2015 Spring Update on Piloscopic Surgical Technique

Many patients have inquired about the current status of development for the piloscopic surgical technique. Therefore, I wanted to share a link from my recent presentation delivered at the 2015 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Meeting that provides both an overview and an update. I hope that you find this helpful.

Dr. Wesley,

Thank you for sharing this update with the community. The presentation is quite fascinating. I look forward to the data from future clinical trials.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 3 months later...

The piloscope is now ready for limited clinical use in a select group of patients. Development and testing of the device that enables select harvesting of the stem-cell containing portion of hair follicles without traumatizing the overlying skin surface has led us to this point. The company (Pilofocus) overview can be seen here.

Beginning at the end of July 2015, a handful of patients will be able to undergo very limited surgical hair restoration with this method. The cases will initially involve transplantation of approximately 100-200 follicular units. Although this "scarless surgical" method will eventually be made available to all hair types, patients most suitable for the initial piloscopic procedures are those who have previously undergone follicular unit transplantation (FUT) as the instrument will harvest donor hair adjacent to their donor scar. There is no charge for patients selected to take part in these initial, small pilosocpic procedures.

Please email, Barbara, our office manager at info@drcarloswesley.com or call 844-PILOFOCUS (1-844-745-6362) for more information.

This seems very very promising! Dr., what type of trauma can one expect when the tissue is "separated" ? Would there be a lot of swelling in the "sub" space from the minor trauma? Also, can the port incisions be made on scar tissue from a previous FUT procedure? Very excited and the study on increased graft survivability is astounding... just awesome!

You only live once...

This is the first I've heard of this as well. Not only is this fascinating, but the presentation was extremely easy to follow and very well executed. Thanks for sharing and educating... Looking forward to more updates.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 months later...

Here is a video summary of the lecture I delivered at last week's ISHRS Scientific Meeting in Chicago. It provides an update on the status of piloscopic hair surgery as well as a few live surgical clips.

The password for viewing is "piloscopy"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...