Minoxidil application

Gram

I'm curious what the consensus is on minoxidil application. Should it be applied post shower? Does it work as well if it isn't? Ive read that there's anecdotal evidence that absorption of anything topical is optimal with moist skin, but what do you guys think, and what has your experience been?

Gram,

Rogaine's website recommends applying the product to a dry scalp if possible. If not, the scalp should be thoroughly towel-dried. This is based on participants in clinical trials having been directed to apply the drug to dry hair.

I've also read the theory that applying Rogaine (minoxidil) to damp hair somehow improves absorption. I can't say if that is true or not. However, I find the idea counter-intuitive.

Like a sponge or washcloth, our skin has the ability to absorb moisture. However, there is a limit to how much liquid any given material can absorb. If the scalp is already holding moisture in the form of water then I don't see how it could more easily absorb a topical medication than a dry scalp could.

At the very least, I believe that it's always best to follow the manufacturer's directions.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website