Michael Vories, MD FUE 7125 grafts- Update

Attached is an update on a previous 5125 graft FUE case we performed in September 2012. For increased density in the frontal forelock the patient returned last week for 2000 additional FUE grafts. Also included is a photo of the donor area to show scarring using a 0.80 mm punch. All grafts extracted and placed by the physician using Hans Lion Implanter Pens. We will continue to post monthly updates as the second procedure matures.

BF.jpg.35eb953cc82bfe44a9f07f1a44b8916e.jpg

BR.jpg.d105c6fef0871d2f19435305b05a997f.jpg

BL.jpg.6f6b92edc8151a6d92151773ffa9a874.jpg

BC.jpg.db8b22d37211468860d097015e8fed97.jpg

BP.jpg.89d2599155425ec37dab4abe36357ed7.jpg

OR1F.jpg.0f9e33ae38c212642cdc6cc78a3dfca8.jpg

A1F.jpg.e48613a47653a86595ee1007cfd3b18c.jpg

A1R.jpg.7d776c1db89c4014b15c3648cf8a0205.jpg

A1L.jpg.71722f11cd1e21c1be1452fba9a7f98b.jpg

A1C.jpg.aa73525845eb6256da33643103adc7ef.jpg

A1P.jpg.c5012e01f7eaadea3b9127699f2010c9.jpg

Scar.jpg.8287c71f04bfe9a071ba695bcd468f0d.jpg

OR2F.jpg.0420f631575be125073c7bda5c68828f.jpg

OR2R.jpg.0042f10e50174d22696c7ff1a77fe804.jpg

OR2L.jpg.77749aee12e427694b19ab821840675f.jpg

OR2P.jpg.d7effdb2e85a923d9ae678caaf880c7d.jpg

Nice work! Look forward to updates.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr Vories does this patient have any more donor reserves if future touch up or additional procedure is needed?

What is the "average"donor capacity for your FUE procedures? I assume this patient had good donor qualities based on the 7000K scalp grafts thus far?

The results looks good so far. Looking forward to future updates.

This is a nice case. Donor looks good, result not super dense but very natural. Looking forward to seeing what the 2000 grafts do to the result. it was a very large area covered.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Is this patient on any meds? Nice work on the crown in the first procedure. Looks like you used a perfect amount of grafts to get some coverage, but not over-apply into the crown black hole. It looks like his anterior mid scalp did not fill in too well with the first procedure. Is that a yield issue, or was there something else that may have prevented better growth/density there? Lots of single hair grafts?

Is this patient on any meds? Nice work on the crown in the first procedure. Looks like you used a perfect amount of grafts to get some coverage, but not over-apply into the crown black hole. It looks like his anterior mid scalp did not fill in too well with the first procedure. Is that a yield issue, or was there something else that may have prevented better growth/density there? Lots of single hair grafts?

I think it's important to remember this guy was pretty much totally bald in the areas. It goes back to what I try to tell people, that an are transplanted in the area size of a cd at 50 cm2, you'll need around 5k grafts, which what we're looking at is much larger.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Oh, I agree, Spanker. I think he has some nice hairline to crown coverage and no doubt the doc had to stretch the graft placement to make that happen. It just surprised me that the thinnest area for graft growth seems to be in the anterior mid scalp area. So did he place the same density as the mid scalp but anterior just did not emerge as well, or did he actually not place as many grafts in the anterior mid scalp?

I believe this will be his final procedure. He will still have 1000-2000 grafts left if needed in his donor, but these should only be used if they are absolutely necessary. (Trauma, burn, etc.). He has a very good donor density, but his hair caliber was not great at 55 microns. Many, but not all, patients have this donor capacity, and should be evaluated on an individual basis.

Doctor, your point about graft drying using Neograft is extremely valuable to us here.

I was actaully considering having work done at such Neograft clinic and you have extensive experience using this tool - could you please elaborate ?

Was the yield too low or did you notice other issues versus a non-suction tool

And what about the positive air pressure - push - implanter pen from Neograft/Medicamat, when it comes to tight graft placement or angle control ?

Thank you

Edited by elduterino

Suction can only damage grafts. There is no reason to use suction besides speed. Once I reached a point where I could extract 2000 grafts in one day without suction, I stopped using the NeoGraft machine.

In my opinion, Inplanter Pens should be used routinely with FUE. These fragile grafts are very difficult to be hand placed without trauma. In fact, it is my belief that most of the discussion involving poor yield with FUE is due to placement of grafts, and not extraction. The problem in using Implanter Pens is it puts the physician back in the OR, and limits your practice to one surgery per day.

Suction can only damage grafts. There is no reason to use suction besides speed. Once I reached a point where I could extract 2000 grafts in one day without suction, I stopped using the NeoGraft machine.

In my opinion, Inplanter Pens should be used routinely with FUE. These fragile grafts are very difficult to be hand placed without trauma. In fact, it is my belief that most of the discussion involving poor yield with FUE is due to placement of grafts, and not extraction. The problem in using Implanter Pens is it puts the physician back in the OR, and limits your practice to one surgery per day.

I commend you, Dr. Vories, for making a statement about desiccation such as you did. Other Neograft users may have said as much in the past but I'm not aware of any. I've rallied against Neograft for years and it is nice to see an honest informed opinion about the device.