Recipient Site Scab Removal Technique

Hello Everyone,

I am Post Op day 9 and majority of the scabs in my donor site are gone. Now the scabs in the recipient cite are starting to flake and dry up. The scalp area is starting to become dry. I want to ask for those who have gone through this how you dealt with trying to remove the recipient site scabs. What techniques have you used. Anyways, thanks for your help!

I greatly appreciate it..

Christian

Mineral oil and soaking it in underwater in a warm tub/bath. They all seem to all go at once in about three days.

So can you please get a little bit more specific? Mineral oil. Apply it after, during or before soaking? As for the soaking. Any specific length of time?

You don't need mineral oil exclusively (or any oil or gel for that matter). I used to just stick my head under the shower stream for a few minutes and leave the shampoo on, rinse then repeat. Once I stepped out of the shower I'd take my town and lay it on top of my scalp then pull it forward. The scabs that are ready to come off will. The ones that are not ready will be ready during one of the next attempts.

Others have used mineral oil as well as olive oil, vitamin E oil and aloe vera gel. The idea is to apply this to the scalp and let it sit for several minutes to soak in and saturate the scab tissue. It helps to lift the scabs up and they eventually can separate from the recipient site. Once you leave it on for up to half an hour or so you can take your shower and rinse everything off.

That said, you should consult with your clinic and follow THEIR guidelines for when and how to remove the scabs. Some clinics feel you shouldn't touch the recipient site for a full month so it just goes to show you that different clinics have different approaches to patient care and how the recovery should be addressed.

Thanks joe!

You don't need mineral oil exclusively (or any oil or gel for that matter). I used to just stick my head under the shower stream for a few minutes and leave the shampoo on, rinse then repeat. Once I stepped out of the shower I'd take my town and lay it on top of my scalp then pull it forward. The scabs that are ready to come off will. The ones that are not ready will be ready during one of the next attempts.

Others have used mineral oil as well as olive oil, vitamin E oil and aloe vera gel. The idea is to apply this to the scalp and let it sit for several minutes to soak in and saturate the scab tissue. It helps to lift the scabs up and they eventually can separate from the recipient site. Once you leave it on for up to half an hour or so you can take your shower and rinse everything off.

That said, you should consult with your clinic and follow THEIR guidelines for when and how to remove the scabs. Some clinics feel you shouldn't touch the recipient site for a full month so it just goes to show you that different clinics have different approaches to patient care and how the recovery should be addressed.

So can you please get a little bit more specific? Mineral oil. Apply it after, during or before soaking? As for the soaking. Any specific length of time?
I applied mineral oil during the day. I had some channeling in the recipient area from drying out. I would soak in water for about 10 minutes. I was about ten to twelve days when my scabs fell. Sorry not to be specific in my other post.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html