Can scalp be too tight for hair transplant?

Yes, if it's tight, then it limits how many grafts can be removed by a strip. You may not be a good candidate but a surgeon can check this during a consultation.

The scalp on the sides of my head is not that tight just the top of my head.

Check the back, not top, top area is always tight and strip is not removed from the top

if sides are not so tight, so back part (where the strip be removed) should not be so tight.

Generally 2 cm over the back, max. 1.5 cm over the sides are upper limits of the strips for the first FUT operation.

Second FUT strip can only be removed from the back, sides can not be used again.

The back and sides are what matters not the top. The top of most peoples scalp is tight. We have a video on our website on how to perform scalp exercises. It is very difficult to judge yourself what your laxity is like but you can get a good idea when you try to manipulate the sides and back up and down.

Thanks 1966kph.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Second FUT strip can only be removed from the back, sides can not be used again.

Not really. I've had multiple strips from both sides and my last pass with Dr. Wong was ONLY strip from either side. In my case, if I were to have another strip, the sides are the only areas where more can be taken. The back is done.

Tightness on the top of the scalp is, as already mentioned, irrelevant when considering strip surgery. However, one thing to consider is that many patients talk about a tightness in the top of the scalp, sometimes accompanied by a burning and/or itching sensation, which seems to be a side effect of hair loss. It isn't universal but I've heard of this a fair bit. Just food for thought.

The back and sides are what matters not the top. The top of most peoples scalp is tight. We have a video on our website on how to perform scalp exercises. It is very difficult to judge yourself what your laxity is like but you can get a good idea when you try to manipulate the sides and back up and down.

Thanks 1966kph.

Garage,

Exercises strenghten muscles, do not provide extra skin or skin laxity. This scalp relaxation exercises is just an exaggerrated demands and wishes, therotical but do not work in practice. Surgeons konw and do not give much faint to this scalp exercises. But it looks good in advertorial videos of course :)

Not really. I've had multiple strips from both sides and my last pass with Dr. Wong was ONLY strip from either side. In my case, if I were to have another strip, the sides are the only areas where more can be taken. The back is done.

Tightness on the top of the scalp is, as already mentioned, irrelevant when considering strip surgery. However, one thing to consider is that many patients talk about a tightness in the top of the scalp, sometimes accompanied by a burning and/or itching sensation, which seems to be a side effect of hair loss. It isn't universal but I've heard of this a fair bit. Just food for thought.

+1 that. In all my 3 HTs , donor hair was taken from the sides as well as the back. I actually found the sides to be more lax than the back. This is also the reason strip scars in many patients tend to stretch our more on the sides post surgery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that the top seems to tighten sometimes with hair loss. But sure why. My top is loose as a goose, but I pretty loose skin everywhere.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Garage,

Exercises strenghten muscles, do not provide extra skin or skin laxity. This scalp relaxation exercises is just an exaggerrated demands and wishes, therotical but do not work in practice. Surgeons konw and do not give much faint to this scalp exercises. But it looks good in advertorial videos of course :)

If scalp exercises are done correctly they will improve laxity I have seen it countless times and in my own case, it is not a gimmick for our website that we tell patients they can't have surgery yet as their scalps are too tight. As an example I met with a patient that is looking to revise his wide donor scar that was caused by another surgeon.

I have now met with this patient 4 times to assess laxity over the last 6 months and this has been improved three/four times to what is was when we first met. He is now in a position to have the scar revised when we first met that was not the case. This has been possible by doing scalp exercises to improve the mobility of the skin and the tissue beneath. He may also have built extra muscles in his arms as a bonus :)

I have had 5 strip procedures so you can go into the sides more than once it but it depends on each individuals laxity, density and hair quality.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I have had patients that had tight scalps with very little elasticity who I recommended we try FUE and got good results. The best way to determine if your scalp is too tight for a strip/FUT procedure is to visit a hair restoration surgeon. Sometimes a patient will describe their scalp as being very tight and upon physical examination the scalp has good elasticity.