Dr. Jean Devroye: Managing Crown Hair Loss through Hair Transplant Surgery

Recently, Coalition hair transplant surgeon Dr. Jean Devroye of Brussels, Belgium authored an expert paper on important considerations when planning and carrying out surgical hair restoration on a balding crown. We've published his article on our Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

If you're interested in crown restoration or just want to learn more about how hair transplant surgeons plan and carry out crown transplants, we invite you to read Dr. Devroye's article.

Managing Crown Hair Loss through Hair Transplant Surgery

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I think virtually all patients are better off putting their finite donor grafts in the front of the hair.

It almost doesn't matter how bald the patient is. Even if he is only a Norwood 2 (in the front) with major vertex balding, he is still better off filling the front up to make that part a Norwood 1. No one cares what the top of your head looks like, and no one will see it unless they are an NBA player.

The vast majority of HT patients are much higher than a Norwood 2, and for them it is even a clearer no brainer not to waste grafts on the vortex.

I think virtually all patients are better off putting their finite donor grafts in the front of the hair.

It almost doesn't matter how bald the patient is. Even if he is only a Norwood 2 (in the front) with major vertex balding, he is still better off filling the front up to make that part a Norwood 1. No one cares what the top of your head looks like, and no one will see it unless they are an NBA player.

The vast majority of HT patients are much higher than a Norwood 2, and for them it is even a clearer no brainer not to waste grafts on the vortex.

I agree in principle. However, a good hairline with a clean, polished bald spot at the back still looks ridiculous.

even low density in the crown area is better than slick-bald.

I agree in principle. However, a good hairline with a clean, polished bald spot at the back still looks ridiculous.

even low density in the crown area is better than slick-bald.

I actually doubt that in nature someone can naturally be a norwood 1 in the front, while having a big bald spot in the vortex. So it might look crazy, and you might want to fill the vortex.

The problem is the vortex is huge, and will take so many grafts. I would really hesitate to fill it because you might bald in the front later in life, and then won't have grafts to fill it.

Almost no one considering a hair transplant has enough grafts to spend on the vortex. I'm surprised this doctor has put so much thought into it, when almost no one is a candidate for it.

I actually doubt that in nature someone can naturally be a norwood 1 in the front, while having a big bald spot in the vortex. So it might look crazy, and you might want to fill the vortex.

The problem is the vortex is huge, and will take so many grafts. I would really hesitate to fill it because you might bald in the front later in life, and then won't have grafts to fill it.

Almost no one considering a hair transplant has enough grafts to spend on the vortex. I'm surprised this doctor has put so much thought into it, when almost no one is a candidate for it.

Valid points. But with the use of beard and body hair to fill the vertex, one could have a full head of hair.

Unfortunately I'm one of those cases, where I have a good hairline but thin vertex. So my HT will be mostly in the vertex with some minor hairline work. I will use beard hair too, as I am not concerned about colour (salt & pepper already).

One doctor scared me off about the use of body/beard hair. He said body/beard hair have much longer resting period, and he implied this results in moving 10 scalp hairs giveing you about the same density as moving 100 body hairs. Is there a counter argument?

One doctor scared me off about the use of body/beard hair. He said body/beard hair have much longer resting period, and he implied this results in moving 10 scalp hairs giveing you about the same density as moving 100 body hairs. Is there a counter argument?

I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer, but my understanding is that beard hair is thicker than scalp hair can can provide good coverage if used in combination.

My estimate is to use 15% beard hair for my procedure. I'm apparently a vertex NW3 (but don't mind the high hairline, it has always been thus).