Facial Scarring at Recipient Site For A Beard/Facial Hair Transplant??

Hello Community,

First, thank you in advance for reading this.

I have done 4 hours of research and have still been unsuccessful in finding an answer to the following question:

1.When going to one of the top rated HT surgeons for getting a facial/beard hair transplant (whereby you are transplanting hair to the face/the face is the recipient site), what is the probability that the recipient site (the face) will show scarring from where the recipient site incisions were made, when it is clean shaved?

I believe the reason that it has been very hard for me to find information on this question during the last 4 hours i have spent researching it, is because it is assumed that if one is getting a beard/facial hair transplant, then this would not be a concern to them, as that transplant patient would be having hair on their face anyways.

However in my case, i'd like to just add some thickness to my patchy beard when i choose to wear one. But i don't want this procedure to forever preclude me from being able to wear a clean shaven face, due to having facial scars from the incisions made at the facial recipient site during the facial HT procedure.

*Please note when commenting, that i prefaced this question to be specifically as it relates to getting this work done by one of the top HT transplant surgeons (and hopefully those such doctors who perform this procedure can provide their comments in this thread). That is because i already know, that if the work is done by a bad/unskilled/inexperienced doctor (which i would never allow one to touch me) then the results could/should be expected to be correspondingly bad (and that really applies to any medical procedure of any kind). So please provide your comments in the context of what should be expected as far as facial recipient site scarring when going to one of the top-rated HT docs.

Thanks in advance for your comments and thoughts, they are greatly appreciated and immeasurably helpful.

I'm sure your comments will help others besides me as well, because as i said there is very little information anywhere on this particular question, and i'm sure that beard/facial HT patients would like to keep the option of wearing a clean shaven face reserved.

myHTstory,

Welcome to our community. That's a very interesting question. It's a bit difficult to answer however, because there are a number of variables to consider. Firstly, it should be noted that anytime the skin is punctured or scored, scarring occurs. Whether or not it is visible or how visible it is will depend on those variables. In the hands of an excellent surgeon such as those recommended by our community, scarring will be minimal due to the use of minimally invasive tools. Furthermore, skin tone and a patient's physiology can play a role in healing and scar visibility. For the most part however, scarring will most likely be minimal and virtually undetectable in the hands of a skilled physician.

Best wishes,

Bill

There are some people who had a hair transplant and then later decided to shave their head anyway. You may want to try searching for some of those to get an idea of what a shaved area after transplanting into it would look like.

BeHappy, thanks so much for that thought and comment; though to my knowledge facial skin does not have the same characteristic makeup as scalp skin (and any docs or moderators that can confirm that statement it would be greatly appreciated) therefore i wouldn't want to use someones post-recovery recipient-site-scalp response, as the basis to do a procedure to my recipient-site face. And as mentioned in the starting post in the thread, there is extremely little of both info and imagery, regarding scarring on the recipient face-site during a beard transplant.

There are some people who had a hair transplant and then later decided to shave their head anyway. You may want to try searching for some of those to get an idea of what a shaved area after transplanting into it would look like.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great question. I could not find an answer. Here what I come up after contacting top Drs around the world mainly in USA but only one top Dr in India was honest to me. He told me "Though I advise against beard hair transplant due to the permanent nature of grafts and non feasibility to in some cases to shave in future, I would like to see your pictures and discuss further with you." then I sent him my picture, He replied " Sorry we do not do this type of hair transplant since discontent after procedure is very high. In some individuals I have seen (as much as 65%) that there are bumps after shaving and the shaved look is not smooth. Many have repented having a procedure done later in life". I talked to one of the top Drs in USA, He told me that the redness fade away after 10 days and after that no one will know about it. I am really confused. I want to have beard transplant so bad to fill in my patchiness.at the same time as you I do not want to have it forever, I just want to have my options open. I might just try to connect the goatee first to see how my face react. Sometimes I think beard transplant is not worth it.

Edited by Doubletree

I agree that this is a really good question. In our experience at Shapiro Medical with beard hair transplantation, we haven't noticed scarring in the recipient area. We have had number of patients whom we did beard hair transplant and they've all been happy with their results. I would like to add that to achieve desired density, it takes 2-3 procedures. Patients who have had the beard transplant don't generally shave their beard clean so it's hard to say if there is any pitting or abnormal healing but we haven't noticed any and we haven't ever received any complaints from our patients.