FUT / Dr. Marwan Saifi (AM-MED) / 2043 grafts / Feb 16th 2015

mklDK

Thanks for commenting guys.

Regarding the forelock, it was the doctors assessment that it would stay put. He did however put a few grafts in there (I think) and if you look at my pictures you will see that the new hairline is placed higher than the line of my forelock.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your reply regarding filling out paperwork in the clinic before your HT. It all sounds very straight forward enough which is good to know. One never knows what's involved unless they experience it themselves so thanks for your feedback.

Your comments above are correct regarding density with this Doctor, he does not want to push the boundaries to much, as I found out in my research. Sometimes better safe than sorry. One can always add in grafts to increase density at a later stage as many HT patients have done.

I notice from your previous post you were calculating density of your newly transplanted hairs and excisting hairs. I was wondering did you get feedback from the Doctor how many hairs overall would have been inserted as an average to the number of grafts? I know you had a FUT procedure , but I understand in a FUE procedure the amount of hairs per graft can be cherry picked in advanced from 1,2,3 or 4 hairs. It might be easily possible to have an average of maybe 2.7 or 2.8 hairs per graft.

At the end of the day it probably does not make a whole lot of difference which procedure averages whatever number, the most important thing is an excellent Doctor with attention to all the important details who will carry out the work.

I was just curious if you did get feedback on the numbers.?

Best of luck again mklDK, .....thanks for the posts............Paddy

I asked into the hair count and he answered with some rough numbers. From what I figure, I received an average of 2.5 hairs per graft, but nobody knows. He also pointed out the exact same thing you end up concluding - it is all about the doctors skill in placing the grafts that counts. Not the numbers. Aesthetics, not math. For now I agree, let's see at the end of the road!

That's a reasonable conclusion to come to. I don't think you have anything to worry about either way regarding your HT, looks like you were in very safe hands.

You had a change of heart over FUE and FUT, one of the reasons you went with FUT was that you might achieve a better yield with less of a risk, now I know a few more things like price and your head not being shaved were thrown into the mix as an added bonus as well, leaving all of the above out, and as you said you could easily have afforded the higher price in FUE, How did you come to the conclusion that you would have a better yield with FUT over FUE?

Now I am not doubting for a minute that this could be the case. I'm only asking because I am thinking of FUE, like you once were, and am curious to know is there a better yield with FUT over FUE?. I know you said before as well, initally that you felt that the doctor could be a little more skilled at FUT as opposed to FUE, but after your HT you would not have any hesitation in recommending FUE as you felt he could carry out the HT in FUE and FUT equally as good.

Looking back on things now, do you feel the doctor spoke up the yield on FUT? If He did he could very well be right, who am I to disagree, or do you think he might be very very slightly in favour of recommending FUT over FUE? and perhaps this is where your doubt set in about FUE and decided on FUT because of a better yield?

Now I'm not doubting for one minute that eventually whatever decision you and the doctor came to regarding your HT was the best decision for you and everything went as well as possible thankfully, the reason I am very curious about the yield is because I have contacted Dr. Saifi and he said he would call me so I hope to discuss FUE and FUT with him.

AL the best for now , many thanks again....................Paddy.

I would be interested in the contents of your conversation with him Paddy. I'm for fue, as I wear my hair short at the back and sides and don't want a visible ht scar.

Pm me if you don't want to post the details on the thread.

Yeah Paddy, I dove into a great pool of information and eventually came out with choosing FUT. Read A LOT on the internet; I remember transection rates bothering me about FUE, but there are numerous pro's and con's. Ultimately, I just believe that FUT is the safest way to achieve the best result. Saifi told me it was ultimately up to me whether I wanted FUE or FUT, but he just mentioned that I might need to come back for a touch up with FUE. (please note that he had only seen pictures at this time) At that time I just wanted it fixed in a single session. He did not really speak up the yield, he just had that small notion and I did not want to take the chance. Maybe it means that the is not on par with his FUE, maybe he was just being realistic from what he saw in the pictures I sent him or maybe he takes extraordinary measures to protect your donor area - I dont know. Anyway, yes, I guess you can say he might "very very slightly" be in favour of FUT and I understand him when thinking about what I have read. Maybe you should make a list of pro's and con's, then ask him about points where you have doubts. In the end it is a personal choice.

Thanks for your reply. I understand where you are coming from when you say there are numerous pros and cons regarding FUE and FUT. I have researched it myself and both procedures have given amazing results to patients. In the beginning of HTs there was only the first one which is FUT ( strip ) and hair was transplanted from one part of your head to another however the instruments used by the doctor were light years away from what they use now, this in turn led to very noticeable hair transplants, hairs were very wide apart and the term " plugs " come to mind. Thankfully things have improved a thousand times since then with much improved instruments and needless to say the skill of doctors as well. Then the FUE procedure was the new kid on the block and of course having no scar with FUE was the big win on this one. So when we look at the pros and cons of FUE and FUE I have come to the conclusion that it boils down to your own personal decision just like you said. If the doctor has the ability then it doesn't matter whether it is FUE or FUT. Each procedure has been proven with amazing results. So its only human nature that maybe I was over analysing it. At the end of the day its the final result that's important not necessarily how one got there .Its just like you said, its ones personal decision.

If you Google FUE V FUT PROS AND CONS you could be reading it forever.

That was convenient regarding the room at the clinic where you and your girlfriend could sit together and have lunch.

During your procedure was the room cold or was it at normal temperature ?

From what I remember in your post there was no football game to watch? So that means no TV? I think that might have been to your advantage as I see your are a Manchester United fan, if you had been watching Manchester United playing on the TV you would have been pulling your hair as quickly as the doctor was putting them in.:):):)

All the best for now...........Paddy.

I wear my hair short on the sides and at the back as well. I generally go to a number 2 blade. When I first discovered that one could have a HT without going through the strip procedure I became very interested and wanted to know more about HT . I always had the impression of a big ugly scar on the back of my head and this put me off the idea of ever researching it properly. When I did research it, having a big ugly scar on the back of my head was not necessarily the case at all.

Instruments and techniques and doctors skills have move on a lot in the last number of years especially for keeping a scar to a very small thin line. If you look at mklDK pictures and many more pictures elsewhere of this doctors work I would be confident that the scar would be very minimal and one would have to look carefully to find it. Now I understand you can have variables like scalp laxity and number of grafts etc that might not be helpful , but more often than not a scar can be very thin and hardly noticeable.

For the above reason I personally would not rule out FUT , however at this moment in time the balance is tipped on the side of FUE being the more favourable option for me personally.

Do you have a number of grafts you require ?

I presume you are thinking of FUE at this moment in time and you are seriously thinking of Dr. Saifi.?

All the best for now...............Paddy.

Are the above figures in Sterling or Euros ? Are they based on FUT or FUE or a mix between the two ? How many grafts are they for ? Its like comparing Apples and Oranges until you know the above answers, double check all the information you received from the clinics and if you are still confused contact them to clarify all of the above and anything else that needs to be clarified.

Goodluck for now Dolph..................Paddy.

Saifi and Doganey are similar in price, Doganey is cheaper by approx. 400 euro by the looks of that.

Ergadon is nearly the double the price of the above two. Is this for the same amount of grafts as the other two?

I presume you were quoted for about 2250 grafts or so by Saifi and Doganey.?

Anyway Im sure you will come to a reasonable conclusion.

Good luck for now........................Paddy.

I did not really remember anything about the temperature, so I guess it was perfect . No, no TV Paddy, but no game on either on a Tuesday... Anyway, just observe while we get that second place in the league and it probably is ill advised to get as excited as I would, during an operation.

Saifi and Doganey are similar in price, Doganey is cheaper by approx. 400 euro by the looks of that.

Ergadon is nearly the double the price of the above two. Is this for the same amount of grafts as the other two?

I presume you were quoted for about 2250 grafts or so by Saifi and Doganey.?

Anyway Im sure you will come to a reasonable conclusion.

Good luck for now........................Paddy.

I'm really only going by what the drs suggested. The disparity in the amount quoted is strange. I'm willing to listen to any other suggestions, based on the picture I've put up here. As I said before, i'm not looking an 18 year olds hairline, just trying to lose the Bruce Willis circa 80s look.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back to the forum and thanks for your very positive update:) Fair play to ye , yer hair is flying up. Great results by the look of the photos. You must be very pleased indeed.

What do you think of watermans make me grow shampoo? can you buy it in a regular chemist shop, did Dr. Saifi recommend this shampoo?

I was surprised to read you have a little redness on your recipient area, after a couple of months, were you expecting this? I'm sure it is no harm and just takes a little time to settle down. The main thing is you have hair growing and by the look of those pictures you will have plenty of it in the not to distant future.

I'm very please for you, Thanks for the great update.

All the best for now..................................Paddy.

• 5 weeks later...

Hay all, new photos http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/user_album_update.php?album_id=3982

Steady growth, not too progressive, but I am hoping for that 3-4 month growht to kick in now.

@paddy, watermans is ok, but i doubt it had an effect. it is puchased online only. I think one would be good with any shampoo like watermans with no sufates. It is a good shampoo and I like the smell of it, but next I will try the Taoist Soap, it sounds so cool... :) Saifi has recommended neither. He has recommended some italian stuff, but it is too damn expensive.

your hair looks like you have had very good growth for only 3 months. I would be very happy with that if I was in your shoes.

Your scar looks good and Im sure the redness will calm down in time, it looks very clean .It will only get better.

Any numbness or tightness in your scalp after 3 months?

Thanks for the update, you have come a long way, congratulations.

All the best for now..................................Paddy

There is still some numbness in the area above the scar and around the crown. Recipient area is back to normal. Tightness is difficult to estimate, but is is more or less back to normal.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks fantastic. :)

How do you think it would look if you had your hair cut shorter on the top? Would it still look thick?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of having some work done but like having my hair short.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey All - new photos in my album.

@optimist: Sorry for the late response, I have been focusing on other things than this forum for a while (held a wedding). I would not know about short hair - how short is that? I think I could pull off a 2 cm cut right now, but it is still a bit thin in the transplanted areas. If you like your hair very short, you should definetely check out FUE, but I have no experience with that. For me Saifis FUT procedure did the trick and I am overly happy with the results as far.