1 day post FUT

Hi all,

I had a 3000 graft FUT procedure yesterday. I went in today for a next day check up and was told everything looks good. I am very excited about the future outcome, but am still on edge having been told by the clinic and elsewhere that the first 72 hours are critical (grafts need to be closely protected etc).

I have been very careful not to touch the recipient area and slept at a 45 deg angle last night. I am about 27 hours post-op right now and am starting to experience some forehead swelling, as was to be expected. No worries on that front for me.

I am about to wash my head for the first time by myself, so I am certainly nervous about doing that. I wish I didn't have to wash my hair lol. I just don't want to mess anything up. However, it must be done apparently...

My question, right now, is this; can hair grafts be dislodged or damaged by any other means than contact (i.e. itching, rubbing) ? For example, I have laughed a few times and made a few other facial expressions post-op and felt a twinge in different spots on my scalp area, possibly in the recipient area. Could making a certain facial expression, or laughing, cause damage to brand new grafts?

Thanks!

Washing your hair is easy when you just pour the water and shampoo on. Ya don't scratch or itch the new grafts. I never heard of dislodging a graft by moving your head wrong. Probably just feeling yours nerves a bit.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

I just had my procedure done 11 days ago. I spoke with my dr in depth about this. He says that the first 3 days is the mist critical. After that they are set and ready to grow. With that being said washing your hair should be a breeze. Just take a sponge. Lather it up. Have the suds drop on the recipient area. Let it sit for a few and then rinse with water from a bowl. Never direct from the shower head.

gL

Just affirming what all the guys here have already said. I remember being extremely nervous and cautious about washing my hair as well, but once you do it you realize it's not that bad. Lather the sponge, dab the suds onto the scalp, let it soak, and rinse with water from a cup/bowl.

As for damaging the grafts by smiling/laughing, I think you can sleep easy knowing that won't happen.

And just to share with you just how scared and paranoid I was about damaging the grafts after surgery: I'm quite the violent sleeper and tend to move around a lot in my sleep. Been this way since I was a kid. Through the years I've woken up quite a few times with a scratch on my face from hitting myself in my sleep. Anyway, I was so afraid that I would hit my grafts in my sleep that I wore a pair of winter gloves and fastened them together. If one hand moved, the other was right behind it - which of course would wake me up before they reached my face and save my scalp and grafts from potential destruction. I was so glad when those first 72 hours were over.

On that note, I'm gonna head to bed now to get some very restless sleep. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

pkipling, I'm with you man. I'm planning my procedure now and I'm super paranoid that something will graze or hit my grafts within the first 10 days. I went so far as to research arm restraints to prevent itching my scalp, but that winter gloves idea is pretty good, haha.

Is it just the first 3 days that we really need to be concerned with? I keep reading about 10 days being the window before the grafts are set.

Also, during that initial period, did you ever accidentally touch/scratch/bump your scalp with your hand or your hat or anything? I'm wondering how strong of a touch would have to occur to cause grafts to be damaged. Does it have to be a strong strike to the head or can it be as gentle as bumping your head into the ceiling of your cushioned car roof? I'm guessing it's somewhere in between.

Just affirming what all the guys here have already said. I remember being extremely nervous and cautious about washing my hair as well, but once you do it you realize it's not that bad. Lather the sponge, dab the suds onto the scalp, let it soak, and rinse with water from a cup/bowl.

As for damaging the grafts by smiling/laughing, I think you can sleep easy knowing that won't happen.

And just to share with you just how scared and paranoid I was about damaging the grafts after surgery: I'm quite the violent sleeper and tend to move around a lot in my sleep. Been this way since I was a kid. Through the years I've woken up quite a few times with a scratch on my face from hitting myself in my sleep. Anyway, I was so afraid that I would hit my grafts in my sleep that I wore a pair of winter gloves and fastened them together. If one hand moved, the other was right behind it - which of course would wake me up before they reached my face and save my scalp and grafts from potential destruction. I was so glad when those first 72 hours were over.

