Just pimples or infection?? How to spot difference?

Seems like post op pimples are more than common.

However when are pimples not mere pimples but a sign of infection?

I read if the area around the pimple is red it's not a good sign. However that doesn't really help since the entire recipient is usually covered in post op redness for a few weeks or months even. Tenderness has been listed as well. But I think pimples are always tender or hurt a bit when you push them.

Are there any other obvious warning signs someone has to look out for?

Size, shape, colour, swelling?

Probably the main sign to look for is that there is a combination of the various signs and symptoms that you mentioned.

It's when there is an aggregate of bumps that have tenderness with inflammation and redness with white tips that can also ooze liquid.

When there are post-op pimples, they are hit and miss, not lots of them and confined to patchy areas where there is corresponding inflammation, etc.

Make any sense? Of course if you are suspect of folliculitis, "contact your surgeon as soon as possible".

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have/had lots of random ingrown hairs from a month on. Ya they are sore and itch with a white head at times. They go away in about three days. I almost expected them. I seem to have them in my beard area also at times when I shave close. I hate calling them pimples because they are not acne. I never had a issue with acne even when I was young. If you look at others progressive pictures you will see how common they are. I think people get overly worried about folliculitis infections here. Everyone wants to be safe than sorry I guess. We have a lot invested.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

What Gillenator said is correct but there are other factors to consider such as timing. If you wake up the day after surgery and you have tiny whiteheads then it is a very very mild infection but one that can indeed get worse. If the recipient area just looks outright angry at any time in the first week then it is time to talk to your doctor but if you had one or two days of follow up visits with hair washes then they would have caught it and put you on topical or oral anti-biotics. If you're talking a few weeks or months post-op then one to four or five pimples at one time is OK as it indicates new growth and some hairs are getting trapped. Redness is normal but angry, obvious redness that stands out from the surrounding areas that are already red is a bad sign.

Infection is something not discussed much on the forums nor in consultations. If you have not had surgery yet be sure to question your doctor about this issue, what experience do they have with infection and what they've done to deal with it.

I remember more than a decade ago almost all surgeons/clinics would require their patients to start a pre-op anti-biotic before their procedure, and continue on approximately three days post-op.

Then it seemed that it was no longer viewed as necessary. Some docs may feel that because the scalp is so enriched with blood flow, along with better sterilization, less invasive methods, etc., that using a pre-op anti-biotic was no longer necessary. In addition, some feel that if it does occur, most cases can be successfully treated post-op and rarely will impact the end result.

Even though infections are rare, it's a debatable subject. IMHO, the patient should at least be counseled and offered the option of using a pre-op anti-biotic.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY