Impact of hair transplant to existing natural hair

Hi Experts,

I hail from the New Jersey area and have been experiencing gradual hairloss for the last 10 years or so. My hairloss has reached a prominent stage now and I am contemplating to go for a HT to improve the density of the hair in the region whereit has thinned significantly (pic attached - I have also encircled the effected area). But I am worried that a HT attempt in the region where I still have my natural hair, will have an impact on the existing hair follicles (shock-loss?) and damage them.

Please advise. Also, if you suggest that a HT would do no harm, please recommend me a good HT surgeon in the NJ, US area if you are familiar with any from your personal experience. Also, is there a particular type of HT that I should consider? Thank you very much in reading my post and for helping out!

PS: I had tried Minoxidil solns (rogaine) earlier, discontinuing which had adverse effects with increased hairloss and dandruff/dry scalp. I have tried consuming saw palmetto orally to inhibit DHT without much luck. I prefer staying away from Propecia due to the side effects.

FullSizeRender.jpg.f42717f4118a1ad00f5dd987a799220a.jpg

themojitoknight,

Patients usually get transplants for one of two reasons. Some have very thin or bald areas and transplant into those areas to replace what they have lost. Others, like yourself have thinning, but may still be able to somewhat conceal that loss with existing hair. The latter will get an HT because they don't want to be completely bald before they do anything about their hair loss. Both types are great candidates for surgery. The only issue with patients like yourself with native hair still in the area that is to be worked on, is that it is indeed more sensitive to "shock - loss." Thankfully men are less sensitive to this phenomenon than women and rarely lose a large amount of hair. This shock loss usually resolves after a few months and grows back with your transplanted hair. Some of the finer hairs that were already on their way out may not return, but in the end, they most likely did not impact the overall density anyway.

The surgeon's technique can play a part in the occurrence or not of shock loss. It may also be helpful to use minoxidil pre and post operatively as well as low level light therapy. Finally, temporary use of a hair system may be the last resort. After all of this, you may still experience it, and it may just be something you have to be prepared for.

Some patients that start minoxidil have shedding of hair. This is typically a good sign and indicates that the med should have a favorable effect on preventing hair loss and possibly thickening some fine hairs. I would recommend trying it again. You really can't tell if a hair med is actually helping unless you use it for more then 9 months. Unfortunately hair grows very slowly. The dry scalp can be helped by using an antidandruff shampoo once or twice a week or by backing off slightly on the minoxidil (once a day instead of twice). I would try the shampoo route first.

Saw palmetto is unregulated and theoretically should have similar side effects as Propecia. If you want a DHT blocker I would recommend seeing an HT doc and getting their advice on its pros and cons.

Also, is there a particular type of HT that I should consider?

They should use stick-and-place method. Smaller openings = less blood loss and less risk of scything through existing follicles.

But there are no guarantees in this business but as the doc says the healthy hairs usually grow back.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

TJK,

Your hair looks similar to mine before my first transplant. I would highly recommend getting some opinions from at least two doctors. It looks like you have quite a bit of hair so the surgeon who performs would have to have a great skill set to perform stick and place method Matt mentioned above. Get referrals on similar cases and review past pictures of clients of the surgeon you choose. I have been extremely happy with my first result and going back in to thicken up areas that have receded and lost density. On a final note, though Propecia doesn't stop frontal hair lose and recession, it has worked great for me the past 8 years in stabilizing crown loss. Best of luck.