Should your second FUT be done with a new scar far away from the first scar?

There are some doc's who do this, they cut a brand new scar for the second FUT, instead of cutting around the first scar. What are the pros and cons? And can you get more donor grafts lifetime by cutting FUT strips around two separate scars?

Olmert,

It depends. Doctors usually extract the first scar with the second strip. This can result in less grafts, but also decreases the chances of a new scar stretching and ensures the new wound is in the correct place. Trying to take a strip above or below the old scar may place the new closure in an inappropriate place and cause significant stretching. The old scar tissue also only regains 80% of it's tissue strength, so trying to use this tissue to close the new strip wound may cause poor healing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You get more hair, better yield and generally a more robust hair transplant if you cut a brand new scar far away from the original. Furthermore, you have less complications. Patients can't complain that you screwed up their 'good scars'.

That said, it is the most vile and disgusting piece of professional decision making in the canon of the strip doctor...as if strip is not vile enough.

It is appalling to get one ear-to-ear strip scar if you are relying on medications and are bound to lose more hair.

To create a second or third scar is beyond dumb.

Luckily, I am smart enough to outwit the system, and I have four scars, so I win....yeah!!

The only way this could be justified is if the patient attempts to create a montage, say ten strip scars from the neck to the crown. That would look cool, and in ten, twenty or thirty years time, multiple strip scars, shaven down, may be a sign of something much bigger and better than we imagined.

Cutting a second FUT scar is what I call a red flag. Is it going to give you more yield? Sure. However, it is going to leave you with an additional scar. Doctors should be concerned with the longevity of a patient's look. Even the poor HT docs can make someone's hair look good for the initial few years. The doctor needs to factor in future hair loss and use a scientific estimate on what the patient will endure down the road. If the patient is prone to genetic hair loss and is still relatively young (45 or below) then cutting a second scar seems to be short sighted and possibly selfish of the doctor. With that said, every case is different and if an additional scar will get the results the patient needs for whatever time they have left then this may be the way to go.

Two FUT scars would not be ideal for the majority of cases out there though.

I value both FUT and FUE, however at our time when both techniques can be done with excellence to utilise full donor capacity, I do not accept doing separate FUT incisions at the back of the head. It is totally against donor area aesthetics while it is doubtful if it gives more hair than doing FUT from a single incision and doing FUE when we run out of skin laxity. The multiple incisions destroy future attempts to do FUE with effect. I also see selfishness in a surgeon doing separate FUT incisions as I feel he is trying to get the most grafts to both charge money and satisfy the patient with grafts, but doing harm to the patient in the long run.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD (Dr. K)

AEK Hair Institute

Istanbul, Turkey

...full donor capacity to pay for whatever BS we flog you balding dicks. What-a-loada-crap is just an expression and I wouldn't apply it here.

I value hair, and dignity. Unfortunately hair transplants and dignity are an awkward couple. How can I hide the fact?:mad:

But I agree again with Dr. K here...separate incisions are not good, so to is ONE incision. People now know what an HT scar looks like...just check Howard Stern Radio on youtube and hear them laughing (20 mil. audience) at scars, (including 'dot scars' = FUE scars from the 1990 - 2005 era) to realize what is up, or soon to be up.

That said, many women have seen my scars (strip - the FUE have never been questioned)) and not had a clue why I have them, but guys know and soon enough girls will too.

• Moderators

scar5, I have you beat easy. I have 7 or 8 scars going from ear to ear. Why is your name scar5 if you only have 4? Exaggerating a bit? :) Or was it in anticipation of doing another surgery to correct some of the old ones?

Olmert, No. You can't cover multiple scars. See my pictures below from 1998.

5b32e3a4e88cc_ALHair1998-right.jpg.e41c7221526b77e015a02ab8a2c81df5.jpg

5b32e3a505ff1_AlHair1998-left.jpg.6c3680049ac5f00dd5c26f347e52bc23.jpg

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Scar, can't you just grow your hair long enough so they can't pick out the scars?

I can, and I do, and I look decent - decently ugly, but decent.

I can even buzz quite close.

It is a case of which poison.

If I buzz close, I lose the illusion of density my weak HT gives to the face frame - (takes years off me), but I disguise the balding crown.

I have no donor, no time so I am cooked, as it were.

I look like a man my age, ironically, after all the BS. The lines have not come from a normal life of wife, kids and business pressure, but from years of wrestling with self-identity, poor self-image, desperate measures/ grasping at straws etc.

In terms of scars.

Two strip revisions one with trico, one without- different docs

SMP - three attempts, three providers

BHT - two docs

Gel inserted under the scars to flatten them out, twice

FUE into scars, twice, two different docs.

Gotta whole lotta mixed feelings about HT and the HT world, vanity and the need to look better, but I know the laws of nature and natural selection don't care about me for that, just as I don't care when i cast my sleazy eye over an attractive lady.

Now I just step up and into the mainstream, scars and all. Onwards..

Edited by scar5
funky font

scar5, I have you beat easy. I have 7 or 8 scars going from ear to ear. Why is your name scar5 if you only have 4? Exaggerating a bit? :) Or was it in anticipation of doing another surgery to correct some of the old ones?

OK Happy,

I gotta concede. You are the master. You make the Gods of Strip look down from heavens with pride. I gotta work on getting myself some more strip scars:confused:

i actually have a frontal scar to where I had a linear strip taken to remove the front which was impossibly dense compared to the barren interior.

It seems scar5 has extracted so much wisdom from this imperfect process that he is better off for having gone through it, and if he could go back in time, would be wise not to change a thing.

I remember a case of dr madhu years ago on here were he took two strips during the one procedure leaving two scars about a inch apart.

I dont want a single scar never mind two.

Dr madhu gave some explanation at the time but I wasn't buying it.

Whether he still does this or did after this particular case I don't know.

Have a good day