Patient’s Hair Transplant Repair Results By Dr. Umar - Before and After 11,000 Grafts

@Heliboy- Thank you for the detailed sharing your experience.

@BUSA and @Hairweare: On fees: The cost of surgery is not discussed here as these are private matters between patient and Dr. So your assumptions are speculative at best. BTW Dr U has been doing BHT for about 10 years now with consistent results. Back then several of the clinics you are praising lobbed stones at him for implying that BHT works! and now? :)

The typical candidates have been butchered prior to seeing Dr U with no recourse. Some have been laughed out of several clinics. Dr U has done several pro bono and heavily discounted surgeries in several instances out of empathy. There are always cheaper clinics for every work/service, but some have established their reputation over the years and patients expect it would cost more to go to top notch clinic. Dr U is often the answer were the margin of error is zero. Many of his patients were in fact referred by some of the recommended Drs (or their patient reps) on several of these hair forums. Some of these patients had returned to Dr U after succumbing to the lure of cheaper surgery (elsewhere) with dismal results. Many of the patients in our videos have had failed BHT attempts elsewhere.

@BUSA Please refer to my earlier post from 4.10.15 where I discuss the hair texture of BHT surgery patients. With the right styling techniques, more natural looking textures can be achieved. I even posted several examples of our patients who illustrate this. This particular patient featured in this post has been advised by our clinic on the use of products like gel. But he has chosen to wear his hair as it is featured in his video. We are not here to judge or criticize the grooming preferences of our patients. It is after all, their personal choice.

And in the 4.10.15 post, I also point out that the patient himself is extremely happy with his repair results. This is quite evident in his verbal feedback included in the video. Opinions on hair transplant results will always differ among onlookers. But if the patient is happy with their outcome that is all that matters.

@ontop

Are such "over-the-top" personal insults warranted here? Again the patient in his own voice (see video) disagrees with you..it would be helpful if civility prevails here. Reading what has already been articulated before posting such comments helps In any case, here are more of Dr U's BHT results, from patients who I am sure would vehemently disagree with your comments.

12,000 grafts Norwood 7

10,500 grafts extreme NW 7

15,000 grafts NW 6

9000 grafts NW 6 with repair:

14000 grafts NW 6 with repair

9000 grafts NW 6 repair

6000 grafts NW 5ish

5000 grafts buz cut and repair

Representing Dr. Umar of DermHair Clinic.

Dr. Umar is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Heliboy- Thank you for the detailed sharing your experience.

@BUSA and @Hairweare: On fees: The cost of surgery is not discussed here as these are private matters between patient and Dr. So your assumptions are speculative at best. BTW Dr U has been doing BHT for about 10 years now with consistent results. Back then several of the clinics you are praising lobbed stones at him for implying that BHT works! and now? :)

The typical candidates have been butchered prior to seeing Dr U with no recourse. Some have been laughed out of several clinics. Dr U has done several pro bono and heavily discounted surgeries in several instances out of empathy. There are always cheaper clinics for every work/service, but some have established their reputation over the years and patients expect it would cost more to go to top notch clinic. Dr U is often the answer were the margin of error is zero. Many of his patients were in fact referred by some of the recommended Drs (or their patient reps) on several of these hair forums. Some of these patients had returned to Dr U after succumbing to the lure of cheaper surgery (elsewhere) with dismal results. Many of the patients in our videos have had failed BHT attempts elsewhere.

@BUSA Please refer to my earlier post from 4.10.15 where I discuss the hair texture of BHT surgery patients. With the right styling techniques, more natural looking textures can be achieved. I even posted several examples of our patients who illustrate this. This particular patient featured in this post has been advised by our clinic on the use of products like gel. But he has chosen to wear his hair as it is featured in his video. We are not here to judge or criticize the grooming preferences of our patients. It is after all, their personal choice.

And in the 4.10.15 post, I also point out that the patient himself is extremely happy with his repair results. This is quite evident in his verbal feedback included in the video. Opinions on hair transplant results will always differ among onlookers. But if the patient is happy with their outcome that is all that matters.

