Yomommyz

Yomommyz,

My hair loss was about as aggressive as it gets. One day in the shower, my hands were full of scalp hair. It went on like that for about 7 years before Propecia became available and my pattern was certainly visible by everyone and my hair was going fast. I wish I had known about Proscar then as I would have jumped on that in 1992 instead of having to wait until Propecia came on the scene in 1999.

Anyway, I started Propecia within weeks after it received FDA approval; probably about January 15, 1999 give or take a few days. It worked wonders for several years as I actually grew hair back. So much so that some people thought I had a transplant. However, the benefits started to wane after about 5-7 years but I did have a transplant or two to keep up with my loses.

Almost all of these years, I have used Propecia/Proscar and even tried Dutasteride for about 8 months (bad stuff in my opinion). I few months back, I quit meds, including once a day/night Rogaine Foam when I dedided to try PRP. I stopped the meds cold turkey and began to shed in quite a dramatic fashion. So I got back on meds and will more slowly try to wean my way off of them and go from there.

If you're considering meds, I wouldn't wait any longer. There are some posters who will say that Propecia's side effects are not worth the risk and I would never challenge their position. I too have side effects from the medication but I have decided that I am willing to deal with the side effects as opposed to having a lot less hair but that is MY decision based on my own research and drawing my own conclusions. You should do the same. I am of the opinion that Propecia is worth the risk so take from it what you will. Good luck in your endeavor in maiking the right decision for you!