Wanted to share my 6.5 month update ~3000 grafts. I'd like your thoughts and opinions

Hey guys, I came here several months back for some help (and admittedly on some other hair loss forums), and I appreciated all the help I got and tons of information available.

I received a little over 3000 grafts. I'd like your honest opinions, thoughts, and even criticisms. I'm a harsh critic myself, but thought I should share my progress thus far. I labelled all the pictures below and ensured I had the worst possible lighting in some pics, as to show details

Top 1 (4 images - Pre-op , Post-op , 6.5 heavy lighting, 6.5 average lighting)

top-1.jpg

Top 2 (4 images - Pre-op , Post-op , 6.5 heavy lighting, 6.5 average lighting)

top-2.jpg

Side (3 images - Pre-op , 6.5 heavy lighting, 6.5 average lighting)

side-1.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Firstly, you can see the big difference lighting can make when exposing hairloss. I'd say you have had decent growth. 6.5 months is still early days IMO. Your grafts didn't start growing until 3-4 months. So you've only had 2-3 months growth thus far. Those hairs that have pushed through still need to mature and thicken and will continue to do so up until 12-18 months. And it's likely you have grafts that haven't even pushed through yet. Your right side looks weaker than the left which happens often with HTs. Eventually they even out. Somewhere on here Is a very helpful growth timeline that you should check out. It may put your mind at ease if you are feeling anxious.

Do you have plans to address your crown?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Folks, lets be honest. Lighting or not that is minimal growth thus far. You are exposed to a variety of lighting outdoors so it obviously looks harsh more than half the time to other folks in person too. In fact, the photos posted by this patient are not dslr hd quality, so keep in mind the photos do have pixelation which means they add artificial hair density to his scalp as is to make the update look better than it may be. It is critical to be honest with folks that want honest feedback. It can prevent a patient's confusion of their actual situation later on, only to be commented negatively in public/social situations with remarks that go against the goals of the restoration.

Ridge, there is minimal change at the current mark, but if you do not see a substantial change by months 9-12, then I would voice my concerns and see how the surgeon handles your case.

I hope you have a distinct change by 9 month mark and wish you the best. Don't get me wrong, It is possible you may have a good outcome by month 9, but i wouldn't label it as satisfactory just yet. I believe the whole point to getting a restoration is to not look bald or excessively thinned, otherwise why would majority of patients go for such a procedure, the trauma, the financial expense. Did you go there for minimal growth or a distinct restoration change? Did the surgeon say it would cover and restore the areas worked on? Coverage equates to a successful look towards your goal, not a half ass job when the year mark is reached. FTC Review

Folks, lets be honest. Lighting or not that is minimal growth thus far. You are exposed to a variety of lighting outdoors so it obviously looks harsh more than half the time to other folks in person too. In fact, the photos posted by this patient are not dslr hd quality, so keep in mind the photos do have pixelation which means they add artificial hair density to his scalp as is to make the update look better than it may be. It is critical to be honest with folks that want honest feedback. It can prevent a patient's confusion of their actual situation later on, only to be commented negatively in public/social situations with remarks that go against the goals of the restoration.

Ridge, there is minimal change at the current mark, but if you do not see a substantial change by months 9-12, then I would voice my concerns and see how the surgeon handles your case.

I hope you have a distinct change by 9 month mark and wish you the best. Don't get me wrong, It is possible you may have a good outcome by month 9, but i wouldn't label it as satisfactory just yet. I believe the whole point to getting a restoration is to not look bald or excessively thinned, otherwise why would majority of patients go for such a procedure, the trauma, the financial expense. Did you go there for minimal growth or a distinct restoration change? Did the surgeon say it would cover and restore the areas worked on? Coverage equates to a successful look towards your goal, not a half ass job when the year mark is reached. FTC Review

Hey Sean, would you suggest I contact my surgeon today and get his thoughts, or wait until exactly month 9? I have a feeling he'll tell me to wait it out but I can contact him regardless if you think I should.

Now worst case scenario (I like thinking worst case and going backwards), let's say it looks terrible (botchy/balding/etc) by that time, is there a way to fix it or is basically having to shave and hide the scar (surgery was FUT).

Also, what percentage of people at my point right now (who've had minimal growth like I have) have shown significant growth by month 9? Is it 50/50 or is the chance much less?

damn have you spoke to your DR.. who did that.. man this is why i don't want a HT.. i am just in a fear of pain and lost $

I haven't. Honestly, in my naivety, I didn't think it was that bad at this stage but I'm glad I asked. I think before going crazy I'll wait until month 9 and compare, by that point it'll either be the best decision I've made in my life or the worst.