@ontop

Are such "over-the-top" personal insults warranted here? Again the patient in his own voice (see video) disagrees with you..it would be helpful if civility prevails here. Reading what has already been articulated before posting such comments helps In any case, here are more of Dr U's BHT results, from patients who I am sure would vehemently disagree with your comments.

12,000 grafts Norwood 7

10,500 grafts extreme NW 7

15,000 grafts NW 6

9000 grafts NW 6 with repair:

14000 grafts NW 6 with repair

9000 grafts NW 6 repair

6000 grafts NW 5ish

5000 grafts buz cut and repair

Edited by Abbie
needed to change one of the video urls

forums are good for those seeking information but are also filled with those ' thinking what they know offers others benefit' but no idea what they are talking about.

The problem is on these forums you will always have the doubters and people who have no idea (in real life) what they are talking about . People who want to dig deep to find issues when nothing more than a simple haircut trimming is all that is necessary. There is forum life and there is real life. Thanks to Dr Umar I and many others now live a real life while the forum experts ' try to figure it all out' . It will never change.

Heliboy,

I would agree with you to some extent but there are a number of accomplished posters on this forum posting in this thread who have all had transplants and some with professional experience in the field making the same comments. So I do not believe you can classify a number of people as having no idea what they are talking about.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Heliboy,

I would agree with you to some extent but there are a number of accomplished posters on this forum posting in this thread who have all had transplants and some with professional experience in the field making the same comments. So I do not believe you can classify a number of people having as no idea what they are talking about.

I was going to write up a detailed analysis of my own experience with beard hair (over 5K grafts from Dr. Umar) but I feel compelled to comment on your post.

I'm not discounting the accomplished posters on this thread, of which there are many. However, some of these accomplished posters still have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to patients like the one featured on this thread. Having someone with only minor recession at the hairline get 1500 grafts so he can look like Elvis has no idea what this patient has gone thru to get to where he is today. And that is not an insult to their powers of perception, that is simply real life experience. Heliboy and myself know what he has gone thru, and I doubt anyone else commenting on this thread really does. What passes as "repair" threads on this forum I often find myself chuckling at. Dr. Umar has redefined "repair", I can say that with certainty. I spoke with other doctors (three recommended, one not) who all looked at my hair and could do no more than shrug.

So, in effect, Heliboy is correct, they have no idea what they are talking about, especially the ones who say "He should have done FUE into the scars and shaved his head"

None of those posters, thankfully, have found themselves in the position of this patent, Heliboy or myself. That dismissive advice is not real world advice, and it ignores the many challenges one would have to deal with if they followed it.

To hear people say his hair is too kinky, looks like a Brillo pad, etc, etc, well, take it from me, that patient loves to hear it! Why? Because people are discussing his hairstyling challenges, something that he now has to deal with. Before Dr. Umar, this was not an option. And over time, that kinkiness will begin to fade, as he achieves his desired look. His desired look might be cut real short, which works best for me. Beard hair can be tough to manage when grown out, and often requires gel to keep it in place. When I cut mine short, it is wash and wear. Practically maintenance free.

And before I sound like a fanboy, even after 5K beard grafts I still have not achieved a level of density that I am completely comfortable with in all situations. I still feel like I need to do more to break up the contrast between dark hair and pale complexion, hide the previous work, etc., etc. But I'm really lucky to even be in the position I am in and have these concerns, because without the addition of beard grafts, I would never go out in public without a ball cap. Now I do it almost all the time.

Wylie,

This is a very good synopsis of our events. I can assure you that there are few people in the world that have gone through the hell and scarring I put myself through with strip procedures back in the late 90's. Looking at different perspectives I can see where those who have used mostly scalp hair see only those results as ' normal ' and see beard hair results as something different. It really all comes down to the eye of the beholder. I had to wear a hairpiece for 14 years due to the extensive scarring / damage that I had from multiple strip procedures. My head looked completely destroyed so I had to cover it up. I was able to stop wearing a hairpiece after 14 years because of BHT/Beard Hair. My only option was body/beard hair which was a dream come true (LITERALLY)

Again the point that I make is basically knowing the limitations / expectations of BHT/Beard hair . Dr Umar was of the first to have the ambition to begin extracting beard hair . There is certainly artistry to using it because of the physical complex characterisitics beard hair has. I personally feel as in my own case beard hair works wonders if you desire a shorter haircut style. That is simply because of the physical nature of the hair. I will be the first to tell you that we are not all in the same boat when it comes to our experiences. For those of us that required extensive repair our perspective may seem different than others. We all want what works best and fulfills us personally that allows us to live normal lives. I can certainly assure you that I was able to stop hiding from the world and start living.

I fully agree with Heliboy. Heliboy good to see you back on these forums!

Chrisdav: The number of dissenters many with agenda is not what matters. The facts do. You yourself are an avid poster and a Dr feller patient. I recall years ago how Dr feller disparaged Dr U years ago on this very forum for doing BHT, all in attempt to stop Dr U from being part of the coalition. I will need to look up that thread. The exchange was shameful. It is required reading for those interested in in BHT and Dr U's role in it all. Dr U has been proven right on all counts. And what is feller saying these days? :)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Why are you bringing up Dr. Feller? There is no need to go down memory lane, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Trying to start a pissing match is out of the scope of this thread, unless that is your intention.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, just move on.

Again, it would be best to present detailed unadulterated photographic evidence than repetitive copy and paste defenses. Everything else is just relative. Granted in cases in need of extensive repair there presently is no other alternative. Sad nonetheless that some have spent a good portion of their life's savings on both the initial injury and subsequent repair in the quest of just looking more "normal".

Hairweare,

I must agree with you on that point . It is sad that many (including myself) have spent a great deal of their life (both mentally and financially) on initial injury that require further extensive cost and repair. I will tell you this after being butchered by 4 strip physicians back in the late 90's when no FUE was available - it is so nice to have the advances that we have today with FUE for both scalp and strip. For those that have not experienced both to compare - its hard to fully understand overall benefits of each .

I will tell you that today I would without hesitation go with a beard / scalp hair hybrid transplant knowing the type of shorter hair style (3/4 legnth on top) that I prefer and looks very good on me. The beard hair is actually much more appropriate for this hair style than scalp hair. My take home point is at least we have options now - although costly they may be. Beard/BHT requires understanding of limitations/expectations .

Edited by Heliboy

Guys,

Let's remember to remain civil.

I think there are a few concrete points we can all agree on here:

1. Body hair grafts will always retain their donor characteristics. If you transplant thicker, coarser, wavy hair follicles on the scalp, they will continue to grow this way. This can sometimes be very hard to detect when used as filler. However, it is definitely more noticeable when utilized over a larger area.

2. Body hair grafts should be utilized -- en mass -- after the traditional scalp donor supply is exhausted.

3. Dr Umar has definitely helped many patients with these big body hair transplants. These were patients who likely had no other options. Altogether, I'm sure they are pleased. While the appearance may be slightly different, I'm sure these patients prefer it to where they were before.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hairweare,

I must agree with you on that point . It is sad that many (including myself) have spent a great deal of their life (both mentally and financially) on initial injury that require further extensive cost and repair. I will tell you this after being butchered by 4 strip physicians back in the late 90's when no FUE was available - it is so nice to have the advances that we have today with FUE for both scalp and strip. For those that have not experienced both to compare - its hard to fully understand overall benefits of each .

I will tell you that today I would without hesitation go with a beard / scalp hair hybrid transplant knowing the type of shorter hair style (3/4 legnth on top) that I prefer and looks very good on me. The beard hair is actually much more appropriate for this hair style than scalp hair. My take home point is at least we have options now - although costly they may be. Beard/BHT requires understanding of limitations/expectations .

yea I agree if keeping ur hair short BHT can work well. if trying to grow long I think it will end up lookn like a wax figure.

Guys,

Let's remember to remain civil.

I think there are a few concrete points we can all agree on here:

1. Body hair grafts will always retain their donor characteristics. If you transplant thicker, coarser, wavy hair follicles on the scalp, they will continue to grow this way.

thats not entirely true. opinions are very mixed on that. over time BHT can take on the characteristics of head hair thats implanted for some.

some ppl have very course beard and body hair. others have softer hair them resembles scalp hair. so saying body hair will ALWAYS retain the donor characteristics is not true for all.

not gonna work for everyone I agree but a HT in general isn't gonna work for everyone. beard hair tho does tend to turn grey before head hair does tho and of course the anagen, telegen and catogen phases are different. nothing hair dye can't fix tho....

Busa,

I've heard some say it can take on scalp characteristics. However, I haven't seen any proof. I also don't quite understand the thought process behind this either. Hair transplant surgery, in general, is based on the theory of "donor dominance." Meaning that follicles from their donor region retain their donor characteristics. To me, this makes sense. Do you have any images showing a change? I'd be interested to see. If so, it would be an interesting phenomenon to study.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The results for this pt (11k graft repair) is absolutely spectacular to say the least. Having undergo a very extensive repair case myself with Dr Umar-all I can say is that he is at the the highest level of his game and a graduated master surgeon. I do not know what the prices are in Europe, etc. but for above to say you can get the same in Europe for 30K-then be his or my guest-go there. To do 11K grafts on Dr U's surgical table- people who have never had any work-do you realize how much work and days are involved? I know from first hand. For some posters who post things like " i could have only do 1000 grafts somewhere else to achieve the same result as another Dr's that used 5000 grafts" is complete bogus. Go get the 1k grafts then somewhere else too.

you do not even really have to count the numbers of grafts-but rather the number of days Dr Umar and his team work exclusively on you day after day. I have said this, and will say it again-I only trust Dr Umar working on my scalp. 11K grafts is probably 8-10 days of high intensity work on your scalp. His prices are warranted.

check out my story.

the before pics were done by 2 horrible Dr's in Toronto. Dr Paul Cotterill was responsible for all the plugs and Dr Martin Unger for the horrific scalp reductions.

the after is Dr Umar's spectacular results. You do not have to be the judge-because I have many judges-my family, friends, and co-workers

1 last comment about 11K graft pt. Although results incredible-all you have to do is add a bit of hair cream "balm"- it is white and good texture-something like this:

men-u Ultra Create and Shape Hair Pomade | Grooming

in my experience-i cannot tell the difference between my scalp hair and beard transplanted hair.

Dr Umar-if you are reading this-all I want to say is god bless you and you will always have a special place in my heart. Anyone that needs regular work (virgin head) or repair-at the very least-have a consult with Dr U.

Perry A.

• 2 weeks later...

In the interest of transparency, we'd like to address the removal of comments posted in this discussion by gram along with related responses by other members.

Longtime members know that this forum works hard to maintain a fair and balanced environment in which to discuss hair restoration experiences. We allow anyone to express their opinions and share their experiences whether those experiences are good or bad. However, our Terms of Service require that anyone sharing negative experiences with a physician must provide that doctor with the necessary information and permission required to publicly address those concerns. Of course, the member is not asked to publicly divulge his identity.

When we contacted gram privately about his case, he indicated that he did not wish to contact Dr. Umar and provide this necessary information needed for Dr. Umar to address his case publicly. Therefore, those comments have been removed from this discussion. in the event gram decides to provide his information and give the doctor permission to share his side of the story, we will reinstate his comments and allow the discussion to continue.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thank you David for fostering an atmosphere of fairness in the community.

Our office made an attempt to determine whether or not the user known as Gram was indeed treated by our clinic. However we were not able to find any support to verify his status as our patient. As a clinic, we take our patient follow-up very seriously and are always looking for their input on the work they had done. But we need to establish the authenticity of someone claiming to be our patient.

I can appreciate the policy to an extent David. Our goal should be to identify what is subjective as such, and disregard what is dishonest. With that said, why do negative comments receive scrutiny that positive comments are not subjected to? After all. it is just as likely that a shill post a dishonest negative comment trying to slander a clinic as it is that a shill FROM a clinic might post a dishonest positive comment attempting to promote a clinic. Why not make every positive poster provide photos or reveal their identity as well if negative commentators must??? I'm not a cynacle person and I do appreciate the forum for what it is as it helps to spread mostly ttruth pertaining to patient experiences and educate those who are searching for answers. My take away, however, from this whole exchange is that this forum puts a much greater emphasis on protecting doctors versus truly allowing patients to make an informed decision. Obviously a negative comment can be detrimental to a clinic's business. To me what's more important though is that a perpetual stream of dishonest positive comments can perhaps harm a patient not to mention negative comments which are swept under the rug due to some double standard in fact checking. There are many many valid reasons as to why a patient wouldn't want to disclose a photo or their identity specific to a hair transplant whether the outcome be good or bad. This post at this point has nothing to do with my personal and real experience as a HT patient or Dr. Umar's clinic. The policy is unfair, one sided, and looks out for clinics and not patients.

gram,

I appreciate your thoughtful and civil response.

why do negative comments receive scrutiny that positive comments are not subjected to? After all. it is just as likely that a shill post a dishonest negative comment trying to slander a clinic as it is that a shill FROM a clinic might post a dishonest positive comment attempting to promote a clinic. Why not make every positive poster provide photos or reveal their identity as well if negative commentators must???

First, let's be fair. No one is asked to publicly reveal their identity. We do require anyone publishing critical comments to privately identify themselves to the physician so that the physician has the information necessary to respond to those comments. They do not need to provide the publishers of this community with their identity if they choose not to.

Frankly, I'm always surprised by people who find this unfair. Prior to being hired by this forum, I had concerns of my own regarding my first hair transplant and had no qualms whatsoever about allowing my doctor to share photos and discuss the details of my case. At that time, I did not publish full face photos and the images were suitably edited.

We do hold positive posters accountable. You may recall a long-running issue we had recetnly with a physician who was being considered for recommendation. Numerous first time posters were coming out of the woodwork in praise of this doctor while simultaneously attacking anyone who dared question his work. We identified these posts as sharing IP addresses and those members were removed.

In addition, it's common for members to hold other members accountable when they post glowing praise of a doctor with no photos to support it. The phrase "pics or it didn't happen" is the mantra in this case.

The bottom line is that for positive or negative comments to hold any weight, they should be accompanied by details and photos. Sometimes work is bad but many times, patients have unrealistic expectations or a distorted view of the outcome. Should anonymous and potentially damaging comments be allowed to stand in a public forum when they have the potential to damage a physician's reputation? I honestly don't think so and I don't think it's unfair to ask someone who is making those claims to allow the physician to respond publicly.

from this whole exchange is that this forum puts a much greater emphasis on protecting doctors versus truly allowing patients to make an informed decision. Obviously a negative comment can be detrimental to a clinic's business. To me what's more important though is that a perpetual stream of dishonest positive comments can perhaps harm a patient not to mention negative comments which are swept under the rug due to some double standard in fact checking.

Can we call it an "informed decision" if they are influenced by unsubstantiated complaints?

The fact is that you can find many critical reviews of both recommended and non-recommended doctors on this forum. However, the ones that are allowed to remain in the public eye are those where the surgeon as been allowed to respond. In some of those cases, the community sides with the doc. In others, they side with the patient. That's fair and open discourse.

Going back to my own example, I was a new member here once and I had a hair transplant I was not happy with from a recommended surgeon. I shared my concerns and my photos. I allowed the doctor to share his opinion and photos and I resolved my issues with the help of the members of this forum, Bill and the doctor. My threads and posts were not deleted. I was not censored and my concerns were not brushed under the carpet. No, I was hired as a moderator instead, giving me an even greater voice in this community. To me, that speaks the loudest about this forum's ethics and credibility.

Now, I would really like to stop taking this thread off topic. It was created to review and discuss one particular case of Dr. Umar's and not to debate his entire body of work.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I wud have to agree with the Wax figure comment. I guess it just goes to show using all body hairs to create a natural looking HT just isn't gonna happen.

For such a patient, he would need to wait greater than the 7 months at which the progress image was taken. In my treatment instructions, I was given one year before doing any hair colouring. I've had hair straightening done in the past, and my recollection was it's harsher than hair color. It would be risky to fix this guy's hair before it has had a chance to fully heal and manifest the results. After that point, something like hair straightening could help improve his appearance and not damage his investment.