Patient’s Hair Transplant Repair Results By Dr. Umar - Before and After 11,000 Grafts

The image blurs when zoomed in for a close up and moves away quickly so I suspect that a detailed image may not be as aesthetically satisfactory to many who might be considering such extreme surgery. Not to mention that 11K grafts X $8.00 per graft = Yikes!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it possible to extract so many grafts on the face and have no visible scars but when other people previously went through fue and shave down to skin in the back of their head, you can see white dots?

Can ugraft be used to extract donor hair from back of head?

I've been thinking the same thing is how come when face hair is removed that you can't see any white dots or pitting so to speak.

My thought is that the face skin is a lot different from scalp & heals a lot better.

Maybe somebody can chime in just my thoughts.

Anyone?

I have had 800 beard grafts and shave with a DE razor. I am fair skinned and have noticed no dots. I have also had 2900 FUE scalp grafts extracted and did not see any dots when my donor area was shaved down for the second procedure. YMMV however.

A nod to Thatoldchestnut. Very clever comment and philosophical observation on your part :) Mr Tillman, with all due respect, apart from red herrings popping up on this thread there are no issues to address. The

is self explanatory and straight forward enough.

Dr. Umar's Work in Body Hair Transplantation - Publications in Peer Reviewed Medical Journals

Here is a link where you can access our peer reviewed medical publications on our work in body hair transplantation featured in journals like:

Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, JAMA Dermatology (formerly the Archives of Dermatology), JAAD (Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology), Facial Plastic Surgery and Annals of Plastic Surgery.

Click here to access articles

Patient is Happy

Also, If this was not made clear earlier, I’d like to emphasize that the patient himself is very pleased with his results and with our efforts to meet his objectives.

We naturally realize that everyone will have different tastes and opinions, not only on this matter but throughout just about all facets of life. if you listen to his own voice in the video you would find a gentleman who is thrilled with his outcome and transformation.

Body Hair Transplant - Hair Texture

As for the feedback on the patient’s hair texture, keep in mind that his results shown here are only at seven months. Some individuals may choose professional straightening with chemicals. But this is not recommended for the newly situated grafts as of now. As stated earlier, the final appearance of the body hair grafts will vary depending on genetics and styling choices. Here are additional patient examples which help illustrate this.

And like the main patient featured in this thread, these are yet other individuals (among many others)who are also extremely delighted with their results and have expressed this sentiment through verbal testimonials in their own words featured in the videos.

Representing Dr. Umar of DermHair Clinic.

Dr. Umar is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

As an addendum to my last post here are specific links to several of our articles:

JAMA - The Transplanted Hairline: Leg Room for Improvement by Dr.Umar

Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America - Use of Body and Beard Hair in Hair Restoration

Annals of Plastic Surgery - Hair Transplantation in Patients With Inadequate Head Donor Supply Using Non-Head Hair

Plastic Reconstructive Aesthetic Surgery - Use of beard hair as a donor source to camouflage the linear scars of follicular unit hair transplant.

Edited by Abbie
clarification

Hair transplant surgery is a topic that breeds controversy. Perhaps that is one of the reasons that communities like this thrive. Sometimes we get so caught up in arguing about the details that we forget the most important aspect of elective cosmetic surgery is patient satisfaction. If the patient is happy, the procedure is a success in my eyes.

Some members would not be satisfied with this outcome. Others might prefer it to being bald or wearing a hair system. Personally, I think Dr. Umar excels at helping "lost cause" cases find happiness at seeing their reflections in a mirror again.

As for the workings of the UGraft, I'm not a physicist, biologist, engineer or a medical doctor. I have a BA in anthropology and M.Ed. in education. While I think it's appropriate and responsible for laypeople and professionals alike to question claims about new devices and techniques, it seems inappropriate to phrase those questions in such a way as to imply that those claims are false or impossible.

In my opinion, Abbie is correct that anyone taking such a stance should take the time to read and fully comprehend the peer reviewed publications first.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

David,

If you are referring to me regarding the questions about the technique or technology, I'll refrain from addressing it any further.

Abbie,

Thank you for providing links that are accessible. I have read each article with interest. They are well written and informative. From what I read however there is no mention of there being an issue with traditional FUE leaving raised scar formations.

This reduces the extraneous tissue on the skin's surface which would otherwise contribute to raised scarring.

If there are other links to articles you can provide that specifically reference this problem of raised scarring due to the use of non Ugraft FUE punches it would be greatly appreciated.

David,

If you are referring to me regarding the questions about the technique or technology, I'll refrain from addressing it any further.

Joe,

That was really not my intention at all. No one can refute your experience, knowledge and sincerity. I think some good questions have been raised and should continue to be raised. What surprised me in reading over the thread is what I perceived as an accusatory and negative tone in a number of the responses.

There are several issues being discussed here.

1. Does UGraft work as described?
  2. Can so many beard grafts be harvested and leave no or very little visible scarring?
  3. Accusations that Dr. Umar is purposely and fraudulently misrepresenting his results.

