2000 grafts enough for Norwood class 6?

Good morning to all the folks here. I much appreciate you all taking time to share your stories and valuable experiences with other members.

I am contemplating plunging in for FUE.

40 years of age, Norwood class 6 male patern baldness. I tgought I will ask you guys some questions in the hope of finding answers.

I have been trying to find a good FUE surgeon but there are too many threads and it is confusing to me. I had initial consultation with a surgeon at Maryland who has suggested 2000 FUE grafts for front, lateral humps and forelock. My questions are.

1. Do you have any recommendations for FUE surgeons in south of USA?, prefrably, TX, FL or MS who has had good track records, easy to deal with and natural looking results?

2. I think 2000 grafts for Norwood class 6 is too less?, what are your opinions?

3. I am being quoted 10$ per FUE, is this the resonable price for a surgeon with good reputation?

I apologize in advance if some of these questions have already been answered. I appreciate your kindness in responding to my queries.

Thank you.

My Thread: 

Harin,

2,000 grafts would provide very thin coverage. NW6 coverage generally requires 5,000 - 7,000 grafts (rough estimate). Did the doctor discuss the surgical plan? Did you agree on sparse coverage? This could be an option if you're looking to keep the hair cut short. But in general, NW6 patients receive a larger number of grafts.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hello Harin.

I suggest you look through drs gallery's this will give you a better idea of what is necessary in terms of graft numbers for the result your aiming for.

IMO after spending $20.000 your going to be very unsatisfied with the result.

To get satisfaction you need to be looking at turkey or europe were for $20.000 you will get around 5000 grafts and IMO they are better at fue than the US drs.

Have a nice day

Good morning to all the folks here. I much appreciate you all taking time to share your stories and valuable experiences with other members.

I am contemplating plunging in for FUE.

40 years of age, Norwood class 6 male patern baldness. I tgought I will ask you guys some questions in the hope of finding answers.

I have been trying to find a good FUE surgeon but there are too many threads and it is confusing to me. I had initial consultation with a surgeon at Maryland who has suggested 2000 FUE grafts for front, lateral humps and forelock. My questions are.

1. Do you have any recommendations for FUE surgeons in south of USA?, prefrably, TX, FL or MS who has had good track records, easy to deal with and natural looking results?

2. I think 2000 grafts for Norwood class 6 is too less?, what are your opinions?

3. I am being quoted 10$ per FUE, is this the resonable price for a surgeon with good reputation?

I apologize in advance if some of these questions have already been answered. I appreciate your kindness in responding to my queries.

Thank you.

I can't imagine you would be satisfied with 2,000 grafts as a NW6. As others have noted, you'd probably be looking at something like 5,000 grafts for a cosmetically satisfactory result. There are several U.S. physicians recommended here who do quality FUE work and perform fairly large FUE sessions on a regular basis. They probably would not do that many grafts in a single procedure, so you likely would be looking at two transplant procedures separated by at least 6 to 8 months. I would suggest you contact the following recommended U.S. physicians for photographic and/or Skype initial consultations:

Dr. John Diep (MHTA Clinic - Los Gatos and San Francisco, CA)

Drs. Ron and Paul Shapiro (Shapiro Medical Group - Minneapolis, MN)

Dr. Carlos Wesely (New York, NY)

You might also contact Dr. Michael Vories (Carolina Hair Center), another recommended physician here, who recently switched from using a Neograft machine for FUE extractions (thank goodness) to manual extractions and implanter pens.

The last thing you should do is limit your choice of ht physician to a certain state or states. This is a lifetime cosmetic surgery with lifetime consequences. Getting a top-drawer result is worth a plane ticket. Some of the physicians mentioned offer partial travel reimbursements or discounts for out-of-state patients.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your input, I truly appreciate it. @Rawkerboi which surgeons in India and Turkey would give you cosmetically acceptable results?.

I have looked at Drs. Vogel a Baltimore, Dr. Shapiro so far.

Also which one of the above would do better job at FUE?.

My Thread: 

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/user_album_update.php?album_id=3845

above is the link for the pictures, left, right and back, what do you guys think?. I consulted one of the HT doctors recommended here,, and he suggested 2000 grafts, I suspect that it might suffice to front and forelock but would leave the back uncovered. I also had a recent haircut so the growth in the pictured areas are not at full thickness yet.

Thank you folke, I cannot tell you how much i appreciate all the support, it means a lot to me, and I hope to give back to theforum in future.

Edited by harin
spelling mistake

My Thread: 

You have very limited donor hair but I think 2000 grafts is reasonable. The unfortunate thing is I don't think you will get more than another 1000 grafts after that.

The best anyone could do is create a hairline and front third but it is not going to be very dense.

I would try to find similar work and consider very carefully if this is going to be satisfying enough for you, otherwise save your money.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/user_album_update.php?album_id=3845

above is the link for the pictures, left, right and back, what do you guys think?. I consulted one of the HT doctors recommended here,, and he suggested 2000 grafts, I suspect that it might suffice to front and forelock but would leave the back uncovered. I also had a recent haircut so the growth in the pictured areas are not at full thickness yet.

Thank you folke, I cannot tell you how much i appreciate all the support, it means a lot to me, and I hope to give back to theforum in future.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I see you as a 6 which may progress to a 7. 7000-9000 grafts are likely needed to achieve a natural looking full coverage which would not appear as an obvious HT. I would avoid US physicians unless money is no obstacle and you are a multimillionaire. Vories is apparently more reasonable and has recently adopted Lorenzo's proven techniques of manual extraction and implanter pens. His earlier work with Neograft is certainly suspect, but he appears to have moved on, spent some time observing Lorenzo's clinic in Madrid and may be the nearest clone of Intercapillar on the Continent. The recommended Turkish and Indian FUE docs would give you more grafts for your money but I would caution against undergoing a two day mega-session. You have too much riding on the outcome and too little donor hair to lose. Be patient, play it safe and expect two or even three surgeries to get the optimal results. Under no circumstances would I undergo a strip FUT if I were you.

It also comes down to the size of the surface area being grafted and determining the proposed level of restored density. An arbitrary number is too ambiguous without knowing the dimensions of the recipient area. Also, the degree of coarseness is critical in producing the illusion of coverage. The greater degree of caliber, the less grafts needed and vice versa.

Although 2,000 grafts may provide a start, you will undoubtedly need more work in the future. In addition, if the surgeon recommended putting some grafts in the lateral hump areas, then he may in fact see some diffusion and miniaturization going on which implies that area can recede and then pull down with additional loss in the near future. You will need reserve donor to fill in those areas otherwise you will develop a break/gap in visual coverage all along that area on both sides.

No doubt anyone who has already reached class 6 has more progressive loss in the years ahead so none of us have enough scalp donor to cover the entire top of our scalp including the crown.

Lastly, IMHO $10.00 per grafts US sounds way too high when there are enough talented FUE surgeons who charge less and still provide a great result...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

@hairweare and gillenator, thanks for your encouraging words and response.

As far as the current hairline goes I think I have reached the peak of shedding and the pattern has been stable for 4-5 years. Similar to what my father has. I don't necessarily want a full head thick hair, slightly less diffuse pattern if made to look like naturally thinning hair would definitely be acceptable.

WITH REGARDS TO FUE and finesse in techniques would you guys have any recommendations with your personal experiences?.

My Thread: 

As others have said 2000 grafts is unlikely to give you anything but a hairline and sparse coverage over the frontal area of the scalp. Buzzed down very short it might look ok if the contrast between your hair and scalp is not too harsh. Grown out to any length and it is not going to look good at all.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

2000 grafts on a Norwood 6 is very light indeed and I would shave down personally.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Harin,

I couldn't see your photos for some reason.

Regardless, I don't like some of the things I'm hearing. "Low donor density," "sparse coverage," "FUE."

FUE scars will be less visible. No argument. However, 2,000 grafts extracted via FUE and implanted on a NW6?? I don't think this is going to meet your expectations. No guarantee strip will either. If it doesn't and you want to shave, you'll be left with a linear scar as well. But, I still think strip is probably your best bet in this situation.

Any reason why you think 2,000 grafts is all you have available? Can you re-post some images?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

@hairweare and gillenator, thanks for your encouraging words and response.

As far as the current hairline goes I think I have reached the peak of shedding and the pattern has been stable for 4-5 years. Similar to what my father has. I don't necessarily want a full head thick hair, slightly less diffuse pattern if made to look like naturally thinning hair would definitely be acceptable.

WITH REGARDS TO FUE and finesse in techniques would you guys have any recommendations with your personal experiences?.

harin, there are more and more surgeons performing very nice FUE results as compared to a decade ago when FUE initially hit North America and Europe.

You really have to do your own search and compare results across the board with other individuals' results that have the same thinning diffused pattern and hair characteristics as yours. In simple terms, you have many more choices and options with FUE.

As far as scarring goes, that will depend on a number of factors such as what instrumentation the surgeon is using to make the extractions, specifically punch sizes and methods of extraction (manual or motorized), along with your own physiological attributes inclusive of the quality of your scalp tissue and how well you heal.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Also wanted to mention that it is nice to hear that you have more realistic goals regarding your proposed level of restored density and the placement of your mature hairline.

Hope everything works out for you harin...only you can define what is going to make you more happy and improve the quality of your life...:)

Gillenator

Harin have you considered adding the possibility of body hair into the equation thats assuming that you have body hair to use.

Quite a few fue surgeons also offer bht just look at what umar has done for some repair cases by utilising body hair.

Just a thought.

Have a nice day.