Dr. Diep

I am just curious why he is not mentioned here as a top HT doc and even top FUE. His yield and especially hairlines seem as good as any of the top 3-5 I've seen mentioned here. Dr. Lorenzo is often referred to as the 'God of FUE' and though his results seem impressive, almost all of them are shown with long hair slicked back not to mention hairlines that (to my eye) seem strange (pronounced Vs, Soprano hairlines, etc). On the other hand, Dr. Diep results are usually shown with shorter hair, often buzzed, which is much harder to hide the work/results with and his hairlines are, again to my eye, spectacular, as in Dr. Rahal and Dr. Feriduni worthy. He has scores of pictures and videos. I do not work for Dr. Diep and am not being a shill, I am truly curious what if anything I am missing since his work looks stellar to me.

I'm with you, ready4Hair. I don't think that Dr. Diep gets his due when the best FUE work is discussed, considering that he has probably posted (on a popular video site) a greater number of cosmetically impressive matured FUE results with befores-afters than most anyone. I put him in my personal top 3-5 in a recent thread (and I happen also to agree with you about Dr. Lorenzo's hairlines, btw). As I recall, Dr. Diep does all the FUE extractions himself, manually, using a punch of his own design, and I believe he only operates on one patient per day. In his videos, he says he pays particular attention to design and placement of the hairline to aesthetically frame the face and compliment the shape of the patient's head, their features, and ethnicity, which I think is borne out by his results. I also think his hairline work has a good naturalness to it by virtue of him building in a healthy amount of micro irregularity. He responsibly maxes out at around 2,500 extractions per FUE transplant, doesn't perform consecutive day extractions, and seems to make cosmetically efficient use of the grafts and obtain consistently good yield. My one quibble would be with his preference for using needles to make graft recipient incisions (my vote is still for tiny custom cut blades), but his rationale is that needles for this task cause less trauma, and he does produce lovely results using them.

A few things might account for why Dr. Diep isn't mentioned in the same breath as other top FUE docs here: He and his patients don't post here that often; when he was up for recommendation he posted only a small sampling of his FUE work (yet, as you noted, he has scores of results posted on the video site I referred to); his Vietnamese accent, personality, and cluttered personal office as seen on his videos can make him seem a bit, I don't know, quirky, although I personally find his manner sweet and refreshing compared to the slick environs and marketing of some other docs.

But, yeah, I think he deserves to be mentioned among the best FUE docs.

I agree it might be (in part) his videos. He is very low tech in his vids (pans from user to the screen of their before pics, talking to either himself of his cameraperson, trying to focus, etc.) and uses superlatives a lot which in some people's minds especially combined with the accent might turn them off. Not me. I see an endless stream of fantastic hairlines, great yields, and demonstration of dense results with brushes to show it on generally short hair. Not sure what there is to knock. It seems to me in general in this board you are 'part of the club' or not. For instance someone just posted a horrendous Dr. Rahal result and by and large the replies excused the work. One person's reply to the fact that even after 5400 grafts poeple suggest he get a HT was that that was a GOOD sign. Dr. Rahal like anyone else has less than stellar results but my point is it seems like the big three can post poor results or hairlines and the board will still gush and less known Drs. can post fabulous ones and people will write it off. At this point I'd put Dr. Diep on par with Dr. Feriduni and ahead of Dr. Lorenzo for yield (from what I can see), ahead of Dr. Rahal for hairlines, and (from his vids and reviews) on par with Dr. Feriduni with his care for patients goals/hairlines.

It's unclear what you're asking, why is Diep not as well known as Lorenzo? It is a matter of subjective opinion, why isn't Maras or Demirsoy or Reddy as well known? In any case, I personally like Lorenzo's conservative hairline approach with the pronounced v-shape, doesn't mean others have to. I don't think Lorenzo's in a "club" or anything given that he's no longer a member of this forum and was only a member for a year. In past years HW seemed to be the most popular clinic, with Feriduni the most popular FUE shop, now people are into Erdogan...

It's unclear what you're asking, why is Diep not as well known as Lorenzo? It is a matter of subjective opinion, why isn't Maras or Demirsoy or Reddy as well known? In any case, I personally like Lorenzo's conservative hairline approach with the pronounced v-shape, doesn't mean others have to. I don't think Lorenzo's in a "club" or anything given that he's no longer a member of this forum and was only a member for a year. In past years HW seemed to be the most popular clinic, with Feriduni the most popular FUE shop, now people are into Erdogan...

What isn't clear about it? His yields and hairlines are on par with the top Drs. and I am asking if there is some reason he is not. Subjective opinion wouldn't cover it, since, as far as I understand, this forum is to ubcover HT docs who are honest, reputable and deliver consistent good yield and cosmetically pleasing results. Since his name is known here, I was trying to find out why this would be, I am not implying some conspiracy.

There are other doctors people prefer, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. We can have this same discussion for Maras or Mwamba. If you like his work go for it. Otherwise it sounds like "how come others don't like my guy?"

Ok thanks, I'll just wait for someone who understands what I am actually asking.

There are other doctors people prefer, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. We can have this same discussion for Maras or Mwamba. If you like his work go for it. Otherwise it sounds like "how come others don't like my guy?"

Ok thanks, I'll just wait for someone who understands what I am actually asking.

Looking at Dr Diep's work and video results the are quite impressive.

I think "Ready's" question was pretty transparent. Why doesn't Dr. Diep get more credit which based on his FUE RESULTS he deserves. I think pup pointed pointed out some stellar points about some of the reasons we aren't seeing more attention and notoriety given to Diep's work.

He certainly should be mentioned with the top tier FUE surgeons. There could be an even stronger case for him being a top FUE doc in the US. As most of the top FUE clinics are in Europe at the moment Diep could prove to be an excellent option for US patients unable to travel great lengths.

One downside for me is I find the pricing structure a bit odd and quite expensive compared to the other top clinics.

Let's hope we can get some more patient and clinic postings as Dr Diep FUE work continues to impress.........

• 8 years later...

Wow, blast from the past. He was one of those Doctors that you are so tempted to try and hope you are one of the hits not the misses. Super hairlines and density when it worked, not so much when it didn't, and more than enough bad experiences/aftercare to make me stay away.

Honestly even the 'bad' recent Eugenix didn't sway me that much from them. I do think there was some poor planning and a little less aggressiveness would have allowed for a perfect result but the hairline, temples, etc were really good and he seemed to have a good experience etc.

Dr. Diepjust seemed very... rogue. Whatever happened to him? Banned from here as well?

Honestly, I started looking into HT with Dr. Rahal and FUT, had a HT planned but the whole FUT thing just rubbed me the wrong way (pun intended) and he wasn't doing FUE yet. But i liked his work a lot.

Edited by ready4Hair
  • Like 1