• HRN-Banner-800.jpg

Question about submitted cases on the forums

I have spent a great deal of time looking through the cases submitted by forum users (ie. not the clinics), and noticed that the majority of them lately seem to be from Turkey and India. Why don't we see as many cases from the Belgian and US docs anymore?

For example, I found a thread here with users discussing who they thought the "top" guys were, but a lot of them haven't had patients post cases in quite awhile.

It would make sense if the clinics themselves stopped posting because of increased business and not needing the phone calls, but patient cases seemed fewer as well. What is the reason for this?

FUE,

Case presentations, be it from patients or doctors, seem to come in waves. It feels like we'll see a ton of work from a doctor all at once; then we won't see as much from him and another will end up in the spot light. It doesn't mean both doctors aren't still doing great work each day. Most doctors probably compile results for a while and then post a whole group when they have time.

A bit difficult to explain the patient side of things. Maybe they wait until they see their physician posting before feeling motivated enough to share their own results?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I've noticed this too, it is a little funny. Clinic submitted cases do seem to be more evenly distributed geographically than patient cases on the site.

For patient submitted cases, perhaps it reflects a shift in volume for the surgery to those countries or a change in the user demographics of this site.

For clinic submitted cases, I'd imaging that the well known clinics that are not submitting cases may shift away from internet marketing once their patient intake becomes more established (ie. perhaps once business is flush, it's easier to work with local patients).

Clinic or Rep presented cases will obviously showcase superior results due to the marketing advertisement aspect almost every time. (Unless they want to stimulate business by showing how ethical they are and the types of scars they had, both good or bad et etc). Youll see plenty of clinic posted cases.

Patients who present real cases in an overly cheering way either are proud that their doc is going to help them get through baldness and sufferring of many years OR have incentives/further discounts for positive reviews for some cases.

Patients who present real cases in a neutral way tend to outline all the facts good or bad,if any, without hesitation, tend to be critical source of realistic info. These guys are rare as many patients do not take the time to post online. Why are they rare? Lets say one doc is having 8 surgeries per week which means 32 a month, but only like 1-2 people comes to forums to share their own experiences. You dont know what happens with the rest. But there are plenty of touch up and repair procedures folks.

Patients who post regularly and have documented their results articulately tend to stimulate unbiased user feedback. In some cases, other patients or trolls (hoping for touchups or incentives) of the doctor may chime in to cloud member judgement about these patients negatively if they show anything of concern.

Look for cases that are well documented and neutral. Probably the best place to start.

I have spent a great deal of time looking through the cases submitted by forum users (ie. not the clinics), and noticed that the majority of them lately seem to be from Turkey and India. Why don't we see as many cases from the Belgian and US docs anymore?

For example, I found a thread here with users discussing who they thought the "top" guys were, but a lot of them haven't had patients post cases in quite awhile.

It would make sense if the clinics themselves stopped posting because of increased business and not needing the phone calls, but patient cases seemed fewer as well. What is the reason for this?

What you have to remember is this is a promotional website for the clinics where they are recommended by lay persons to acquire some sort of status as being elite. It takes years to be recognised as a "top doctor" However post ten results on this site, have numerous happy patients post and you took the short cut.

Here is a quote from Dr. Feller who does not post much on here now, this quote is taken from another site.

It's true that many clinics have been accused of putting disingenuous posters online to promote their clinics in one form or another. There is probably no realistic way to guard against this as long as it is not overdone to the point where it raises eyebrows.

However, when astronomical numbers of newbies supporting ONE particular clinic appear on the site virtually overnight, then the "evidence" is right there in the numbers, and that should be enough for any reasonable person to act upon.

When this scenario began to play out on this site I brought the problem to your attention, but you refused to do anything about it because of a lack of "direct proof". As you well know, short of a shill making a full and unsolicited confession (which will never happen), proof of forum abuse by anonymous posters is impossible for the average person to collect.

I believe one of the rules of this forum is that patients of clinics may not post if they have been secretly compensated by that clinic in anyway to do so. Well, let's face it, getting that kind of proof and confession is virtually impossible. But when legions of such posters begin to regularly appear making favorable posts about one particular clinic, then I think it is safe to CONCLUDE something is amiss and that immediate action should be taken.

The formula for suspicion is easy. When the number of newbie posters for one particular clinic exceeds the favorable posts for ALL other clinics COMBINED, as just happened on this site, then a hold has to be imposed until those newbies not only authenticate themselves, but agree to sign documents that state clearly that they have not been compensated for their participation.

PHD,

I appreciate your point about needing more transparency in the industry.

Although review sites like Amazon or Yelp have internal filters and algorithms to filter out disingenuous reviews, to an extent cases are at least manually vetted here (ie. when Doganay had an unusual number of cases submitted from patient accounts in a short time period, the moderators looked into it).

Still, the point is certainly there that we have no way to reach complete transparency as the internet currently stands. Even tracing IP addresses and browser cookies can have you running around in circles.

I'm not sure what there is to be done about it, beyond being vigilant about the potential for duplicity when large quantities of money are on the line. Overall, though, I don't really share Feller's perception of smoking guns behind every grassy knoll, and still think it could just be coincidence, or reflect varying levels of online awareness in different markets.

• 3 weeks later...
FUE,

A bit difficult to explain the patient side of things. Maybe they wait until they see their physician posting before feeling motivated enough to share their own results?

It just seems strange that when I look at Alexa, the visitors from this site are mostly American and Indian, but when I look at patient submitted cases, there are a considerable patient submitted cases from places like Turkey.

Perhaps they are encouraged to by their clinics? (ie. monetary incentive, etc.). Similar to businesses here that doing that here. For example, my dentist has a raffle every month for patients that submit Yelp reviews. Perhaps there is a similar phenomenon there.

FUE,

It just seems interesting that so many patient submitted cases are from certain regions of the world. Perhaps they are encouraged to by their clinics? (ie. monetary incentive, etc.). Similar to businesses here that doing that here. For example, my dentist has a raffle every month for patients that submit Yelp reviews. Perhaps there is a similar phenomenon there.

some just advertise better then others. it only behooves the clinic to demonstrate their work.

but some clinics have been around a very long time and feel less need to promote their business cause word of mouth is the best advertising there is.

but me personally if I'm not seeing a LOT of examples from a particular doctor then I wud not be interested cause ANY clinic can look good by posting a few examples of their best work but a TRUE representation of a clinics expertise is posting LOTS of work and even some that was just average vs. their "BEST".

and ur really only gonna see work posted by recommended doctors mostly. keep in mind there are plenty of great doctors around the world that are simply not recommended here and do not wish to pay fees and post on other forums.

It just seems interesting that so many patient submitted cases are from certain regions of the world. Perhaps they are encouraged to by their clinics? (ie. monetary incentive, etc.). Similar to businesses here that doing that here. For example, my dentist has a raffle every month for patients that submit Yelp reviews. Perhaps there is a similar phenomenon there.

I think there are clearly cases of clinics posing as patients. You will typically see these cases post only when the result is grown out at the 12 month + mark. Therefore never a bad one.

You can generally tell from the tone of the posts and most genuine patients will post progress as they go from the beginning not wait until final result and post up lots of pictures.