Adding density after FUT

Hey Guys,

It's been almost 5 years since I had my FUT surgery by Dr. Cam Simmons. I still think it was one of the best decisions of my life. I never stress about my hair anymore as compared to the pre op days when I looked in the mirror constantly worrying.

That said, if there's an opportunity to improve I want to know about it. I've come across talk about "Ultra Refined Grafting". Is that a recent enhancement? I'm wondering if it's possible to add density into my transplanted area. Here's my pics under really exposed lighting.

Hair Restoration Websites

I'd really love to hear if you guys think there's something out there that can noticeably thicken things up. If it'll just be a marginal improvement then I'd rather pass.

Thanks!

Yes it is often possible to increase the density of a previously transplanted area by carefully performing another procedure. Do you still have any existing/ original hair in the transplanted area? Or is all the current hair in the area from your first transplant?

It's possible but if a doc is working in the same area they created incisions before, the area may be impacted compromising blood flow to the scalp, this as a result of now preexisting scar tissue that couldve thickened the dermal layer. It can delay your growth or impact the yield of some of your 'for density' grafts. Other factors to consider is what if the newly transplanted gairs transect your previously transplanted hairs possibly causing temp or further permanent shock loss, thus adversely affecting your desired result? Also, what further impact would it have to your existing fut scar if you do fut again? Would it heal the same? Or will you consider FUE to fill in the areas of concern?

I'm also in consultations for a density bump. I assume, like Dr. Charles said, that it's possible if done carefully. Unfortunately, techs usually perform the implants and I'm not sure if they take the same care as the surgeon. Be sure to review examples of your prospective surgeon's repair work.

Sure it's possible to go into the same areas of transplanted hair to add further density. As long as the clinic is experienced take my case as an example I had a further session at the end of 2013 to add density into the frontal third this has grown in very well despite it being the fifth time work has been carried out in this area and that includes three sessions of mini and micro grafts which caused a significant amount of scar tissue, pitting and ridging.

Of course there are factors involved that need to be judged on a case by case basis. It is not so much the implanting that is the key here it is the incisions which you need to make sure are part of the surgeons role.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson