What are the most common mistakes made in subpar procedures?

Unnatural recipient angles?

Unnatural hairline?

Over harvesting donor sites?

Low yield? (Is this a doctor mistake and can be in his control?)

Also, is there a certification that a doctor needs to pass in order to practice hair transplant surgery? I see a lot of repair done due to unnatural angle where the hairs would be perpendicular to the scalp and I wonder why? Do they blindly punch holes without proper training of how to do lateral slits?

Zyzz,

Are you a Yamaha motorbike?

Are you a two-stroke?

You ask a very good question.

What are the biggest f-ups?

I satisfy all four of your criteria.

Unnatural angles.

Well it was retrospectively (for who? patients who look stupid? Docs who are rich?) a massive mistake in the 80s - 90s.

Hair transplantation was such a cavalier enterprise then, but it also had intelligent people at the helm. Firstly the physical situation. What do pragmatic smart people do when they know that their clients are dumb? They play safe. And safe to them was to plant deep - for blood supply. Result? Plantation. Also the the mid-80s had the dreadful punch grafting, which were basically like a 'drop-in garden' so they stood up straight. I remember as a teen, my mum (mom) laughing with her friends at the guy working at the grocery shop (store) with stalks. Little did she know her own son would be taken then, and God knows if she knew now.

Unnatural hairline.

It's better, much better. jigsaw hairline is better. Looks bad immediately post-op leading many docs to abandon it, but six months later, jigsaw rules, wall of hair sucks. Once upon a time, temples were not touched. Acute angles were not touched. Now we have natural temples with most clinics.

Overharvested?

Yep, absolutely.

If you are a balding guy, you should thin out your donor site. But the patchy look with overharvested FUE is/will be common IMO.

I am overharvested, but I don't care 'cause my crown is dying anyway.

If you are talking about strip, I don't think there is such a thing. you are simply scarred.

Low Yield

Strip, I don't think yield is an issue. You can train a monkey to dissect. I wouldn't trust them or the doc, but percentage wise, they give you more fat grafts.

But screw that. Who wants a strip scar?

But Yep, with FUE mechanical, tech extracted rotary drills are my Academy Nomination for slashed and wasted grafts. Techs don't give a F&%&$. They are salaried and waiting for their pay check. It is a market situation.

You must choose FUE if you are male and under 50 IMO, but it is the wild, wild west out there.

to answer original question;

Biggest mistake,

Strip (FUT) = scar, overloading frontal zone, leaving crown sparse, forced to grow anyway

FUE = transection, overharvesting

Wreckless extraction

Prolonged exposure of extracted grafts to out of body environment

Inexperienced tech

Placing high concentrations of grafts into zones with high level of native yairs

Extracting grafts from a small donor zone versus spread out

Usling large punches

Using unproven robots and devices

Making odd recipient zones and slits

Doing things quick and fast

Operating multiple surgeries a day by same surgeon or team

Can keep going....

Note each og these things single handedly can screw up your result, with any of them combined, then you pretty much got screwed over

What is the issue with this?

To be honest, I don't know what could cause this, but empirically, the best larger FUE results I have seen have been done over more than one session, say 1-1.5k graft/day. I've seen a lot of guys go and get 4k FUE done in one day with middling results.

Careless doctors will placed multi-haired grafts in the hairline. Always be on the lookout for those.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Too high of a hair line (luckily this is easily fixable), too low of a hair line, too straight of a hairline, multi graft units in a hairline, planting to dense in native areas, patients too young and/or not on meds, transplanting patients with unrealistic expectations, poor treatment of grafts, grafts too long it of body, etc. The list goes on forever. There is a reason there is only a fairly short list of elite physicians, because their game has to be on on so many levels.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.