Dr Niedbalski in Washington - horrible results - stay away

Realmity

I found this site about a year ago and I'm ready to tell my story. I am very appreciative for what I have learned about hair transplants on this site. Geat stuff.

I am 25 years old from Vancouver, Washington, and went to medical hair restoration 5 years ago. I talked with Dr Niedbalski and he talked me into a hair transplant. At the time, I had just turned 20 years old. I had severe thinning of the hair at that time. I was using minoxidil. He transplanted around 2200 grafts from my hairline to the top of my head.

Now I am left with a gigantic scar in the back of my head, I am now thinner then ever, and the transplants, in my opinion, failed - very poor hair growth. I have thin hair so any that are there are just like wispy things on the top of my head that are doing nothing. I am now using topik everyday to help fill in the spots and hide the scar.

Why is Niedbalski terrible - now that I've been reading stories on this site, it is clear that most humane and sensible doctors would not touch a 20 year old with a 10 foot pole. Did they ever tell me to go on Propicia. NO. Also, he spread the hairs out so much that they are doing nothing for any density. Lastly, I called the MHR office last week to figure out what to do next (like I want him to fix my freaking scar) and he is now gone. So I talked to their patient person and he sounds like a complete moron. I don't trust them. They have a new physician who just started. I did some research and he is an emergency room doctor who decided to do hair transplants in Seattle - did the MHR fellowship and now does hair. Dr fallon is his name and I 'm scared to go to him to fix the scar.

I am now contacting other physicians to figure out what to do - I will certainly do my due diligence. The bottom line is that Dr Niedbalski did my surgery ($$) and has screwed up my life and for the last 5 years I've suffered because he sucks. Yes, I talked to a consultant initially who also recommended surgery - and I talked to him prior to surgery who recommended surgery - that is why he is 100% responsible for the work he did. While he worked for MHR (they get the worst of the worst) I hold him responsible because he is the one who ultimatly did the hair transplant. Why would he operate on a 20 year old with advanced hair loss? $$ is the answer, ethics - no. I'm a little more savvy now from reading stuff here. Why did he not tell me to wait, put me on propicia, and see what happens. I worry about other people who may now go to him as he is on his own. That is why I tell my story.

My advice: stay away from Niedbalski - he is unethical and gets poor results.

Hi Realmity,

Thanks for sharing your story. It takes guts to do so and I'm glad you did. It can be a warning to others. HT operations are no joke and I'm really sorry for what you've gone through.

Even more cruel, is that one of the best clinics in the world (Hasson & Wong) is in your own neighborhood. From what I've heard, Seattle has no reputable HT doctors. I just had a HT in Vancouver w/ H&W and had a great experience. I would recommend you stop in and talk to them to see if they can fix you up. I'm betting they can.

Take care,

hair_me_out

PS. Do you have any before/after photos you can share?

• 1 year later...

My experience with Dr. Niedbalski has been very positive. My husband and I have found him to be kind, honest about options and expectations, and highly skilled. I have talked with and met several of his transplant patients and the results I am seeing are very good. My hair is thinning so I have undergone ACell therapy with him, and my husband is planning on having hair restoration surgery with Dr. Niedbalski within the next year.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
I found this site about a year ago and I'm ready to tell my story. I am very appreciative for what I have learned about hair transplants on this site. Geat stuff.

I am 25 years old from Vancouver, Washington, and went to medical hair restoration 5 years ago. I talked with Dr Niedbalski and he talked me into a hair transplant. At the time, I had just turned 20 years old. I had severe thinning of the hair at that time. I was using minoxidil. He transplanted around 2200 grafts from my hairline to the top of my head.

Now I am left with a gigantic scar in the back of my head, I am now thinner then ever, and the transplants, in my opinion, failed - very poor hair growth. I have thin hair so any that are there are just like wispy things on the top of my head that are doing nothing. I am now using topik everyday to help fill in the spots and hide the scar.

Why is Niedbalski terrible - now that I've been reading stories on this site, it is clear that most humane and sensible doctors would not touch a 20 year old with a 10 foot pole. Did they ever tell me to go on Propicia. NO. Also, he spread the hairs out so much that they are doing nothing for any density. Lastly, I called the MHR office last week to figure out what to do next (like I want him to fix my freaking scar) and he is now gone. So I talked to their patient person and he sounds like a complete moron. I don't trust them. They have a new physician who just started. I did some research and he is an emergency room doctor who decided to do hair transplants in Seattle - did the MHR fellowship and now does hair. Dr fallon is his name and I 'm scared to go to him to fix the scar.

I am now contacting other physicians to figure out what to do - I will certainly do my due diligence. The bottom line is that Dr Niedbalski did my surgery ($$) and has screwed up my life and for the last 5 years I've suffered because he sucks. Yes, I talked to a consultant initially who also recommended surgery - and I talked to him prior to surgery who recommended surgery - that is why he is 100% responsible for the work he did. While he worked for MHR (they get the worst of the worst) I hold him responsible because he is the one who ultimatly did the hair transplant. Why would he operate on a 20 year old with advanced hair loss? $$ is the answer, ethics - no. I'm a little more savvy now from reading stuff here. Why did he not tell me to wait, put me on propicia, and see what happens. I worry about other people who may now go to him as he is on his own. That is why I tell my story.

My advice: stay away from Niedbalski - he is unethical and gets poor results.

I read random negative reviews (with positives for the same doctor) and don't know what to think without both sides of the story. There's not a wide enough sampling to tell what's really going on. The Internet tends to draw negative experiences that inspire reviews, rather than good experiences taken for granted.

Yours is also the only mention of Dr. Fallon on this site, whom I happen to be considering. Were you only put off by his newness or something else? He now has his own practice near Portland. It might be too late for you to see this reply but thanks for any details.

Do yourself a favor read about the 1 million things that can wrong with hair transplants. Understand scar is forever and you'll never be able to cut your hair short to have cool bald haircut. No matter what drugs your on you'll keep losing your hair requiring need for more surgery and more chance you'll need more surgery exponentially increasing risk each time. Don't get a transplant from anyyone. Drs here post the good results the bad ones are misc posts and people hiding from mistake rest of their lives.

Yes you may have a good transplant with acceptable scar but likelihood you'll regret it immediately or over time is much greater.

Dont do this. Shave your head get a tan work out or get a hairpiece...they actually look real good.

Not responding to anyones BS response. Truth is above. Make a good decision stay away.

Do yourself a favor read about the 1 million things that can wrong with hair transplants. Understand scar is forever and you'll never be able to cut your hair short to have cool bald haircut. No matter what drugs your on you'll keep losing your hair requiring need for more surgery and more chance you'll need more surgery exponentially increasing risk each time. Don't get a transplant from anyyone. Drs here post the good results the bad ones are misc posts and people hiding from mistake rest of their lives.

Yes you may have a good transplant with acceptable scar but likelihood you'll regret it immediately or over time is much greater.

Dont do this. Shave your head get a tan work out or get a hairpiece...they actually look real good.

Not responding to anyones BS response. Truth is above. Make a good decision stay away.

I get your angst over the whole concept, though in my case it's just the upper forehead and (if my father is a good indicator) I may never reach the point where I'd need/want to shave my head. I am definitely not diving into any procedure after reading a lot of regret rants. This isn't something to do on a wave of positive hype, like falling for an expensive car sales pitch.

My experience with Dr. Niedbalski has been very positive. My husband and I have found him to be kind, honest about options and expectations, and highly skilled. I have talked with and met several of his transplant patients and the results I am seeing are very good. My hair is thinning so I have undergone ACell therapy with him, and my husband is planning on having hair restoration surgery with Dr. Niedbalski within the next year.

Prove it.

I had a transplant with Dr. Niedbalski three years ago that was very successful, but I had minimal loss and also understanding that I'm something of an exception for his work. I was not on Propecia at the time and he did not recommend that I start it, which I think is just atrocious of a doctor operating on a young patient.

There are options for dealing with your scar. Do a ton of research on this forum and you'll find good resources. You can do some FUE into the scar combined with SMP and that'll go a long way toward covering up the scar. If you think you might need another procedure to cover up or repair some of the damage from Niedbalski's work, there are great options for that too. Don't despair.

Prove it.

Ha ha. 1 shill post from 5 years ago Sparky ~ that person is probably hawking cellulite pills now...:P

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

It doesn't matter how many people come out of the woodwork to say the doc performed miracles on them, it doesn't change the fact that he went gungho HT on a 20 year old purely for commercial reasons it seems, and with a blatant disregard for his patient's future well-being, Shocking behavior but so true of many HT Centers in the West chasing a quick buck!

Guys, especially you young uns, please do your homework before rushing in or being talked into something you feel is not right.

