(New Member)Dr Path- which to choose FUT/FUE?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking in the background for some time now.

I have finally decided to book a HT with Dr Path later this year but I have a few questions that I hope you can help with.

Firstly I'm in my late 20's, receding hairline for the last 10years, prob Norwood 2a. I've been on 5% minox for the last 5 years, finasteride for approx 2.5 years. And nizoral every third day. So my hair has stabilised I think from using the big 3.

But I have decided on a HT to naturally lower my hairline a bit, and frame my face better. I have always had a high hairline, even as a child so I don't want anything too dramatic. Ideally lower the hairline by a centimetre or two, increase density in my current hairline and close off the side of my hairline. You can see from my pics, my rightside is a lot further back on the side of my face. I would like my right to look more like the left, and just frame my face better.

After a lot of research I have decided on Dr Path. I know he has an excellent reputation here. He suggested circa 1000 grafts to lower my hairline slightly and corner the temples.

I have posted some pics to see what you all think? I would really like the surgery to be a once off thing, so would maybe like to aim closer to 1500, maybe even 2000 grafts if possible. I know that a HT gives the illusion of density with 50 units/per sq cm rather than the average 100 but is it possible to implant units in my existing hairline and still lower it also. I would like to pack my hairline and front third of my scalp so as to prevent needing further surgery down the road if/when my original hair continues to recede after the surgery?

The big question also is FUE or FUT. I have yet to decide on which procedure and will wait until I am assessed in the consultation to see what number of grafts are needed to get my desired result but until then I would really like some advice on the matter. I know that this is a huge topic and I have read the pros and cons, but I suppose I will narrow it down so maybe you guys can advise on what might suit me best.

So I like to wear my hair short, usually a blade #2 or #3 and the back and sides, so obviously FUE would be better in this. I don't think I could justify getting a FUT scar for only 1000 grafts however 1500-2000 i think would be more justifiable to get FUT.

Dr Path has quoted excellent transection rates with both procedures and I have seen his FUT scar work, which is excellent. But would it be fair to see that he is mostly seen as a FUT doctor, rather than say the European FUE Docs like Lorenzo etc?

At the end of the day the end result is most important, and from my emails to Dr Path it seems he favours FUT quite a bit more than FUE. I can't find many Dr Path FUE blogs/sites on here or other websites. Also Dr Path uses motorised punch removal for FUE, where most of the best FUE seem to use manual. Motorised has been known to damage the units, overheating torsion etc.

I suppose what I am asking is, if you needed only 1000 grafts, didnt want a FUT scar, and were going to Dr Path which would you choose and why?

I'm sorry for rambling so much.

Thanks in advance,

88mph

5b32e398c13cd_Front2.jpg.ce9e5216bc9af491f71ddfb945edbf0a.jpg

Front.jpg.64abb320796d724c05a314a5d2778a60.jpg

5b32e398ee8b4_Rightside.jpg.a35156f7959d425e5b8d0298ac472fc5.jpg

5b32e3990a046_LeftSide.jpg.f220beeddcc7b5eda0195864d3253a4f.jpg

Back.jpg.3d477b9b52d884b3815b95e93f6b1cd2.jpg

Dude.... Your hair looks great right now. I would wait and see what may come later. I know that's not what you asked. You will have to give something to get. Are you sure you want to sacrifice something right now?

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

Thanks for the kind words guys, I know that my loss is not nearly as bad as others on the forum. But it still does affect me. I'm currently in a financial position to get this sorted. Also I will be travelling through south east Asia so will have approx 3 weeks recovery time before I fly back to Australia.

I don't want anything too dramatic. Maybe lowered by a cm and increase the temperol angles on the side of my face. Is it possible to units transplanted into my existing frontal third to combat future loss.

Also should I be concerned that Dr Path aims to give 40 units per Sq cm. I have seen Dr Firuidani from Belgium offers 70 to 90 units per Sq cent in density?

Thanks for the kind words guys, I know that my loss is not nearly as bad as others on the forum. But it still does affect me. I'm currently in a financial position to get this sorted. Also I will be travelling through south east Asia so will have approx 3 weeks recovery time before I fly back to Australia.

I don't want anything too dramatic. Maybe lowered by a cm and increase the temperol angles on the side of my face. Is it possible to units transplanted into my existing frontal third to combat future loss.

Also should I be concerned that Dr Path aims to give 40 units per Sq cm. I have seen Dr Firuidani from Belgium offers 70 to 90 units per Sq cent in density?

Kudos to you for doing your homework it seems like you really had a good long hard think about this.

IMHO....I don't think you should go for HT right now bacause from what it looks like you look just fine as your Meds seem to be doing its job & would carry you for several more yrs but that's just me & not you so if the push comes to the shuv then I would go for FUE as your a low NW.

Again its nice to see that some of the young bucks is doing there research & not just jumping in any ole thing....well done again.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Dr Path will only use the SAFE motorised punch nobody else, the nurses that have been with him for 20years extract them. He extracts a small number too I believe. He creates the recipient slits and places some units but mostly the nurses again. He has told me the end result with his hands are the same as FUT. His transection rates are 1-2% FUT, 5-10% FUE.

Again thanks for the kind words but I have made up my mind on getting the surgery. Can some posters please give me some insight into whether they think FUE sounds good with Dr Path.

Particularly the fact he uses the SAFE motorised but not manual.

That the nurses extract and implant the majority of units.

And lastly his target recipient donor density of 40units per Sq cm versus the 70-90 that other FUE docs can achieve?

I know he and team have an excellent reputation, I thought he had more of a reputation as a FUT doc... Does his FUE practices sound good?

Thanks

Dr path isn't that great imho on fue. I think even he might admit that .

You need to think long term, don't get any work done until you really need it.

You don't need anything done, your hair looks perfect as it is.

In 10 years when your hair recedes more, you will have wasted 1500 grafts on a lower hairline

That might be impossible to maintain.

I had surgery done with path in November and he was pretty adamant I use FUT only .

I think the reason being that he isn't an expert with that technique.

There's no way in hell you should have FUT done for 1500.

Look elsewhere for FUE; And yes all his techs do the work.

And lastly, If I had to critique path it would be that his closures could be better.

(Another reason for you to rule out FUT)

Thanks for the response Aquafria. I just want to thicken and lower my hairline about 1 cm and get stronger tempular locks on the side(the part above my sideburns.) Do you think this would be achievable with 1000 grafts or would I need closer to 1500.

Overall were you happy with Dr Path? I'm surprised about u not being happy with his wound closure as they usually have an excellent reputation. Like u mentioned there's no way I'd get FUT just for 1000. But maybe for 1500-2000. His clinic does appear more FUT based. According to Dr Path in his hands the end result from FUT and FUE are the same. A lot of his results posted online are for large 3000 graft sessions for Norwood 3-5s. He has a few for FUE. Maybe I should ask him to send me some more results on smaller jobs ie 1000-1500.

What do you think of his hairlines? They seem nice to me, natural and not too aggressive. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the response Aquafria. I just want to thicken and lower my hairline about 1 cm and get stronger tempular locks on the side(the part above my sideburns.) Do you think this would be achievable with 1000 grafts or would I need closer to 1500.

Overall were you happy with Dr Path? I'm surprised about u not being happy with his wound closure as they usually have an excellent reputation. Like u mentioned there's no way I'd get FUT just for 1000. But maybe for 1500-2000. His clinic does appear more FUT based. According to Dr Path in his hands the end result from FUT and FUE are the same. A lot of his results posted online are for large 3000 graft sessions for Norwood 3-5s. He has a few for FUE. Maybe I should ask him to send me some more results on smaller jobs ie 1000-1500.

What do you think of his hairlines? They seem nice to me, natural and not too aggressive. What are your thoughts?

Firstly, yes, I was happy with Path. I think he's a great doctor.

I didn't say I was unhappy with his wound closure, just that, given his pricing in comparison to his regional peers and some other options within Europe, you should be on the receiving end of a gold-standard in hair transplants.and his wound-closure doesn't quite meet that standard. It's good, but it could be better. You only have to look at ex-patients from Hasson & Wong to see what I would consider to be the gold standard. (staples + trichophytic)

You'll also have an approach that you should minimise the number of surgeries you receive, and maximise your grafts, because you only have a limited number of grafts, 6000-8000 in general for your entire life, and with each successive FUT operation you have, you are reducing your scalp laxity and donor supply, as well as giving yourself a life-time scar. Not to mention the recovery time involved.

This is something I didn't appreciate when I consulted with Dr Pong (Chiang Mai) his approach is to take several small operations.

If I were you, and I was a stubborn and headstrong as you are being, I would go to Europe and explore the FUE options there; you'll find better FUE doctors there, than in Asia.

I would call into question the morality of any doctor who performed FUT on someone with non-stabilised hair-loss, such as you.

As for the amount of grafts, to answer that question, really, you need to visit a doctor and have them measure the area concerned.

Dr. Path doesn't do FUE. He's a great doctor but his techs tend to do most of the heavy lifting. The only thing he does exclusively is the strip excision and wound closure and from what I've seen, those are fantastic.

88mph, if you only want to do this once, go elsewhere. Go to Belgium, see Bisanga, Mwamba, Feriduni etc. They're more expensive but you'll get what you pay for. Check out past Dr. Path patients Jason5, akuma and wb280.

If you scrimp on costs, you increase the likelihood of ending up in a chair again within 12-18 months

• 2 weeks later...