caffeine, graft survival and shedding/growth

I'm about my 9th week post op, going through the ugly duckling stage where all the hair transplanted have gone on shedding.

I remember that i started drinking some beer and coke about 4-5 days after the procedure (and i've been out of it about 4 days before of it). Do you think is enough time? I haven't seen any bleeding after the surgery and my grafts started to shed only after 15 days, and specially after a month.

This bigger amount of shedding (4-8 weeks after) coincide with a time where I started to drink quite amount of coffee (let's say 2-3 little cups per day) but not alcohol.

Now I'm moderating caffeine because I'm scared of being contributing to a poor rate of future growth.

Can caffeine a month after surgery ruin growth or accelerate shedding?

Thanks for your opinion Londo81.

I'm probably freaking out but you know it can be hard go throw all the shedding and wait for the growth. The thing is latetly I've had some stress because of a new job and I'm rather sensitive to caffeine but i needed it . Then you go to the internet and read all kind of things about coffee, alcohol related with HT.

I hope you're right here.

Thanks KO

I had heard of this studio once I started to read about this topic, some weeks ago. Then I read some doctor opinion suggesting that too much caffeine can lead to a poor growth in the post op period and I thought maybe I started too soon with caffeine and beers (5 days).

It really helps to come here and receive some support and advices to remember that I have to keep calm and have pacience. Thanks

Yeah I know what it's like, I'm 3.5 months post op at the moment but thinking ' will my hair not grow because I had a coffee 4 weeks post op' is crazy! There's little you can do after a few days post op that's going to affect the outcome and drinking coffee will have nothing to do with your outcome. I've stopped reading some of this BS on the internet as it can make you go crazy! Any genuine concerns ask your HT surgeon. You really need to chill dude.

Make sure you post pics of that hairline when it's all grown out and awesome! lol :-) ( btw caffeine actually increases growth if anything! well, it's claimed to! ) Alpecin and all that. It's like with anything on the internet though, if you research enough you'll find an answer... if I searched that the earth is actually made of chocolate I'm sure there will be a study somewhere backing it up....

Exactly what London81 said: If anything, there are reports showing that caffeine can actually help the growth of your hair. But the primary point is that after about 5 days post op, there isn't really much you can do to damage those grafts. So take a breather and let it run its course. The only thing for certain that isn't helping your growth is your stress level - so let's keep it cool, calm, and collected with a smile on your face.... I mean, you do have a new hairline waiting on you right around the corner. That's something to smile about. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56