Geez, even his theme song has been blasted! For record, I think the song is cute.

We're here to ask challenging questions and to hold clinics accountable for their claims but can't this be done in a friendly manner? I think Abbie has done an admirable job of representing her clinic on our forum. I've also reached out privately to Dr. Umar on a number of occasions to probe him with questions and he's always responded promptly, courteously and professionally.

Let's not shoot the messenger. I'm sure Dr. Umar would happy to address questions and constructive criticism in a non-hostile environment.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
David,

Abbie,

Thank you for providing links that are accessible. I have read each article with interest. They are well written and informative. From what I read however there is no mention of there being an issue with traditional FUE leaving raised scar formations.

If there are other links to articles you can provide that specifically reference this problem of raised scarring due to the use of non Ugraft FUE punches it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Abbie,

I was hoping there would be more information about the raised scarring that traditional FUE leaves behind. If this is a problem then readers and patients need to be alerted. To reiterate, the links you helpfully provided did not mention this issue so some sort of reference with photographic documentation would be appreciated.

Very interesting thread for a person like myself to follow and learn, sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between real results versus false advertisement. At the end of the day it has to be said that Dr. Umar has helped many hopeless cases, but not all of them have been good results - as expected in any profession, howevevr utility of ugraft is yet to be proven.

My Thread: 

Mr Tillman,

All wounds heal by forming scars which can be either raised above surrounding skin; flushed with the rest of the skin; or depressed below skin level. Factors like wound size, wound configuration, physiology, interceding conditions like infection etc can influence which of the 3 scenarios dominate. These are basic wound healing principles. FUE wounds are not magical in any sense and must follow these same principles. Back in 2005, Dr Umar wrote this article that partly touches on the subject:https://www.dermhairclinic.com/wp-content/uploads/Wound-Sizes-Configuration-And-Body-Hair-Transplant-Wound-Healing.pdf

In designing the UGraft Punch, Dr U. took into account these factors. While advantages have resulted, there is no claiming that FUE wounds somehow transcend basic wound healing principles. Regardless, most would agree that donor areas would typically look better after FUE (not mattering the tool used) than after FUSS.

Pardon me for not seeing a productive aim to this topic. I thank you for your question. But I would like to restrict further involvement to the original premise of this thread, namely; the reported case whose wound healing remains pristine (as evidenced by beard healing after removal of several thousands of grafts). Again feel free to email Dr. U directly at drumar@dru.com should you still need more information.

Abbie,

UGraft is configured to create uniquely shaped wound cavities which are inverted at the bottom. This reduces the extraneous tissue on the skin's surface which would otherwise contribute to raised scarring.

You statement was made as an absolute, in that without the use of Ugraft raised scarring would result. I think it is fair to ask for examples of this raised scarring that, according to your "if/then" logic, will happen without the use of Ugraft. I'm only referencing your own statement and asking for reference. If this is an issue that occurs without Ugraft then every patient reading this should be made aware with visual references.

Regardless, most would agree that donor areas would typically look better after FUE (not mattering the tool used) than after FUSS.

Why is FUSS even mentioned? It is irrelevant to the discussion.

Again feel free to email Dr. U directly at drumar@dru.com should you still need more information.

I think I will. Thank you for your answers. I'll email Dr. Umar about this today.

Mr Tillman, As usual thank you for your opinion. In addition to the links, articles (including our peer reviewed medical publications) and information we provided in earlier posts, I think contacting Dr. Umar on any areas you still need clarification on would be very helpful for your knowledge and understanding.

Now lets refocus the thread back to its primary purpose, the case presentation:

Mr Tillman, As usual thank you for your opinion. In addition to the links, articles (including our peer reviewed medical publications) and information we provided in earlier posts, I think contacting Dr. Umar on any areas you still need clarification on would be very helpful for your knowledge and understanding.

Now lets refocus the thread back to its primary purpose, the case presentation:

Well I think it's a great result Abbie despite what some of the whinging negative posters on here might think.

The patient is clearly delighted which is all that matters at the end of the day :)

I don't want to get tangled up in this thread too much but want to make a couple of comments. I am not defending the clinic by any means but would like to give a point of view.

1) Clinics are smart to get patients to sign lengthy consent forms/documents. This is cosmetic surgery so you are subjecting yourself to medically unnecessary surgery therefore the clinic wants to protect themselves in case something happens.

Also to be honest, we are a neurotic bunch to a certain extent - hence why we obsess over our hair - some of us more than others and a higher percentage of us from higher income brackets who could take up legal issues if we are not happy with a sub-par result. So they want to make us aware that a sub-par result is a possibility by signing off on certain statements of understanding.

Heck I had to sign a 20 page document and I was fine with that. Have you guys every signed mortgage papers or loan documents? lengthy as well ... doesn't mean they are shady, just protecting themselves.

2) Regarding increased use of anesthetics. You should discuss your wishes with your physician. I was given Valium with my consent to relax me for the procedure along with the anesthetic. There was no problem with this.

