My experience with Finasteride: 1 year

Solaire1487

Hey guys, I have learned a lot from people sharing their experiences on this forum and forums like it. I thought I would share my experience so far as it may help people in future in a similar position. I am either nwII or nwIII based of some online consultations I have done.

My hair line started receding when I was 21(my crown has always been ok, Im 28 now) My dad, grandads and most of my uncles have hair loss to some extent, some more than others. My first attempt to tackle hair loss was pretty lame. I read a few posts and wikipedia about what to do, read about finasteride and its possible side effects and said no way. I tried not to think about my hair loss and ignored it for a couple years but it got worse. I finally did some more research and found minoxidil. I bought a year supply and have been using it for nearly 4 years.Along the way I added nizoral to my regime.

I had some success with minoxidil though the parts that the hair was gone never came back. It just thickened and improved the hair that was left and had some random hairs sprout in the bald parts. Fast forward 3 years and I finally got sick of the hair loss enough that I decided I would at least talk to a doctor about finasteride and hear a professionals view point on it. To be honest I was worried about side effects like a lot of people. Hearing him explain about the side effects put me at ease enough to try it.

I started in December 2013 easing myself onto the drug using something SPEX recommended on another forum. 1/4 pill 1st week, two 1/4 pills second week. three 1/4 third week etc etc

So far I have experienced no side effects other than slight ball ache at first. SInce then alls been good. My libido is normal, still get morning wood and no moobs.

However I feel like my hair has gotten worse even though my hair loss seems to have stopped. I can pull at my hair and one or two come out where as before 20/30 plus came out. I understand that finasteride might not work well on the hair line but I will stay on it to hopefully set myself up for a transplant if needs be in a few years time.

I have attached a picture(of pictures:p) showing me from a couple years ago through to the present. One thing I wish I did was take better pictures in the past.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.:)

Compilation2.jpg.bb66ea82caa9ce2ab2af0e246e943e8d.jpg

Good report.

From it looks that you have held on to a decent lot of hair & my advice is that Fin maybe not giving you the gains you would like but defo holding onto what you have left & this for somebody in maybe having HT in the future will help you out a great deal.

Again great post stick with your Meds.

Looks good, stick with it. Your hair line is high enough that you can "hold the line"there with a future ht if desired, but I recommend meds for right now.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'd say it's pretty much what you should expect in terms of regrowth.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using the liquid pretty much everyday for 3-4 years. I think I am going through a shed at the minute. Every time I run my hand through my hair like alot of hairs come out. It's a bummer because my hair improved a lot for the 1st 7 months then it shed, now it seems to have bounced back a bit and started shedding again. I am going To stick with the treatments anyway.Has any one experienced this?

Good to see you decided to give it a shot. More often than not, guys are able to take this with little to no complications. Hope it keeps things nice and steady for you. Hairline still looks to be in pretty good shape as well, so keep it up. You have great pictures now to document its progression later on down the line to help determine your best course of action.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I've been using the liquid pretty much everyday for 3-4 years. I think I am going through a shed at the minute. Every time I run my hand through my hair like alot of hairs come out. It's a bummer because my hair improved a lot for the 1st 7 months then it shed, now it seems to have bounced back a bit and started shedding again. I am going To stick with the treatments anyway.Has any one experienced this?

Foam worked much better than liquid for me and dries much faster

Yeah the liquid can be annoying sometimes. If I could find a cheap generic foam minoxodil is consider using it.

With my fin experience so far I wish I had started 5/6 years ago. I've been lucky that my hairloss had been relatively slow.

Yeah the liquid can be annoying sometimes. If I could find a cheap generic foam minoxodil is consider using it.

With my fin experience so far I wish I had started 5/6 years ago. I've been lucky that my hairloss had been relatively slow.

I think Costco is about $9 bottle for foam................foam worked MUCH better for me