Who should I go to for FUT, Madhu or Radha?

rsn

When I spoke to Madhu's office, I got the impression a whole team of doctors split up the work and do more than one person per day. They said Madhu's wife and at least one other doctor does some of it. They said Madhu does the important parts.

Dr. Radha Palakurthi does everything on her own. It is a small office. She has done fewer surgeries than Madhu, but a lot of her before and after pics look good.

rsn,

i'm Madhu's patient and what olmert has said is true. But Madhu does the important steps in the procedure like removal of scalp and he will be coming to visit you often while the implanting is going on.

I dont know about Radha, but so far my experience with MADHU is good and you can find my review and pics in the below two threads. Hope you choose the one whom you are comfortable with.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/176647-2010-grafts-dr-pathuri-madhu.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177406-3-month-update-dr-madhu-2010-grafts.html

Cheers!

Here is the problem. I've heard good reviews about Radha too. So I wouldn't know who to pick, if choosing between the two. I have no idea if there is a particular set of facts that would be specific to a patient that would influence the choice.

if my 6 months results doesn't convince you about Dr. Radha over Madhu, then nothing would.

Surprisingly Radha, even though she is a relatively new doctor and much newer than Madhu, charges more. She charges $1 per FUT graft, while Madhu charges 50 Indian ruppees or about 77 cents a graft. My surgery would cost about $600 more with Radha.

If there were substantial evidence Radha was better I would go with her. But I have heard good things about both, so I don't know what to do, and am starting to figure that without any other data point to go by, I might as well go with the cheaper one.

I know with Western doctors $600 would be considered chump change, but without any other good data point, it has to count as something.

I think Madhu just has a cheaper set up, with more tech's and assistant doc's, so he can do a lot more surgeries and keep the price low.

save up and go to a top rated doctor. the rest of ur life depends of it....

I've already had one FUT with a cheap doc who is recommended here. It looks good to me, so I am not convinced the expensive docs recommended here are worth the extra money.

its a roll of the dice but you like many others will make the mistake of not wanting to wait and save cause ur impatient vs. saving up and going to a top doctor.

just because the doctor is recommend here doesn't mean ur shud use him or her. do ur own homework. there are quite a few doctors recommended here that I wudnt let touch me with a 10 foot pole!

why are u going down the FUT path again. save ur money and go with a top rated FUE doctor. how many times do u think ur gonna be able to open up ur scalp without risking a poorly healed scar that will require an FUE doctor to repair it. its ur money and ur head so GL.

and u keep using the term cheap doctor. well, u usually get wat u pay for.

Its not at all helpful to be undermining creditability of non "top" ht doc based on their fees. Is it because they charge top $$ and based in USA and Europe that makes them top? Who are these top docs you refer to? There many great HT doc in FUT and FUE that charge local prices ie India and Turkey come to mind.

Your bias against FUT is epic and will say much of it is opinion rather than a balanced healthy regard for facts. FUT has its place in HT plan and in some cases the best choice over FUE. But you would never ever acknowledge that right.

To rebute you, I do regard FUE as a very good option too. One that I will do when or if the time comes.

Olmert.. I think you wont find many better than Radha. She is in the theatre hands on from start to finish. $1 pwr graft for 100% undivided care is beyond anything you'd find. Madhu is fine if you dont mind what you stated about him doing several procedures on the same day.

save up and go to a top rated doctor. the rest of ur life depends of it....

BUSA,

Of course you're entitled to your own opinions. But, it seems that I've read a number of disparaging comments like this from you recently aimed at some of the physicians recommended by the Hair Transplant Network. The fact is, if a surgeon has met our recommendation criteria, they are top rated.

I'm sorry to see that you hold such little regard for the foundation that this community was built upon.

Both Dr. Madhu and Dr. Radha regularly produce excellent results. No physician, even those that are rumored to have magical hair growth powers, are so good that they have no cases of subpar growth in their body of work. However, you can count on the doctors recommended here having highly consistent results and patient care second to none.

Having said that, I agree with not making cost the main factor in your decision making.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

The thing is I don't really know enough to be able to look at before and after pics and say definitively that one job was better than another. I've seen a lot of results that look pretty much the same to me.

I wish there were someone here who is like a hobbiest at this and has a firm opinion that Madhu is better than Radha or the opposite. Of course, someone like that probably would not post to express his preference because he won't want to make an enemy of the other doc. Maybe he could just email me. I wouldn't tell anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Flew from Australia in 2010 to have surgery with Dr Madhu to have my second surgery (first in Australia) My growth was negligible. I saw Dr Martinick clinic in Western Australia and they said the nurses or standards are still not high enough compared to other countries. Consider all options before committing a procedure in India. My result was a waste of time and money. He also did a second scar and my donor area is vastly reduced for a third procedure.

• 1 month later...
I am limiting myself to the cheap docs. So which one should I go to?

Why don't you consider FUE, It leaves very few scars and has a faster recovery time. I personally had my HT done by Dr. Bhatti and i must say it was very comfortable. Somehow the idea of having a chunk of flesh carves fron my skull doesn't seem appealing to me. If cost is your concern, Dr Bhatti charges just 88rs/graft. His clinic is also state of the art and modern.

Bhatti's FUE is so cheap that it takes price out as a factor in the FUE/FUT debate. But the poster's goal is to maximize the total number of grafts. And even Scar, the biggest proponent of FUE says you will get more total grafts by first doing a few FUT's before doing FUE. Personally, I have not heard any reasoning why this would be true.

There is the reasonable argument that doing a second FUE is hard because of the previous scarring, but I don't see why you couldn't do a one procedure FUE to take every last graft out of you. Bhatti does 6K FUE's. Or alternatively, if you were to do two FUE's, I don't see why you couldn't tell them to do the left side on the first FUE, and then the right side on the second one.

But I am perplexed why even Scar thinks you can get more total grafts by starting out with FUT.

Bhatti's FUE is so cheap that it takes price out as a factor in the FUE/FUT debate. But the poster's goal is to maximize the total number of grafts. And even Scar, the biggest proponent of FUE says you will get more total grafts by first doing a few FUT's before doing FUE. Personally, I have not heard any reasoning why this would be true.

There is the reasonable argument that doing a second FUE is hard because of the previous scarring, but I don't see why you couldn't do a one procedure FUE to take every last graft out of you. Bhatti does 6K FUE's. Or alternatively, if you were to do two FUE's, I don't see why you couldn't tell them to do the left side on the first FUE, and then the right side on the second one.

But I am perplexed why even Scar thinks you can get more total grafts by starting out with FUT.

Part of this has to do with the misconceptions of FUT, somehow people think that FUT is far superior to FUE, in reality, FUE in the hands of a skilled doctor is at par or sometimes even better than FUT (considering the lack of a linear scar). In my case, i have very little scarring, the donor area healed in 3 days. (i can show you HD pics of my donor area if you want, the diff is undetected). I couldn't say the same thing if i had an FUT. Having said this, i agree with "Olmert" that doing a single mega session to extract the max number of grafts is a wise move.

LazyPirate, there was no need to look and see that your join date is within the past two weeks. Your posts make clear that as far as knowledge of HT goes, you are a newbie. Any veteran like me is aware that there are educated minds on both sides of the FUT/FUE debate. Anyone, such as you, claiming that that the debate is closed and settled is simply uninformed.

This does not necessarily mean you made a mistake in getting FUE by Bhatti, though even among the most hard core FUE advocates there is a consensus that only the absolute top FUE doc's get a yield as high as FUT, and that Bhatti is not generally regarded as being in this elite physician class. If you did make the right decision, it happened by luck rather than through a studied analysis.

Well just going by graft numbers I would have to say fut.

H&W had a patient who had 11.000 in one procedure if my memory serves me correctly and the patient has the chance of at least one more fut then he could go for a fue or two.

20.000 is not a unrealistic number he could achieve.

Granted these numbers will be a rarity and he would be a high yeilder if he had just gone fue.

I've seen a Lorenzo case of 11000 with fue over several ops but the patients donor was exhausted.

The gap between the two techniques has narrowed massively but I think its still fut by a whisker.

I do not want to play the fut scar lottery so for me its fue all day but each to their own.

Have a good day

Olmert,

I don't give a shit about your veteran status, My join date on ht network has nothing to do with my knowledge of hair transplants If you believe that's the case, you're an idiot. If you actually took the time to read my post instead of rubbing your veteran status in my face, you'll understand that i simply stated that there is a lot of confusion regarding FUT and the yield it produces. And when did i close the debate and settle it ? I just gave my opinion.Of all people, I agree that there are educated minds on both sides, both techniques have their flaws and strengths.

I've been researching about hair transplants since 2008, I've studied thousands of cases of FUT and FUE and made my decision based on that. I didn't get lucky dipshit. If i did go to Dr. Bhatti, it's coz i made a well thought out decision based on my 6 years of research, budget, and the consistent results produced by the doctor.I certainly don't need a "veteran" douche bag like you to analyse it for me.

Oh and btw, how does one become an elite physician in his class ? Is it by approval from like minded veterans like yourself ? Please, educate me, I'm a newbie remember ? Pour out your veteran wisdom to poor noobs like us who have no clue and rely rather on luck to get things done.

I'm assuming you're not from India and part of your reasoning to say Dr. Bhatti is not elite is coz of the price. Let me tell you this, Dr Bhatt's prices are not cheap for me, they are expensive. I had to save up for a while just to get this procedure done. Sure it may be cheap compared to clinics in the US, UK, Turkey etc coz the cost of living in these countries is significantly higher than India. But of course a veteran hard core member like you knew all that right ? Oh Please give me a break !!

Edited by lazypirate316

how does one become an elite physician in his class ? Is it by approval from like minded veterans like yourself ? . . .

I'm assuming you're not from India and part of your reasoning to say Dr. Bhatti is not elite is coz of the price.

Yes on both. A consensus of veterans like me who have looked at a lot of pics and heard a lot of stories is what puts a doctor in the elite class.

Now there is no per se requirement that an elite doctor be expensive, but the laws of economics will make it end up that way. It does not matter how cheap a country an elite doctor comes from. He will charge the most he can get away with. And an elite doctor will charge a lot because his elite reputation gets him business anyway. Therefore, there is one elite doctor in Brazil and one in Thailand. They charge as much as a western doctor even though their expenses are cheaper. That being said, the Indian and (one) Pakistani doctors are so much cheaper than the rest of the world, that if you aren't a millionaire, it may be your optimal choice to go to them. They are not so much inferior as to justify paying more for others doctors who are not so much better. There are definitely people in tax brackets that make choosing Indian doctors the best course. At the same time, if you are a billionaire, you should not go to Bhatti.

It is common for veterans to bark if you bring up cost as a factor. This is because veterans are hobbyists. You will never find a car aficionado recommending a chevy, instead of a trans am, even though a chevy might be the optimal choice because of price. The hobbyists act as if the cheap doctors charge $20, while the expensive ones charge $500, and therefore even for the poorest person, price should not be a factor. But getting 4 HT's will cost $8K from Madhu, the cheapest decent doc, and cost like $100K from Lorenzo. And really the difference between them is not life and death. And really there are people in lower tax brackets. So really for a lot of people, price should matter.

Edited by olmert