FUE vs Strip

Hello All, I am considering a hair transplant with Dr. Lindsey (McLean, VA). He recommended doing Strip rather than FUE given that my loss is not excessive, and the strip would allow for an additional future procedure if I need it, whereas FUE would leave the donor area almost incapable of being used for future procedures. Is this accurate? I am concerned about the scarring with Strip, is it very evident if I cut my hair short? Any insight would be very helpful, I know Dr. Lindsey is one of the best but I would still like to know from people who have had multiple strip and FUE procedures, thank you in advance!!

It's tough to answer as Dr. Lindsey had the benefit of seeing you in person whereas we do not. However, the result to your donor after 1800 extractions depends on your current donor density and this may have something to do with his comment about one procedure being the max. With strip he can take out hair from the sweet spot and once it is healed he can go back for more. With FUE he has to spread the extractions out over a fairly large area to reduce the visual impact from the direct one to one ratio in the loss of density.

However, there are many many cases of patients having multiple FUE procedures to achieve results with 4000 to 6000 grafts with a few going over this number so I find the good doctor's comments unusual. Regardless, strip can indeed give you multiple procedures and the scar can be great after each pass. I am walking evidence of that having had seven surgeries, five with Dr. Wong, and I can sport a #3 buzz cut with little evidence to show for it. But, I'm an anomaly having had so many strips and hair moved AND there was never any guarantee that all of my procedures would wind up with a great, thin donor scar. In fact, one of the five I had was a minor scar revision (which turned out great). The point is, you have options but understand that once you're cut, you're cut, with FUE and FUT (strip) so ask yourself if surgery is absolutely necessary or if you can live without it.

Are you on preventative medications such Propecia? Rogaine? Avodart, etc.?

Thank you for your insight Joe, I believe I have a healthy donor site so maybe I could do more than one FUE, not sure why he recommended strip, I will ask again to clarify, so you say that you had several strips and the scars are minimal, would have a really short cut and be OK, like military buzz? I am currently on rogaine, but nothing else

A "military buzz" is shorter than I can go but I consider a military buzz to be a #2 or shorter. Thing is, with FUT, no one can guarantee a scar thin enough that you can get away with short hair cuts. No one. With FUE, no one can guarantee that white dot scarring will not be visible with shorter hair cuts. No one. The only difference is that the scarring will be more difficult to see with FUE so the chances are you can get a shorter hair cut with FUE.

FUT for 1800 grafts is madness IMO if the patient is a FUE candidate. You will find certain Dr's will recommend FUT as its a far less taxing procedure for the Dr or they may not have the required skill for FUE.

If you only need this amount of grafts check out FUE options in Europe. The money you save would pay the air ticket.

FUE in North america is a rip off & inferior compared to far cheaper in Europe IMO. Its impossible to say anymore without knowing you hair characteristics. But be sure to thoroughly research all your options as once you have a strip scar theres no going back.

Multiple FUE procedures are common place but all depends on your donor, Some people can easily get 5000-6000 upwards FUE grafts without issue.

.....not sure why he recommended strip

Unfortunately I know why he did, and I don't even have to see your head.

Rule no 1

If u ask docs to recommend fue-fut you have to check their history and examine the stakes under which they operate. i.e. America, no tech harvesting.

Dr. Lindsay comes from that Feller school. Strip first and best evertime unless patient insists otherwise, and only then FUE for touch up or little boutique jobs.

I'd avoid.

FUE or FUT debate always exists.You can clear your doubts with Dr Lindays (what school of thoughts he has )and then you can decide .

1800 grafts can be easily done with FUE or FUT. Depending on donor density one can undergo multiple fue procedures. Infact you can use half of your donor area and other half will still be virgin for future uses. if you have good body hair that can be an extra source.

Thank you for your answers, I personally would feel more comfortable having FUE given the shorter recovery and less scarring, I went to Lindsey because he has a good rep and I live in the area, but I will look around into FUE procedures, would anyone be able to recommend a well known to be good FUE doctor in the US?

I would say Dr. Lindsay and Dr. Feller would be among the best (assuming you can get through the minefield of their strip rhetoric)...but why pay so much?

Your best bet in the US is the airport. (international terminal)

=Your best bet in the US is the airport. (international terminal)

Ha ha!

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Unless you're willing to post any photos you're likely to get quite limited opinions.

I've never dealt with Dr Lindsey but he seems to me to be one of the least likely people to ever want to rip someone off. I mean he could quite easily do your 1800 FUE at $6/7 a graft and rake in $12,000+ whereas FUT he would have to charge less, maybe $4 a graft and only make $7,000 AND have to pay an extra few technicians to work that day.

If he wanted to just make money he would be crying out for you to take FUE and then have a day on the golf course the day after.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

If he wanted to just make money he would be crying out for you to take FUE and then have a day on the golf course the day after.

He won't be playing golf;

-with a sore back (from bending and twisting it. Holding it prone in awkward positions for hour after hour whilst doing the FUE)

- sore eyes from straining to see for hours the same head

- sore tendons in his fingers and wrists from hours of twisting and punching

Economically FUE is a terrible waste for american docs - a wasted opportunity cost. It's a no brainer for them economically. The problem is the damage it does to their brand by persisting with strip, even with stellar results.