How long does it take for shampoos to start showing results?

Hey all! I guess this is a question in two parts. My brother and I have been trying a few of the most highly rated hair loss shampoos on Amazon, specifically in this order:

Phytoworx Organic Hair Loss Shampoo | With Plant Stem Cells for Hair Recovery and Regrowth, Pack of 1: Health & Personal Care

Nexxus Vitatress (along with their scalp creme, which I love):

Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Scalp Creme, 2.1 Ounce :

and Pura d'Or: Organic Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo (Gold Label), 16 Fluid Ounce: Beauty

We have minor MBP/the onset of it, and thought we'd give these a try. So:

Question #1: At first, we saw lots of baby hairs spring up - small, light, and fine. We thought, great, these should grow into more mature hairs, or at least indicate the start of it, and were encouraged. But after months of use with several different ones, that initial growth is all that seems to exist. Is it in fact an indication of things to come? Is it possible these products just give you a little baby boost and then stop dead cold?

Question #2: For those who have gotten good gains off of these (or similar products), how long should we give each one to test? We're currently doing 3 months each, but I don't know if it's sufficient.

Thanks all!

Oh, and as far as "you should use these products instead", I'm open to suggestions but would really prefer answers to the above. We have our reasons for not jumping into other things quite yet.

Thanks again!

Edited by Admin
Promotional links removed

The results for these products are actually immediate. Your funds are directly transferred to the bank account of the seller, thus you become instantly poorer and they are now richer. Anything beyond that is pure serendipity!

lol :D

The better shampoos like Nizoral will contain Ketoconazole and these have been shown to have mild benefits in terms of hair loss. When I say "mild" I mean the actual hair loss benefit is probably imperceivable... you may attribute the immediate positive results of conditioning and cleaning your hair as combatting hair loss, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're preventing hairloss or regrowing hair. Don't get me wrong though, using a shampoo that makes your hair look better or appear thicker is great. Just don't be fooled.

At a glance I'm not sure if any of the ones you listed are legitimately effective, but I would be willing to guess... no. One of them is titled "with plant stem cells"? I would definitely not buy that one. Ever.

So here's a question, honestly:

What do you attribute the massive number of positive reviews to if people don't have success with them? Before you jump to an answer:

1. Fake reviews? You can screen for those fairly easily on Amazon by ruling out products whose reviewers have only reviewed a handful of products, usually from the same mfr. In the case of the products above, there are hundreds or thousands of positive reviews with very little if any suspicious review activity.

2. Placebo effect? Why then would it hold for some products for so many people, while there are hundreds of hair loss products on there with no such positive feedback? Could it be that all 500-1,000 users are all on the same placebo kick, whereas all customers for less successful products don't suffer from it?

3. Misperception of results? Sort of the same answer as #2. If hundreds or thousands are all self-deluding into seeing results that aren't there, why doesn't it occur for the scores of products with bad reviews?

Not trying to pick fights here, just wondering how you can dismiss such a broad experience base on such a trusted marketplace. You want to tell me all those people are paid or placeboing or blind to their own results?

Hey Big Brother, love your work on the show!

The guys are right, there really is no answer to HL pulley with a Shampoo especially the one you are claiming to use. That said, if you see results or feel better, then great. I will be honest that it is Highly unlikely this will perform as said through marketing hype etc. I'd stick to the classics with the big 3 mate.

Best of luck :)

Mike

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

PS: The Shampoo may have a volumising effect and smaller thinner or "peach fuzz" hairs may lift gradually. I found this many a time using thin to thick shampoos etc, thinking it was new growth.

Always gotta take the logics.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Shampoos and conditioners don't penetrate skin, reach follicle and allow it to receive more blood in order to be healthier and produce better hair. So find a shampoo that gives your hair more volume...and you don't have to spend much money on them. In order to improve follicle health, you May consider propecia, minoxidil and/or laser hair. These are FdA approved to help with hair therapy.

What do you attribute the massive number of positive reviews to if people don't have success with them?

Multiple reasons why I wouldn't give much credit to the Amazon reviews,

1) Most shampoos will indeed make your hair look nicer/thicker, but that isn't the same as preventing hair loss so I imagine there is a lot of confusion there.

2) Placebo effect is especially easy to apply here when the appearance of your hair does indeed change for the better.

3) People claiming quick or immediate hairloss results are mistaken considering that is... impossible.

4) With even the most effective hair loss medications (i.e. Fin), the results after years of usage tend to be subtle and extremely gradual. A lot of the time people taking Fin are unable to notice or appreciate any kind of improvement. But the catch is the hairloss has been slowed or haulted.

5) Based on research I've done on the subject I suspect there are no credible studies showing any significant hairloss prevention from any of those shampoos. You might want to check for yourself first if you're interested in buying.

PS: The Shampoo may have a volumising effect and smaller thinner or "peach fuzz" hairs may lift gradually. I found this many a time using thin to thick shampoos etc, thinking it was new growth.

Always gotta take the logics.

That's a very interesting point. Thanks!!

Multiple reasons why I wouldn't give much credit to the Amazon reviews,

1) Most shampoos will indeed make your hair look nicer/thicker, but that isn't the same as preventing hair loss so I imagine there is a lot of confusion there.

2) Placebo effect is especially easy to apply here when the appearance of your hair does indeed change for the better.

3) People claiming quick or immediate hairloss results are mistaken considering that is... impossible.

4) With even the most effective hair loss medications (i.e. Fin), the results after years of usage tend to be subtle and extremely gradual. A lot of the time people taking Fin are unable to notice or appreciate any kind of improvement. But the catch is the hairloss has been slowed or haulted.

5) Based on research I've done on the subject I suspect there are no credible studies showing any significant hairloss prevention from any of those shampoos. You might want to check for yourself first if you're interested in buying.

Good points. Thanks!

The positive placebo effect is directionally proportional to the amount of money spent on the product. How else can one explain how a billion dollar industry based on fraud continues to flourish?

Does not explain the vast disparity in review averages for products claiming to do the exact same thing.

Logically, general placebo phenomena would lead to an evening out of almost all reviews across all such products- not huge spikes for a select few.

Edited by BigBrother

Does not explain the vast disparity in review averages for products claiming to do the exact same thing.

Logically, general placebo phenomena would lead to an evening out of almost all reviews across all such products- not huge spikes for a select few.

Even if none of them do anything at all for hairloss, they still have different effects on hair appearance... some better than others. They're also priced and advertised differently.