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

It doesn't matter how many people come out of the woodwork to say the doc performed miracles on them, it doesn't change the fact that he went gungho HT on a 20 year old purely for commercial reasons it seems, and with a blatant disregard for his patient's future well-being, Shocking behavior but so true of many HT Centers in the West chasing a quick buck!

Guys, especially you young uns, please do your homework before rushing in or being talked into something you feel is not right.

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Yup. What really appalled me about this doc is that for patients in their 20s (both this poster and myself) is that he didn't recommend that they get on finasteride before having a procedure. That's just hair restoration 101. I consulted with him, and he booked me for surgery THE NEXT WEEK. Luckily I did my research quickly and insisted that he prescribe me, but I did all the legwork. It's just luck of the draw that my transplant turned out well. The scar, for what it's worth, is relatively long for my 1,450 graft procedure, and the width is okay-but-not-great.

• 5 months later...

I'm strongly considering Dr. Robert Niedbalski for a hair transplant next year. I've spoken to him a few times now and he's always been patient with me even though I sometimes ask the same questions over and over again. He seems really articulate and knowledgeable. He has 25+ years of experience and is chairman of the ISHRS and he facilitates workshops as well. The only thing that I'm vary of is the fact even with 25+ years of experience, there isn't many reviews about him at all? Why is that??? Has anyone had a transplant with him before?? I would love to hear about your experiences with him.

I'm strongly considering Dr. Robert Niedbalski for a hair transplant next year. I've spoken to him a few times now and he's always been patient with me even though I sometimes ask the same questions over and over again. He seems really articulate and knowledgeable. He has 25+ years of experience and is chairman of the ISHRS and he facilitates workshops as well. The only thing that I'm vary of is the fact even with 25+ years of experience, there isn't many reviews about him at all? Why is that??? Has anyone had a transplant with him before?? I would love to hear about your experiences with him.

Dr. Niedbalski did my transplant three years ago, and it turned out well. It's true that he is patient and response, and that he has been doing hair restoration for a long time. (He is not chairman of the ISHRS--he's a member of a subcommittee.) The truth is that the reason there are not many reviews of him on the various forums is that none of the hair transplant consumer groups--including HRN--recommend him. I won't disparage him because he did a very nice job on me, but his results have been extremely inconsistent. I've talked to other doctors/patient reps (who shall remain nameless) who have had to repair his work many times.

The bottom line is that even experience and the best of intentions are no replacement for raw skill. There are plenty of docs that have been doing this for decades put still post only poor or marginal results. I assume that you're in the Seattle area if you're considering Dr. Niedbalski--if that's the case, I very, very strongly encourage you to consult with Hasson & Wong in Vancouver or Steve Gabel in Portland. I've met Dr. Hasson and Dr. Gabel, and both are outstanding surgeons and highly ethical guys. Portland and Vancouver are very easy drives from Seattle, and driving a day or two after a transplant is no big deal, especially when it's only a few hours. I flew home from my second transplant and driving would have been much easier.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the tip Win200. I don't disagree with you but, I find it hard to believe that someone that has that many years of experience averaging 200 transplants a year cannot develop those skills over time. Especially when he's a program director for the ISHRS Fellowship training program. He's also published articles and has numerous accolades. Everything points to a favorable outcome other than the fact that most patients (the few that there are) consider him mediocre. BTW his website www.hairreplacementsurgeon.com says he's committee member and current chairman.

Thanks for the tip Win200 I will definitely check them out. I don't disagree with you but, I find it hard to believe that someone that has that many years of experience averaging 200 transplants a year cannot develop those skills over time. Especially when he's a program director for the ISHRS Fellowship training program. He's also published articles and has numerous accolades. Everything points to a favorable outcome other than the fact that most patients (the few that there are) consider him mediocre.

BTW his website www.hairreplacementsurgeon.com says he's committee member and current chairman.

Get out of your own way. If you are ready to proceed and feel comfortable with the costs of surgery there's no reason to do what you're doing right now. If you don't want to travel far, go to Gabel or Hasson.

I don't want to get into a big back-and-forth about surgical skill, but please just remember that what matters isn't a resume or credentials, but the result that ends up attached to your scalp. There are lots of surgeons who have been doing this for a long time that have still never risen above producing mediocre outcomes. If Niedbalski was a consistently outstanding surgeon, he would be a member of the consumer advocate hair restoration organizations. You should never undergo cosmetic surgery without consulting with at least a few doctors, so you should talk to Hasson & Wong and Gabel no matter what.