Had my transplant with Dr. Meshkin yesterday 1800 grafts

CaptainO

SO after 1.5 years of debating, I finally took the plunge yesterday. I had 3 consultations over a 1.5 years period. He and his staff were very friendly. I initially needed about 1200 grafts, but during that time I stopped taking propecia and my loss increased dramatically. However, most of the loss has stopped and its just a few here and there. I think the effects of propecia have finally worn off as I have regained most of my sexual drive(thank god). So I figured it was time. My main worry was that the propecia was still masking some of the hair loss, but I figured it was complete since I started noticing only a few hairs in my hands when taking a shower. 1 year ago I would notice 50 hairs in my hand.

This whole week it was surreal, I couldnt beleive I was actally going thru with it. However, what was nice was I pretty much accepted what had happened to my hair and figured the transplant would only keep it the same if not improve it. Life is a chance in anything.

I started taking the medication 3 days prior as instructed and noticed very light dizziness/upset stomach. Really not a big deal.

I went into the Dr's office that morning and his staff couldnt have been nicer. Very friendly, not pushy not all.

I sat down on the chair and some standard stuff was done, photos, video of me verbal stating I desired the surgery, etc. All of this I considered very normal and acceptable.

I then was hooked up to an IV, the doctor was very smooth with it, barely felt a pinch. Practice makes perfect I guess. He's been at this for 20 years and it shows.

After the IV the front crown area was shaven down a little to help him planting the units. I was then turned around where he buzz cut the donor area. I was then layed down face first on the massage chair type of chair. They gave my the local anasthesia shots, very slight pinches. Not bad at all. I thought it would be worse.

Very soon after that he started the incisions. I was very surprised how soon after the shots he began the incisions, but I could not feel a thing. And I'm as wimpy as they come. I could hear what was going on, but not feel it. Which was fine by me. I began to get drowsy as the medication started to sink in. Once he sutured me up, I was turned over where they began putting in the units. At this time I fell asleep. I was soooo happy that I did. I don't know if it was because of the drugs or I was just sleepy but either way, I fell asleep and awoke when they were finished. No pain at all when I woke up. I was feeling very woozy getting up so I know it was the drugs that put me out. Soon after it was done I was taped up and off I went. To be honest it wasn't much more than that. I wish I could write that it was this big ordeal, but it wasn't. Maybe I got lucky. I have a very good feeling that the results will be terrific. I highly recommend the Dr. thus far based on the surgery itself. The results will take 12-18 months to see. If you do a search, you will see my before pictures on here. I will post some after pictures in a few months.

• 7 months later...

Wow, my procedure sure wasn't anything like that. Why an IV? And why did they have to shave the donor area? I will be interested in hearing an update over the next few days.

I'm curious if the IV eliminated the need for the shots, and in doing so maybe no swelling?

• 7 months later...

Sorry it took so long, but here are my results 14 months post op. I've suffered more loss from my hairline to mid area, so I am now planning another session with dr meshkin. Any suggestions on graft amounts? My initial procedure was 1800 grafts in the front to mid area. I am thinking of adding 2500 in the second procedure to mainly the front.

2 pictures of pre-op, 2 post op taken yesterday.

hair.jpg.225b6426e28e9642fbfce472e76d99f5.jpg

hair2.jpg.f46932b8d4056891f1b76e1f94f8f3d8.jpg

pre-op.jpg.ff604ba1caa3de96e7ca237fd6a31ab6.jpg

pre-op3.jpg.61dc3735e001ce5c19f55e66dce0b215.jpg

Captain,

Did you mean to state that the first two are 'post-op' and the last two are 'pre-op.' When I click on the images, the last two are labeled as pre-operative, and based on the level of hair loss, this makes me sense to me? Would you clarify for us before members offer advice on how to proceed from here? Thanks!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Sorry about the confusion. The two on the left are post op, the two on the right are pre-op. Post op is April 2010, the pre op is Nov 09. The hair that you see in the front of my head in the two pre op photos on the right is pretty much all gone. I know this because when my transplanted hair grew out, I had a good amount of thickness. It has since thinned out. I am very glad I had that first procedure when I did because had I not, I would be going from totally bald in the front to medium thickness which is very noticable. The way this scenario worked out in real life is such that no one really noticed anything.

I'd really like to enjoy my summer so my plans are to wait until the end of August for the 2nd procedure. Does anyone think that 2500 grafts in the front to mid section is too much/low? I really don't want to revisit this frontal area again.