Severe Itching on recipient after shampooing 13 days post

Today 13 days post I started using Jonhson Babies shampoo, I left the shampoo for 10-15 minutes on scalp before clean it in order to remove the last scabs and crusts.

After drying with towel I had severe itching on scalp, face and neck, together with hot flushes and red face. It lasted around 30 minutes.

Any thoughts or ideas?, did it keep shampoo too long (it was around 12 minutes)?, could be some allergic reaction to shampoo? ( I always use it and never had anything like that before)

Could this impair the result or affect the grafts a13 days post?

Any help will be much appreciated.

I don't think you need to use the shampoo on to removes scabs. Just use warm water. If you use Johnson's on a regular basis who knows. I imagine it would soak in more with your delicate scalp and prolonged use. Just a thought...Were you on antibiotics? If you are some what allergic to them, you can have reactions a week later with symptoms like that. I reacted to them that way in the past.

Edited by Squatch

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

Many thanks for the reply.

I am not on antibiotics. I also guess it was due to prolonged shampoo use. Those 10-15 minutes with shampoo on the scalp were too much.

I hope this will not ruin the transplant. I am worried I made have done a mistake with such a shampoo exposure.

Still with a lot of itching on recipient and donnor but mostly recipient.

That is an abnormal reaction especially if you have been using the shampoo all along. IMHO, it is not too long to leave the shampoo on your scalp for 15 minutes duration as long as you diluted it with water and just poured the mixture over the recipient area.

But even so, at 13 days post-op, you should be ale to start removing the crusts as long as the recipient area ids completely healed.

You may want to consider using a shampoo product that is rich with aloe vera and stay away from shampoos that are chemical based like the product you are currently using. If you read the additives on the bottle, you will see what I mean.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Exactly Gillenator,

Very similar answer I got from my Doctor. I will not use anymore that Shampoo because he also confirmed that has PEG (polietilenclicol) which is an agressive chemical for scalp. He suggested another shampoo and I just started using it today and It was much better.

Actually I felt terrible itching on recipient area yesterday and today morning until I used this other shampoo and now I am much more released and feel no more itching.

Many thanks for all good support and advises.

Although now I am worry thinking that I may have impacted my procedure's outcome for washing with that shampoo on my 13th day post surgery.

Does anyone know if this event could have affected my grafts 13 days after surgery?

Thanks again.

Your grafts should be fine. Your epidermis which is the outer layer of scalp was symptomatic and very doubtful that your grafts were impacted because they are imbedded in the inner dermis layer of scalp tissue where the blood supply exists.

It is amazing how many chemicals and alcohol based ingredients are added to various shampoo products. Many of these alcohol additives can cause itching, redness, and even inflammation.

Glad to see that you found a good alternative shampoo product...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY