Help please for my 20 year old son

min

I'd be so grateful if someone could offer some advice please. My son who is 20 has been losing his hair for about 6 years but has only just realised. Needless to say devastated. Hair line is okay at the moment but very thin on the crown and some slight diffuse hair loss spreading out from there. Would a crown partial be a solution? And has anyone used ukhairsystems? I don't want to go with Total Cover Plus and am also looking for a stylist in London/Kent who could cut in and fit. Any help especially from crown partial users would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Is he on meds (Proscar) to stabilize the loss? It is one thing to start with a hair system, but quite another to stabilize the loss at a young age and have a positive impact on self image. If he is part of a family of Norwood 7 men, then perhaps neither HT or meds will help much, and a hair system is the way to go. There is possibly the shaved look as well-it looks really good on some guys (and low maintenance as well).

I sympathize with your plight. My hair started receding in my mid-teens.

Seek out a HT Dr & one which is on the list on this website.

Don't waste your time going to your local GP they are very limited of what they know about hair loss.

Going to a HT Dr he/ she will give you more options & speak with your son about Meds such as propica / Fin & Min

Going down this route will be a lot better than a hair pc. IMHO.

Good luck.

Ugh, i had a ht when I was 23. It's the biggest regret of my life. get him on finasteride and minoxidil for at least a year to see where he's at before opting for anything else. On the positive side his hairline is in good shape but he's thinning. The two most successful (and only successful ) treatments out there have shown the best results with general thinning around the crown to midscalp. Once he has stablized and hopefully at least into his mid to late 20's then maybe consider going down the HT route. I wish you luck.

He started receding at 14?? This is pretty unusual, maybe it`s a medical condition? Beside, at 20, why doesn`t he write his own story? We`d also need pictures to substantially evaluate the situation. In general, a HT at this age should not even be considered..

Forget meds. Too many side effects.

Any reputable HT surgeon would never agree to a procedure on a 20 year old with unstable hair loss plus risks.

My younger brother (aged 22) was losing hair around the crown and hair line at a fast rate since 18. He opted for a hair system. His biggest regret is not doing it sooner.

I agree that you should have him evaluated by a HT doctor and see what the underlying issues are. I can't imagine having to deal with hair loss at such a young age. Does this seem to run in your family?

And while I commend you for taking the initiative for him and trying to come up with a solution, I think this would also be a great opportunity for him to take control (and gain some confidence in the process) to find out for himself what his options are. You can be there to guide him and assist him with decisions, but I think this is a great learning opportunity for him as a young man stepping into adulthood. If he wants to make an account and post pictures on here to get feedback, I'm sure everyone here would be more than supportive. Not to mention it would give him a sense of community and help him realize he's not alone.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I agree that you should have him evaluated by a HT doctor and see what the underlying issues are. I can't imagine having to deal with hair loss at such a young age. Does this seem to run in your family?

And while I commend you for taking the initiative for him and trying to come up with a solution, I think this would also be a great opportunity for him to take control (and gain some confidence in the process) to find out for himself what his options are. You can be there to guide him and assist him with decisions, but I think this is a great learning opportunity for him as a young man stepping into adulthood. If he wants to make an account and post pictures on here to get feedback, I'm sure everyone here would be more than supportive. Not to mention it would give him a sense of community and help him realize he's not alone.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56