My Story - Overcoming the Negative Stigma

Hey guys. I joined this board about 6 months ago as a patient advocate for Dr. Mohebi. At the time, I had only told a handful of people in my life about my hair transplant. And for those I didn't want to tell, I had concocted quite the impressive story to explain the post surgery buzzcut I opted for and my need to wear a hat all the time for the first month or so after surgery. (Seriously – the story really was very impressive. :) ) And while I was 100% comfortable and confident in my decision to have my hairline restored, I still couldn’t bring myself to be open about it with just anyone. I felt what I believe a lot of men feel when dealing not only with hair loss, but with the decision to try and fix it should they ever want to – I was embarrassed. So when Dr. Mohebi asked me to be his patient advocate on these forums, I agreed, but only if I could do it somewhat anonymously. I was so paranoid that somehow, somewhere, someone I knew would run across my picture and discover my “dirty little secret.” So I came up with a fake name (borrowed in part from one of my favorite writers, Rudyard Kipling) and made sure to not post pictures of my entire face. Well, I’m over it.

Over the past 6 months, a lot has changed. Obviously, my hairline has improved tremendously and I’ve never been as confident about my hair as I am now. I’ve gotten acquainted with the users here on this site and have felt a genuine sense of community with guys who know exactly what I’ve gone/am going through. And through this, I started opening up to more and more people in my every day life about my hair transplant. I’ve become incredibly fascinated with the entire industry and the science and technology behind hair restoration and find myself wanting to tell every balding man I see about it. I’ve started talking to strangers about my own personal story when it comes up and have become not only an advocate for hair restoration on these forums, but in my life in general. Then after viewing all the submissions last week for Dr. Mohebi’s “Free Hair Transplant” contest, I found myself very touched and moved by these men and their bravery and fearlessness in telling their stories. So now I want to tell mine…. (I’ll be brief.)

In a nutshell: My name is Brenton Jones and I’m a 30 year old actor in Los Angeles. I’ve been acting for about 5 years, primarily in commercials and plays and some films. I was actually cast in a supporting role for a film just a month or so after my surgery with my bald head on full display and before my new hairs had even started coming in yet…. Impeccable timing there. I’ll find out when the movie’s released if my fresh FUE scars also made an appearance in the film. :) The entertainment industry is challenging enough to break in to as it is without a receding hairline getting in your way, so when I first learned about hair transplants, it was a no brainer for me. It’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, if nothing else than to be able to get ready for an audition without having to worry about strategically placing my hair in just the right spots so as to cover my (formerly) receding hairline.

So that about sums it up. I’m tired of being embarrassed and ashamed and afraid of anyone finding out that I (gasp!) paid for my hairline. One of the main reasons Dr. Mohebi wanted to run his contest was to get people to tell their stories and to help remove the negative stigma associated with hair restoration. So there’s my story. Feel free to share yours as well.

And here’s a before/after photo from a couple of years ago, with the after taken right around the 5 month mark... Face included.

Brenton Jones, formerly Patrick Kipling :cool:

image1.jpg.6949d4239959150cb5ae81bbcf2c73cd.jpg

Edited by pkipling
changed photo

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hey Spanker. I just changed the photo in the original post to a before and after from two years ago to now. You'll see that it was very thin in the front (and had only gotten worse and receded further since then).

Here are some better pics from right before surgery, with the afters being right at the 4 1/2 month mark.

image2.jpg.097c5ce5c73e7a2861c32b38d32cc62c.jpg

image3.jpg.4a4b3d5d06b8d49636c94b1f4afca4a3.jpg

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

When people used to comment about my hairloss I used to blame the wife. I would say I said she could pluck a hair every time I satisfied her and I'm a norwood 6.

If the above was true I would have a full head of hair

Have a good day.

When people used to comment about my hairloss I used to blame the wife. I would say I said she could pluck a hair every time I satisfied her and I'm a norwood 6.

Have a good day.

We always knew who you were...:cool:

Ha! Too bad it couldn't have been an even more dramatic revealing like being an actual celebrity.... Nah, just one of many LA actors pounding the pavement to make it work in this industry. Though I am quite stubborn, persistent, and work my ass off, so I've at least got that going for me. And my hairline. I can't forget the hairline..... :cool:

Have a good day.

Haha. That made me laugh out loud.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all I can say you all are looking good but at the same time doing your homework to edge your bets in picking a top HT Clinics & also sticking with your Meds you all turned a page in a positive ways to yourself & many other guys.

Well all I can say you all are looking good but at the same time doing your homework to edge your bets in picking a top HT Clinics & also sticking with your Meds you all turned a page in a positive ways to yourself & many other guys.

Thanks for the support. And while there are many HT surgeons/clinics out there that are not so great, there are also quiet a few that are. That's why this board is so important - to help make sure we all find a doctor at the top of his game that we trust to help us get the hairline and confidence back that we all so desire.

Congrats on coming out so to speak I did the same about my hair and telling friends and family so I understand what you went through. It is nice that is is out in the open and people will move on in their interest in your hair very quickly.

Yours is a good story and your hair looks great I am very happy for you.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Nice story Brenton.

I was contacted by an actor about a year ago who was looking to get very minor hairline work (probably ~200 grafts) but did not want to go outside LA. I suggested Dr Mohebi and after some consultations with a few doctors he said he was almost certain he would go with your doc.

Twelve months on and I just checked his IMDB and his hair looks perfect now!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats on coming out so to speak I did the same about my hair and telling friends and family so I understand what you went through. It is nice that is is out in the open and people will move on in their interest in your hair very quickly.

Yours is a good story and your hair looks great I am very happy for you.

Thanks man. It really wasn't worth the stress of trying to hide it and worrying about being judged for it. I've found that the more comfortable a person is with a decision they've made, the more comfortable everyone else seems to be about it as well. But even better than that, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and people have expressed genuine interest in the entire process; to those on the outside of the hair transplant world, it truly is a mind-boggling procedure.

Nice story Brenton.

I was contacted by an actor about a year ago who was looking to get very minor hairline work (probably ~200 grafts) but did not want to go outside LA. I suggested Dr Mohebi and after some consultations with a few doctors he said he was almost certain he would go with your doc.

Twelve months on and I just checked his IMDB and his hair looks perfect now!

Haha. Amazing. I'm sure it's much more common here in Hollywood than people want to let on. And whoever he ended up going with, it's good to hear he got great results. :cool:

Let's be honest, you just want to be cast in my next project...

Busted. If you need a faux keyboard player for your band, I'm your guy.

Btw Voxman... How's the heart?