It sounds like the clinic may make people drowsy/less aware of the pain of the procedure. So what? you want to be aware of the 3000 pokes in your head?

Culturally there may be less tolerance to pain and this is how it is dealt with. Some percentage of people even in dentist's appointments say 'knock me out Doc, I don't want to be aware'.

If you have concerns about the meds, have an open and frank discussion with your wishes going into to the surgery.

Again I am not defending the clinic but tired of how people always put a negative tint on practices they don't understand and immediately jump to conspiracy theory.

3) Regarding the poor outcome, well thats a skill issue not a legal issue. Sadly you may have been one of the earlier FUE patients and now the clinic has improved their skills by more volume of patients. Sorry you had that outcome.

Gambler: Thank you for refocusing on the topic. We appreciate your compliment. This patient is exceedingly pleased with his results.

XZ: Good to have reasonable minds in the discussion

Edited by David - Moderator
references deleted posts by fueonly

Given that fueonly has not responded to my request to substantiate the wild accusations he made in this thread, the offending posts have been deleted along with any responses to his comments that simply would not make sense without the original comments.

Due to his history of violating our Terms of Service by hijacking threads with inflammatory and unsupported accusations his account has been suspended.

Moving forward, let's please keep this discussion on topic.

I realize that success is a relative term but to be more convinced that this $80K procedure was objectively successful I would like to see photos and video in good lighting, unfiltered video images than do not blur and fade out as the camera zooms in, and close ups of the facial skin after being shaved.

The results of this individual are nothing less than spectactular and I can tell you as previous NW 5 patient of Dr Umar I know this patient is relieved. I consider myself very knowlegeable of BHT and during follow up visits back to see Dr Umar he ask in most cases to allow your hair to grow out and not cut it if possible to see its full potential so that he can evaluate every aspect of growth. I looked at this patients result and the first thing that came into my mind was he simply needs to have a haircut to shape his hair up nicely. Nothing more. The coverage here is exceptional and what I'm most interested in is the temporal angles which are perfect . When using beard hair there are limitations to legnth of hair. It is what it is. It can get a little frizzy if grown out too long. It isnt used for necessarily legnth - but primarily for filler and density. For my own hair I keep it cut short which is ideal for beard hair in my own case.

I was Dr Umar's first large mega-session BHT patient nearly 10 years ago . I was in the early era of early BHT when beard hair was being evaluated for use but not in practice and other BHT (chest/leg/arms) were the primary sources . I was a NW (5) at the time and had to make multiple trips out to Dr Umar's office on the west coast. I remember very well on my 3rd visit back Dr Umar had begun using beard hair as the first primary BHT source. It was life-changing for me because of the significant characteristics that beard hair offered over other BHT sources. Having had hair taken from every location on my body I can tell you it is beneficial especially in large NW cases such as this and my own. The ironic part of all this is I came back on this forum posting my experiences and at the time the most miraculous aspect was the wound healing . You literally could not tell the beard hair extraction sites the next day. When telling my experience every doubter in the world (literally) was on the forum doubting me and saying how it wasn't possible to get these results. That is when I decided years ago that these forums are good for those seeking information but are also filled with those ' thinking what they know offers others benefit' but no idea what they are talking about.

What I learned over the years from my BHT / Beard hair transplants:

1) Excellent option for all scars.

2) Provides exceptional coverage with lower graft counts especially in large NW cases.

3) Has limitations to legnth but provides excellent density - do not expect it to look exactly as scalp hair .

4) When knowing these legnth limitations work with a hairstyle that best fits you. If using beard hair as the primary source (>50 %)

to cover the Norwood area you will likely need to use a shorter hair cut style (keeping the hair around 1/2 inch in legnth). This

limitation is lessened when the beard hair is used as a hybrid and mixed with larger proportions of scalp hair as the primary

source and legnth of hair is not an issue.

5) Understanding the limitations/ & expectations of beard hair / BHT is crucial.

6) The biggest issue is that individuals who say BHT is not an appropriate source make undesirable comparisons to scalp hair and

trying to make them so . They are not the same and just because they are not does not mean beard hair is not a desirable

option for acheiving coverage.

I dont visit the forums too much anymore for the primary reason that you have so many arm chair quarterbacks. Those who haven't sat in the chair or laid on the table yet they come on forums with their so called opinions and (expertise) telling people what they should do or what they did was a mistake . For those people who constantly doubted me almost 10 years ago when I posted the first body hair mega sessions- today there are many satisfied patients all over the world that now are relieved of hair loss because of Dr Umar's absolute relentless efforts to make BHT a successs. The problem is on these forums you will always have the doubters and people who have no idea (in real life) what they are talking about . People who want to dig deep to find issues when nothing more than a simple haircut trimming is all that is necessary. There is forum life and there is real life. Thanks to Dr Umar I and many others now live a real life while the forum experts ' try to figure it all out' . It will never change.

BHT/Scalp Hair Mega-Sessions

Edited by Heliboy