Is there a medical test that shows if hair loss is due to poor health?

mrpitiful

What kind of doctor would I see to know if maybe my hair loss is due to health reasons? Ive just been wondering lately because I've had very slow hair loss I noticed when I was 21 and now Im 37. Its finally at the point where Ive lost a lot of it but is that normal timeline? Is there some kind of test I can take that shows if Im deficient in something?

Hair loss is almost always genetic. Just take a trip to downtown and look at some bums with rockstar hair that subsist on whatever food they can get, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and whatever else. I guarantee you have MPB. It can make you lose your hair rather quickly or slowly over time according to your genes. Get on finsteride and wait a year or two and reasses the situation, if it doesn't improve to your satisfaction, look into hair restoration. That what were all here for.

• 4 weeks later...

probably a blood test to see if your deficient in anything, but what densedream said. hairloss can be slow then all of a sudden you lose like hell or you could lose like hell then it stops. nobody really knows. best bet is to look at your parents and grandparents to see where you are destined to be