Hey Sean, would you suggest I contact my surgeon today and get his thoughts, or wait until exactly month 9? I have a feeling he'll tell me to wait it out but I can contact him regardless if you think I should.

Now worst case scenario (I like thinking worst case and going backwards), let's say it looks terrible (botchy/balding/etc) by that time, is there a way to fix it or is basically having to shave and hide the scar (surgery was FUT).

Also, what percentage of people at my point right now (who've had minimal growth like I have) have shown significant growth by month 9? Is it 50/50 or is the chance much less?

I haven't. Honestly, in my naivety, I didn't think it was that bad at this stage but I'm glad I asked. I think before going crazy I'll wait until month 9 and compare, by that point it'll either be the best decision I've made in my life or the worst.

Ridge, start documenting and saving your previous emails and conversations. Let the doc know your concerns in writing and phone, make sure you cc yourself in emails too. If things do not improve or change drastically by month 9, then express your discontent and request a remedy from the doctor. He will most likely try to have you wait it out with the 18 month bullshit or may try to tell you that for 3000 grafts youd expect such results or that your physiology was a reason. He will say this even though at time of booking, everything was marketed differently and with much more surity that you will be ok and you wouldnt have to worry. This is based on probability vs assumptions from feedback of other repair patients ive spoken with, and trust me there are plenty.

If it looks blotchy by the timeframe mark, there is a way to remedy the situation but just plan carefully. Ask yourself how you would want to proceed? Outline pros and cons of fut and fue to your specific case. As far as percentage of people who have had drastic growth by month 9 in similar case as yours are 50% or less. This opinion is based on my observations across multiple forums and thousands of cases i looked through (some in person).

If you do not have the marketed and explained result you were informed about which motivated you to cough up thousands of dollars for a result that might be half ass or piss poor, then it clearly validates a FTC investigation based on marketing fraud and deception. This is irregardless if there was consent.

Again, i am just informing you of worst case scenario. Although i hope your 9 month is better.

Its better toknow beforehand versus at last minute. Good luck.

Ridge, start documenting and saving your previous emails and conversations. Let the doc know your concerns in writing and phone, make sure you cc yourself in emails too. If things do not improve or change drastically by month 9, then express your discontent and request a remedy from the doctor. He will most likely try to have you wait it out with the 18 month bullshit or may try to tell you that for 3000 grafts youd expect such results or that your physiology was a reason. He will say this even though at time of booking, everything was marketed differently and with much more surity that you will be ok and you wouldnt have to worry. This is based on probability vs assumptions from feedback of other repair patients ive spoken with, and trust me there are plenty.

Alright thanks Sean, I think what I'll do is send him an email (including the pictures) and some of my concerns, I'm almost certain he'll tell me to wait it out (which seems fair as month 9 seems to be the magic number in terms of whether these things worked or not).

This was the doctor I went to, he was very honest with me even when I insisted on, for example, lowering the hairline more (he recommended against it since I had fine/thinner hair). He'd done family members of mine (for much less grafts) that turned out well, so that's why I went with him. I'd also read posts from potential patients he turned away since he recommended against a HT for them, so I felt I did my homework.

I guess it's just a waiting game for now, hopefully it turns out well and I'll keep you all updated!

Hmm, considering you grew your hair out for the 6,5 months pictures, it really is not too much growth, but I agree that you may be a slow grower, so I`d just wait another 3 months until judging. For now sit back and relax :) Obviously you can contact your clinic by now, but I bet they`d just tell you to wait ;)

Thanks for sharing and all the best!

Yeah it's definitely a bit light for 6.5 months but, as you yourself and others have said, your surgeon will just tell you to wait it out. I've been where you are so I totally get the impatience and disappointment you're feeling but do try to wait until 9 months; you could be probably be pleasantly surprised.

Oh and BTW, 6.5 months is NOT "still early days". The holy grail for clinics and their reps is the odd patient who demonstrates really strong growth by month 4. They'll rush out pics on forums like this with the implication that prospective patients could be as lucky as the guy in the pics and achieve a cosmetically significant result in 4 months provided they come to that particular clinic for the procedure and, of course, it's all bollocks!

The goal is to suggest that quick results are possible BEFORE you've handed over your money and then managing (ie LOWERING) your expectations AFTER you've gone under the knife.

Edited by Cryingoutloud