Anyone wear hair short after hair transplant?

I completely buzzed mine 5 days after surgery to make everything look uniform. I had hoped to try and salvage some of my hair on top and still attempt to style it, but it didn't look quite like I had hoped.... And I had been wanting a reason to sport a buzzcut for quiet some time anyway.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

It really depends on the patient current hair situation heading into the procedure, what they feel comfortable with and if they intend on trying to camouflage the post op transplant as much as possible. Some patients are lucky and work from home, can take time off work or can wear a hat for 7-10 days.

It depends,and how short you want to go. Few days after procedure, If there is substantial shock loss in recipient and in donor then it will be harder to conceal even if you slightly have it buzzed with lower grades. It shouldn't be permanent, but thats depends on a surgeons work, handling/skill with extraction and placement. So, this factor can be unprecedictable.

If all goes well, you should be able to buzz it. I had mine buzzed for first procedure with varying shockloss. Then when i went in for repair i thought i may get away with hair a little longer but it looked funny. When i buzzed it later on i had a lot more shockloss, which is still persistent when buzzedwith lower grades.

I completely buzzed mine 5 days after surgery to make everything look uniform. I had hoped to try and salvage some of my hair on top and still attempt to style it, but it didn't look quite like I had hoped.... And I had been wanting a reason to sport a buzzcut for quiet some time anyway.
that wasn't too bright. u shud wait at least 10 days to ensure the grafts have taken. in fact, its recommended that one shud not shave their head till 30 days out.

• 2 weeks later...
I assume he shaved his native hair, not the transplanted hair. Still, I probably would have shaved pre-op just to avoid an accident.

You are correct. However, the reason I didn't shave it all pre-op was in hopes of being able to style my hair around the recipient area. Then when I saw the horrible haircut post-op and how impossible it would be to style, I decided to go ahead and shave the rest of the native hair so that I could at least look in the mirror. :) I still used a pretty thick guard so that the actual clipper itself didn't even get close to the recipient area.

I will add that this was done with the approval of my surgeon who insisted that it was okay for me to do this at this time (after day 5).

that wasn't too bright. u shud wait at least 10 days to ensure the grafts have taken. in fact, its recommended that one shud not shave their head till 30 days out.

While many surgeons are much more conservative with this number, I think waiting 30 days to buzz your head is overkill. I guess for some people though the extra layer of comfort they get from being extra cautious is worth it to them, whether or not it's necessary. :cool:

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Can anyone wear their hair short after hair transplant? It seems a lot of people who have had hair transplants wear their hair long. A lot of what I see is a curtain hair or come over look.

I had four separate FUHT procedures and always kept the length of my hair at roughly 4 inches. The reason for this was to hide my sutures in the donor area and also to be able to cover my crusts in the recipient area.

I never had anyone notice that I had a procedure post-op because the length of my hair covered up everything very well. And I think many other guys who want to be able to disguise their procedures do the same thing.

Lastly, I never liked a buzzed hair style. I still wear my hair length at roughly 3 inches or so. It's not that I am against a short cut, it's just the last thing I want to do is to buzz it all off after having a grand total of 7000 grafts...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I had my TP done over a year ago now and I have not yet cut any of the transplanted hairs!

Not that that helps your question, I was just looking for an excuse to tell everyone.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.