On that note, I'm gonna head to bed now to get some very restless sleep. :)

pkipling, I'm with you man. I'm planning my procedure now and I'm super paranoid that something will graze or hit my grafts within the first 10 days. I went so far as to research arm restraints to prevent itching my scalp, but that winter gloves idea is pretty good, haha.

Is it just the first 3 days that we really need to be concerned with? I keep reading about 10 days being the window before the grafts are set.

Also, during that initial period, did you ever accidentally touch/scratch/bump your scalp with your hand or your hat or anything? I'm wondering how strong of a touch would have to occur to cause grafts to be damaged. Does it have to be a strong strike to the head or can it be as gentle as bumping your head into the ceiling of your cushioned car roof? I'm guessing it's somewhere in between.

I understand the paranoia for sure, but yes, the first 72 hours are the most crucial. After day 5, the grafts should be completely secure and you're safe to start washing your hair just like before. Many people are much more conservative with this number and will tell you to wait until day 10 (or even 14 in some cases). There's absolutely no harm in being extra cautious and waiting 10-14 days if that eases your mind, but I do believe that the first 3-5 days should be your main concern. Get through that first 72 hour hurdle, then you can breathe a little easier while still being extra careful the remaining days.

I was very careful with the hat that I wore right after surgery, making sure that it never had the opportunity to touch/damage the grafts. I'm not sure of the impact necessary to damage them, but I would think as long as you're being extremely cautious, you won't do anything to screw it up. And don't drive yourself crazy stressing about it either. The stress alone won't do you any good. Odds are in your favor that you'll be just fine if you're careful and smart about it all. You can drive yourself crazy with the "what ifs".

And yes. Sleeping was the most stressful time for me just because of the kind of sleeper I am. The gloves worked like a charm.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Thanks Brenton! Just to get an idea, for the first 72 hours did you sequester yourself indoors and take it easy/careful or did you basically do your normal routine but with a hat on?

Also, how careful do you have to be? I've heard that on the day of the surgery one has to wear just a button shirt to avoid having to lift a shirt over one's head. Did you have to do that post surgery as well? And are you literally walking around in a "bubble" making sure no one or thing can graze your head for 3 days?

I know these questions are pretty nitpicky, but these are all the things I need to have a grasp on before hand to carefully plan this out.

When I was post op, my surgeon said it was okay to take one of those Indian Tuk tuk taxis to the clinic for the second day washing. And they can be quite bump.

I imagine that outside of bumping/harsh contact with the grafts, you'd have to go crazy with some metal headbanging/jumping or running or something to manage to dislodge them without contact.

Thanks Brenton! Just to get an idea, for the first 72 hours did you sequester yourself indoors and take it easy/careful or did you basically do your normal routine but with a hat on?

Also, how careful do you have to be? I've heard that on the day of the surgery one has to wear just a button shirt to avoid having to lift a shirt over one's head. Did you have to do that post surgery as well? And are you literally walking around in a "bubble" making sure no one or thing can graze your head for 3 days?

I know these questions are pretty nitpicky, but these are all the things I need to have a grasp on before hand to carefully plan this out.

I laid pretty low for the first couple days or so, basically because it was nice to have an excuse to be lazy for once. I had my surgery on a Thursday and then just took it easy through the weekend. I even meet up with a couple friends on that Sunday after my surgery for brunch and just wore a hat to cover it up - and of course being very careful and putting the hat on very strategically so that I wouldn't even risk damaging anything. But my routine didn't change that much. I still had to cook, walk my dog, etc. the days immediately following surgery and there was never an issue of thinking I had messed anything up.

The way I looked at is this: Be careful and follow instructions from your doctor and take precautions not to even risk accidentally hitting the grafts, but don't make yourself crazy. You don't have to lock yourself away in a padded room or refuse to leave the house - you have to go to the doctor the day after anyway for your followup. I took an Uber there the day after mine and then drove myself home, if that eases your mind at all.

The button up shirt, is a good example of just being smart and minimizing your risks - or if you want to wear a t-shirt, just make sure that it's stretchy/flexible enough to be able to put on without hitting your head in the process.

Honestly, as long as you're careful you should be just fine. And don't stress. Your body will be dealing with enough as it is, so try to just relax and take it easy for a couple days and don't over think it. :cool: