Can hair transplants be addictive?

As it is a form of cosmetic surgery I think the answer is a definite yes.

I see hair greed quite often looking round the forum were people have a very good head of hair then go and get what I deem to be unnecessary work done.

If you look at the entertainment industry ,Michael Jackson. Barry Manilow',Joan river's, sly Stallone ect ect they look or looked ridiculous especially when insisting they've had nothing done.

I think most people would agree that vanity is a addiction that needs feeding just like any other addiction.

Have a good day

Yep, it can be a slippery slide, especially when u consider that no surgery is perfect, either because it fell slightly short of its aims or because its success only highlights other defects that could need doing. (Not to mention repairs and the repair industry)

Yes, it can be. I've known patients that have had hairlines with a density that any young man would be overjoyed to have but they keep looking for that little bump to get the density to their satisfaction. They always find a few spots that "just need a little more". Of course, this is coming from someone that has had 7 strips and 10,000 plus grafts;)

I believe one is usually somewhat addictive in nature when obsessing over hair in the first place it goes hand in hand. That said...give me all of the hair!!!!!!

Ha!

MIKE

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

I believe one is usually somewhat addictive in nature when obsessing over hair in the first place it goes hand in hand. That said...give me all of the hair!!!!!!

Ha!

MIKE

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

• Moderators

What do you consider to be addicting? I've had 26 hair transplant surgeries so far, but I don't consider myself to be addicted to them at all because I'd love to finally get it finished and not have to do any more, but it's not up to me. I would love to have one or 2 large sessions of 3000 grafts each and be done with it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

lol yea that was a pretty good answer and id hav to agree with most of that. but unlike facial plastic surgeons I don't see anyone getting a plastic type look with too many grafts.

but we hav all seen the guy that has essentially a full head of hair getting work done to the front to lower the hairline slightly. is that over doing it? IDN maybe maybe not if u have the available donor hair and money to burn.

As it is a form of cosmetic surgery I think the answer is a definite yes.

I see hair greed quite often looking round the forum were people have a very good head of hair then go and get what I deem to be unnecessary work done.

If you look at the entertainment industry ,Michael Jackson. Barry Manilow',Joan river's, sly Stallone ect ect they look or looked ridiculous especially when insisting they've had nothing done.

I think most people would agree that vanity is a addiction that needs feeding just like any other addiction.

Have a good day

What do you consider to be addicting? I've had 26 hair transplant surgeries so far, but I don't consider myself to be addicted to them at all because I'd love to finally get it finished and not have to do any more, but it's not up to me. I would love to have one or 2 large sessions of 3000 grafts each and be done with it.
26 HT's and u need another 6000 grafts? wat do u hav 50,000 donor hairs?

Ha!

MIKE

Muso,

I'd love to hear your perspective about being- or wannabeing - a muso.

l dunno if that is ur pic there, but I have to ask.,how do u think a young white guy can renconcile the self-image of rock and roll with balding. The Beatles and Elvis had lots of hair, nothing has changed. Bruce Willis ca

n be mach, but never sexy-rock-n-roll cool,.

I think the obsession wirh more hts to keep us rock n roll plausible is a dehabiltating curse- but it is what it is.

IF after one transplant patients gained back fully their entire head of hair with an adequate hairline that they had before they started losing their hair and progression of baldness stopped completely then hair transplants would not be addictive as the objective would be complete.

Hair transplants do not give this in almost every case, baldness is progressive and hence people go back for more. Simple as that :)

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hey scar!

Yes that is a picture of me from November 2014, hair has grown out quite significantly since. There is a huge taboo regarding hair loss amongst musicians, I have many friends within the music scene suffering from different types of loss although they have no idea of my direct involvement in this industry I try to advise some styling options or medications available.

I work as a songwriter and session guitarist also so I have cracked into the market, my former band actually did pretty well travelling the world also.

Unfortunately music is also an image, I'd say that I am not to hung up on image and more so just flat out would rather keep my hair muso or not.

Some bald or thin musicians:

Billy Corgan

Phil Collins

Michael Stipe

Gary Jules

Diesel

Jeff from Simple Plan

Moby

Sting is very thin

Etc

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

There is a huge taboo regarding hair loss amongst musicians,

I have many friends within the music scene...they have no idea of my direct involvement in this industry

Unfortunately music is also an image,

So you have reconciled it..at least to a degree. The fact that you had an HT is very unrock-n-roll, but the fact you have hair is essential. The fact that you work in the vanity industry is unrock-n-roll but the fact that you work as a muso...is.

I imagine you are pretty thick skinned.

Those musos you list - almost all of them had hair as they were breaking through or even after they got big.

I think many people even change their preference of music and their identification to the whole canon of popular culture based on their hair loss. Buzzing or shaving and a guitar do not go together. Once you decide you aint hip-hop, or drum 'n bass - both genres for which a buzzed head is acceptable you might go for incognito nobody who likes pop, which is fine as long as you don't want anybody to notice you. But if you wanna be Jack White, and especially now, seeming rock music is almost dead, you have to look cool. I adored 60s beat-mod culture when I was younger and I never saw a single icon of that era with hairloss. Hair transplants feed on the desperate hope we all have, that a better road might still lay ahead - you just can't sell yourself the brochure of living your dreams in rock-n-roll with a bald head. Just another reason that addiction to transplants is vicious and real.

As Noel Gallagher of Oasis once said, "a skin-head just 'aint F'&&'n rock 'n roll"

Unfortunately, i haven't found a musical genre that suits a buzzed head with giant hair transplant scars or a lame grown out look with a balding crown that the babes dig.

Edited by scar5

As a musician, and as one who grew up in the 60's, I can unequivocally state that hair is still totally important to me - especially since I am still performing onstage. I am going to go down fighting and not surrender to the backwards baseball cap or beret look to hide a balding pate. Every time I see a guitarist with a hat on , I know HE'S BALD!! Phooey on that. HT not Rock and Roll? It's like putting a big sock in your crotch - come and prove me wrong!:cool:

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

As a musician,...... I am going to go down fighting and not surrender :

David Crosby ..prematurely balding, in 1969, sings, "Almost Cut My Hair" with almost religious and 'heavy man' hippy zeal.

Davud Crosby .....2015.. .at 70 something, looking like Benjamin Franklin's grandfather, still sings it...and pretty well too.

That is something that means stoic defiance to his fans and a generation, and at his age, younget people probably give him cudos. But there are millions of Crosby-wannabes, talented, that stay in the garage because their freak flag isn't working properly.

Respect Voxman, foe not giving up. I guess yoi play through a vox amp, which makes u particularly 1960s and unbald.Cyril Jordan's wig isn't good, I suspect he knows it too.

Hey Scar,

You are spot on, I have thick skin....and hair now haha.

I am quite well known as a session player down in Oz so some people have been advised to my procedure. I was not in a bad way prior so they shrugged it off, I am 31 years old however look about 18 so that helps, HL does not.

Voxman! Play a vox? I am a two rock guy.

Music and hair go hand in hand, sad but true. It will likely not change for some time.

Rock music will never die!!!!

EDM is definitely taking over.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo