How to hide a transplant

Guys

I'm Booked in with Dr Ferundi in March and am now panicking about hiding the fact ive had a transplant. No one at all knows I am going for it, I'm going to tell my gf shortly but that will be it.

I'm wanting to keep it hidden as much as possible so was wondering what to do ? I've thought about getting a full head wig ?

Depends how conscious you about the HT. If you decide to wear a hat then best to start wearing one on occasions now (assuming you currently do wear.one) that way it minimises any suspicions people may have.

Up to you. Nobody knows I had one. I wear a hat though. If someone asks I will tell them. By the way a wig wouldn't work. A wig would not let you heal.

Yeah this is what I thought with a wig... I'll just have to wear a hat which I do most of the time anyhow I'll just struggle at work lol

I had ~2500 grafts with Feriduni early 2014 (all hairline/temple work) and no one I know has any clue, not even my roommate. I'm now in the "safe zone" in that the result has grown in and I honestly don't think even I could determine I had a HT based on inspection. Writing this actually bring me a smile because it kind of just sunk in what I pulled it off :)

In my case I did not use a hat or wig, but left as much hair as possible up top long (to style over the transplanted areas) and used some strategic makeup placement to smooth out the transition from normal skin tone to red. Depending on what you're getting done you may be able to do what I did. I think shaving down the entire head pre-op is a bad decision in general though... it may look better that way immediately post-op, but when the transplanted grafts shed you'll be left exposed and with limited options.

I had an op with Dr Feriduni four weeks ago and my entire head was shaved for the procedure as I had 3500 grafts FUE and the doc recommended I shave down. From two weeks post op, no one will suspect you have had an HT. I'm hanging onto about 80% of grafts ATM, but in a few weeks when they all fall out things may look a bit strange, but I think people are too polite in general to say anything.

It certainly can be an anxiety inducing experience, getting a HT. As I had temple work done, Dr F advised not covering my head for the first few days, so I had to walk round Hasselt and travel through Brussels and London with a very peculiar looking head, hundreds of holes in my donor area and half my head was dyed purple where the grafts were implanted. You can certainly feel eyes on you and I confess to feeling quite uncomfortable making that trip back, when you are in such close proximity to so many people.

From about day four post op, I had significant swelling, so again you are going to look strange if you have to venture out, which I did on a few occasions.

You then have the whole ugly duckling phase to endure, which can last several weeks.

Overall, it is certainly not an easy process to go through and you will have to make many sacrifices, be incredibly patient, and put up with a lot of doubt and extended periods of feeling uncomfortable with your appearance until the hair matures and blends in with your native hair and you achieve a successful outcome, which is not guaranteed.

So, if you embark on this process, you are going to have to be prepared for a rollercoaster ride which will test your patience and resolve, but for many people the results are worth it. For some it can be an empowering process as for the first time in years you are facing the world face on in all your balding glory, rather than hiding behind that comb over and/or concealer you have been using all those years to mask your insecurity. Ridding yourself of those shackles can be quite a liberating experience for some.

I think a lot of it depends on how well you heal, but I do think you can hide it. I went back to work after 10 days and did not have anyone notice I had the HT. I did look like I had a bit of a sunburn on my head, but not enough for anyone to question it. If you have the ability to wear a hat as a backup I think you can easily hide it, but I think you need to go in with the understanding that you may not be able to hide it and if you need to come clean then you need to. Once I made the decision to move ahead I was hoping to hide it, but I told myself that if I couldn't it would be worth it in the end.

Good luck!!!