of having this kind of procedure and the point you have made (I am presuming sarcastically) is one of the reasons that it took me so long to make a decision and commit. It was something that I investigated thoroughly and the decision was not taken lightly.

I was at a crossroads in my hair loss where the options were to accept going bald gracefully and shave my head or take action... time will tell if I have made the right decision but I am happy that I have made the right decision for now. Nobody knows the extent to which one will continue balding so there will always be an element of risk involved.

I presume from your handle that you have had an unsatisfactory result in the past. Sorry to hear about that. Have you considered MSP as an option to conceal? I have seen some amazing MSP results lately!

Megasesh,

That's a seriously impressive number of grafts! It took me two trips with Air Canada to obtain that number of grafts with Dr Hasson. It looks like we share similar hair characteristics. The end result should be fantastic.

Out of interest, did you research any UK options for your HT?

I met with some Farjo reps and was impressed but for me the before and after videos and pictures for H&W won me over... I had no idea that them kind of results were possible.... Great to see many other surgeons stepping up now both physically and providing multi media proof of their results... We (as baldies) are very lucky to be alive right now and taking advantage of this crazy level of expertise!

Congrats on your procedure megasesh! Should be a cracking result!

You mentioned you can't tolerate propecia. Just wanted to let you know I heard Hasson and Wong apparently have topical finasteride prepared for them which they sell to patients. You might want to check it out to help with the longevity of your result.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here: