A 46-year-old man came to Dr. Carlos K. Wesley's surgical center in order to return the frontal hair fullness that he once had. A 2343-graft session to the frontal half of his scalp can be viewed before and 12 months later. One important aspect of achieving his results was the use of DFUs (double follicular units) as well as the combined use of PRP and ACell as storage solutions while the grafts were incubating out of the body.

Slide07.jpg

Slide12.jpg

Slide01.jpg

Slide02.jpg

Slide03.jpg

Slide04.jpg

Slide05.jpg

Slide06.jpg

Slide08.jpg

Slide09.jpg

Slide10.jpg

Slide11.jpg

Thank you for your comments, PupDaddy! We have attached a few images of the pattern designed by Dr. Wesley. In this case, he used a number of double follicular units (DFUs) that are tucked away from the hairline in order to generate a backdrop of healthy density within the surrounding fine micrografts.

Slide13.jpg

Slide14.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great case. I respect your work.

This video is set to private btw.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Would like to see the video update, but as Spamker noted, it's set to private. Love Dr. Wesley's work on this fellow's case. Undetectable as transplant work, and beautiful density behind the hairline thanks to the clever incorporation of DFU"s.

• 6 months later...

Excellent case! What I really like is that we got to see video footage of his hair pre-op. In most of the videos I've seen from various clinics, we typically only get photos pre-op. It really helps make a better comparison.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Love the natural hairline. Question though, it always amazes me when you see HTs where the recipient area isn't shaved. Isn't it a lot safer to shave it down for the procedure and why wouldn't you make shaving mandatory like a lot of other clinics do?

Thanks for your comment, David!

Stig, great observation. For both my FUT AND FUE cases, patients are not required to shave their recipient areas. I've presented a few video examples of this in a previous thread.

Now, every physician is different, but in my hand it is certainly just as safe to not shave it down and let patients keep their recipeint hair at its normal length. It may be a bit faster to make the recipient sites as quickly as possible when the hair is shaven, but - aside from the slight ease of site making in the short term - I simply don't see a long-term benefit to the patient.

Much has to do with the physician's comfort zone and during my days of surgical training, all of my patients came in with their normal length recipient hair. They appreciated being able to return to work and social activities within 10 days (or even sooner). It does take a little longer to meticulously part the normal-length hair in order to create recipient sites within the pre-existing hairs, but it is well worth it for patient recovery. In addition, if the hair is wet preoperatively, it's very easy to see the areas of future loss and plan your recipient area accordingly.