No post-op antibiotics given after 2000 FUE. Infection 36 hrs later?

Hi all,

I had a 2000 graft FUE procedure 36 hrs ago. After surgery I was not given any antibiotics.

It kind of puzzled me but I trusted they would do what's best.

The next morning I had my first washing and all seemed fine. During that day my forehead continued to swell and I had a headache for most of the day but the discomfort eased after getting some rest.

Then today the doctor noticed some yellowish dried up discharge in the recipient area and gave me antibiotics to take every 12 hours.

How bad is this and is it an oversight by the clinic that I did not receive any antibiotics right after the surgery? Really worried now.

Edited by ZeoRanger
Clarification

The clinics and/or doctors who use an anti-biotic as a consistent part of their protocol normally start their patients several days before the procedure. Then it is continued for up to approximately three days post-op. In your case, the infection occurred several days after and sounds like folliculitis?

Antibiotics are not used as much anymore in HT surgery like they were years ago. I think the reason for this is because infections are very rare and if they do develop post-op, most are treatable.

Hope everything clears up for you in the near future and your doctor is probably giving you some advice and treating your infection until it is gone.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The doc looked at it and said it looks good and I'm experiencing a common side effect for dense packing. I didn't get a proper answer on whether I'm experiencing an infection, inflammation or something else.

I've been given an antibiotic pill to take every 12 hrs. Looks like it's clearing up.

Generally speaking, doctors prescribe anti-biotics for infections, not for inflammation so that in itself tells you something.

Glad to hear that you are having improvement...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY