4500-5000 grafts, is it wise?

Hello everyone,

I am booked with a HT in Turkey for the 18th of March but I am slightly nervous as he has suggested 4500-5000 grafts for me (I'm only 25). I obviously respect the Dr's advice and have already agreed to do the transplant with him, but I notice people in this forum suggesting some people are having too many grafts. My individual hair strands are extremely thick (about 4x that of a normal person, or so I have been told by barbers etc) and my donor area is extremely thick and has no signs of thinning at all. If my hair is not looked at in strong light when it's dry, you would not automatically assume I was actually thinning badly (perhaps just thinning) however, when my hair is wet, it's almost like you'd be looking at the hair of someone else.

I have attached some pictures of when my hair is wet and dry, can you or any other member tell me if you agree that this is the correct amount of grafts to which you think I will require? (I have also always had a strange hairline on one side of my head which I would like correct, combined with the fact that it is receding too)

Thanks,

Jonny

sidedonar.jpg.b8cebff343d73c2c3d28148ffd278d3b.jpg

20141229_233237.jpg.6e191c2ab0e4c617054a62355b017ec1.jpg

20141229_233627.jpg.f54c3b691b604802ea2e755929573ecd.jpg

20141230_000313.jpg.d94c37774dd501505caeda2ee09aa605.jpg

dryhairfront.jpg.5857c12a00992b1d71d39b244244d4d1.jpg

Hairfrontwet.jpg.378770b95fbf127cb3c7fa11471d9668.jpg

hairtopwet.jpg.670c65df0bf6df63aed94ae13df80e11.jpg

hairtopwet2.jpg.0cec2b8482f284b8c5ea812a086a1878.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This amount is completely ridiculous to me. Considering your age and the danger of shock loss, it`s even highly unethical, if not insane... Interesting to know. It`s your choice in the end, you`re a grown man. If I were you, I would wait another couple of years, your hair looks good, and you won`t spend the majority of your time in the swimming pool, will you ;) Good luck and all the best

Yes. How did you know? I presume it's because he often suggest many grafts for his clients?

Indeed, he seems to tell you the amount you will need all in total and tries to do that amount at once.

I think with FUE you have the option of proceeding at a pace you are comfortable with, and given your hesitation about such a large procedure, I think a smaller starting session makes sense. Have you consulted with other surgeons?

I agree that given your age, the fact that you still have a substantial amount of hair and your hair loss pattern is still developing, you should proceed with caution.

I would start with a much smaller procedure if not postpone it completely for the tiem being.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for your kind replies guys, the reason I ask is I was quoted 2000 grafts by another highly respected surgeon in Turkey, however, Dr erdogan said would never be even close to enough for me..
2000 grafts would be enough in the short term, likely not long term though. I echo the sentiment that you should not do anything yet, your hair now looks as good or better than a lot of people get post HT. Have you tried using minoxidil?

2516 grafts FUT - Dr. Rahal Sept 2013

1523 grafts FUT - Dr. Rahal Feb 2016

4039 total grafts

This amount is completely ridiculous to me. Considering your age and the danger of shock loss, it`s even highly unethical, if not insane... Interesting to know. It`s your choice in the end, you`re a grown man. If I were you, I would wait another couple of years, your hair looks good, and you won`t spend the majority of your time in the swimming pool, will you ;) Good luck and all the best

Thanks for your response, how many grafts would you feel is the correct amount?

Yeah, I tried using it, it didn't do anything but wrinkle my face... I stopped after 6 months of using it. I would definitely like to fix my odd hairline either way as it has always bothered me..
~2000 grafts into the frontal 1/3rd should be plenty. You could do that to start with if you want to address the hairline, and then work your way back to the mid scalp and crown as the loss progresses

4039 total grafts

~2000 grafts into the frontal 1/3rd should be plenty. You could do that to start with if you want to address the hairline, and then work your way back to the mid scalp and crown as the loss progresses

Yeah, he suggested 3000 for the hairline alone... My issue is, it's not easy for me to constantly return to Turkey and have more work done. Is it possible that he suggests this many grafts as he understands that?

Yeah, he suggested 3000 for the hairline alone... My issue is, it's not easy for me to constantly return to Turkey and have more work done. Is it possible that he suggests this many grafts as he understands that?
Yeah, some docs prefer to do mega sessions in order to cut down on more surgeries in the future. The problem with this approach in your case is that your hair loss has not advanced to the point where this would be a good idea. Your balding pattern has not yet been clearly established yet, so if you take 5k grafts and pack them densely into the thinner areas now, it may look good for a few years until your hair loss advances to the point where you need more grafts, leaving you with a very unnatural looking balding pattern. The other issue is that you have plenty of healthy native hairs right now, many of which may be lost to permanent shock loss, leaving you with a net hair count lower than expected. The best approach in your case is to wait until hair loss progresses further before doing anything. The second best approach is to start with a smaller surgery and work your way back. I think 3000 for the hairline is overkill.

4039 total grafts

It appears as if though many FUE surgeons have set a limit as to how many grafts they will do in one day via FUE. However, many FUT surgeons still transplant 4000 - 5000 grafts in one procedure without hesitation.

Why are mega sessions encouraged via FUT?

Is the risk of poor growth lower via FUT when 4000-5500 grafts are transplanted?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Does Erdogan need defending or something? what do you mean?

Well in your case for starters, he's made an ethically questionable judgment call by advising so many grafts at such a young age. It's something he's done with younger patients on more than one occasion. Some posters like BUSA seem to think that's not a problem but most with some experience of HTs know it really IS

I'm not convinced you need any work done as the photos just look like someone with a mature hairline who wet down their hair.

People with thicker caliber tend to have lower density, this makes hair look thinner when it is wet. I know because my hair is very similar to yours.

At most I could only recommend 1000 grafts maximum to even out any minor lop-sidedness in the hairline. Your hairline is in a good location where it is currently and should not really be lowered. Not at 25 anyway.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for your reply guys,

I wish I had a better camera because me and family members do all agree that I do at least need 'something' done.. The coarseness (my hair strands are seriously thick to the extent that styling my hair was always a nightmare) of my hair really does hide a lot of my problems, the problem becomes clear under harsh light and when my hair becomes wet and I also can no longer using styling products on my hair.

Although strangely, I have no family history of MPB at all, I would not be devastated to lose my hair in my 40's for example. With Propecia, it seems to have halted my hair loss so with this considered, is this many grafts still an unwise move?

Thanks for your reply guys,

I wish I had a better camera because me and family members do all agree that I do at least need 'something' done.. The coarseness (my hair strands are seriously thick to the extent that styling my hair was always a nightmare) of my hair really does hide a lot of my problems, the problem becomes clear under harsh light and when my hair becomes wet and I also can no longer using styling products on my hair.

Although strangely, I have no family history of MPB at all, I would not be devastated to lose my hair in my 40's for example. With Propecia, it seems to have halted my hair loss so with this considered, is this many grafts still an unwise move?

Believe me, you will not like hair loss any more in your 40's than your 20's!

Be really careful as you are doing and do not jump into anything. Whichever surgeon you chose should plan for future loss and make sure that whatever procedure they do can stand on its own. Propecia helps - but nothing is guaranteed to work forever.