Marijuana and FUE transplant

New2HTN

I have a FUE hair transplant scheduled in a few days. I am a 30 year old healthy male who has quit cigarettes the past few days and Dont plan on smoking cigarettes post surgery. However I do use medical marijuana once a day to help with insomnia. My question is if I'm only smoking 1-2 joints per day with no cigarettes will it negatively affect my Fue transplant 1500 grafts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I?ve heard different rumors that said that it will not affect the FUE.

I don?t smoke marijuana but I guess it is less harmful than cigarettes.

Maybe you can wait a few days without any smoke after the transplantation to give your grafts the chance to take root.

I?ve heard different rumors that said that it will not affect the FUE.

I don?t smoke marijuana but I guess it is less harmful than cigarettes..

ummmm no. inhalation volume with marijuana is up to 4 times higher than with tobacco. in other words, you inhale deeper and hold your breath with the smoke for longer before exhaling therefore

more poisonous carbon monoxide and tar entering into the lungs.

to the op why don't u exercise some common sense here. ur spending thousands of dollars on a HT and no one really knows one way or the other if marijuana hurts or helps so why wud u chance it? put the weed away for a few weeks. I'm sure u can go a few weeks without getting high....:rolleyes:

marijuana has been shown to CAUSE insomnia not fix it. there is absolutely nothing in marijuana that directly helps one go to sleep. thats all in ur head like it is for most who want to smoke weed and find a "Medical" justification for it.

Debunking The

Does marijuana use cause sleep problems? Medical News Today

Edited by BUSA

• 3 years later...

I did a lot of research on this prior to HT.

My understanding is that the main reason smoking tobacco is contraindicated for HT or basically any type of surgery is because nicotine is a vasoconstrictor.  This means it constricts the veins, raises blood pressure, and can cause less blood supply.  It’s why smoking is associated with heart disease and high blood pressure.  It’s known that nicotine is bad for wound healing which needs blood flow to be optimal.

Cannabis/THC is generally understood to be a vasodilator.  This means it opens the blood vessels, increases blood supply, and lowers blood pressure.  It’s why THC can be a wonderful medication for glaucoma, for instance, as it can reduce intraocular pressure.  In theory, this may be good for newly placed grafts.  It’s at least probably not as bad as nicotine, particularly if vaped or eaten.

My understanding is that the act of lighting any plant on fire isn’t really the thing here, it’s the blood flow effects of the active ingredients.

Edited by purple18
  • Like 1

Interesting - an almost FOUR YEAR OLD thread from a poster who was a one-day and gone participant is now resurrected.  By a NEW MEMBER no less....whose total of three (3) posts - so far - bear a striking similarity to a recently deleted member whose non-sequiters were legendary for his lack of any insight or wisdom. 

I'm watching this one closely.

Edited by voxman

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:37 AM, voxman said:

Interesting - an almost FOUR YEAR OLD thread from a poster who was a one-day and gone participant is now resurrected.  By a NEW MEMBER no less....whose total of three (3) posts - so far - bear a striking similarity to a recently deleted member whose non-sequiters were legendary for his lack of any insight or wisdom. 

I'm watching this one closely.

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I'm not this person come back from the banned.  Just a guy who recently had a HT and posted a couple legit questions and shared some research he did on a woefully understudied topic.  THC is a vasodilator.  Just like Minoxidil is.  That makes it fundamentally different from nicotine, a notable vasoconstrictor.  Many folks hear "smoking" and consider it the same.

Sorry for using an old thread to do it, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, purple18 said:

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I'm not this person come back from the banned.  Just a guy who recently had a HT and posted a couple legit questions and shared some research he did on a woefully understudied topic.  THC is a vasodilator.  Just like Minoxidil is.  That makes it fundamentally different from nicotine, a notable vasoconstrictor.  Many folks hear "smoking" and consider it the same.

Sorry for using an old thread to do it, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry ~ I was not talking about you - I was referring to the poster following yours.  I'm perfectly fine with your resurrecting the old thread given your reply. 

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em! 

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• 5 months later...

Yes of course it will affect the operation and the way the hair sprouts touch the main root . If I were you, I'd stop Smoking a month before surgery . But if it is too late it is better to use a special shampoo that cleanses the hair roots from all harmful substances as well as drug residue. For more info check this site https://www.lpath.com/best-synthetic-urine-kit-reviews/