Opinions please - results from Dr Camilo Diaz 1700 FUE

MarkJames

Hi, I had an FUE procedure with Dr Camilo Diaz at the CC Kat Aesthetics Clinic in Birmingham, West Midlands, Birmingham, UK.

It was undertaken on the 24th October 2014, and this is a photo right after the transplant. I was told I had just over 1700 grafts, less than 200 of which were single hairs, the majority being 2 and 3 hair grafts.

I want to know what you guys think of the quality of the procedure.

Post op photo:

http://s29.postimg.org/wym2cxpyv/photo.jpg

I was supposed to get cover on the crown and top, and front, ie the thinning areas. The photo you see here is the entire cover of the fue - the crown wasn't done. Dr Diaz said there was more thinning at the front than expected, when I asked after the area hadn't been covered.

The operation took from about 10:30am - 4pm, with a short lunch break, and was conducted by two hair technicians. They extracted the grafts and placed them in, Dr Diaz made the incisions and administered (incredibly painful) local anaesthetic.

The technicians informed me that the incisions were very close together, so the grafts were more likely to pop out in the few days after surgery. Some did, it was hard to tell how much was normal shedding and how many were grafts.

I have a few concerns but I would love to hear your feedback first guys. Thanks.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Edited by MarkJames

OK well at the time of my reply, 44 people have viewed your thread but declined to give an opinion.

The first thing I did when I looked at your photo was wince. That work is NOT tidy and it doesn't fill me with confidence. You haven't provided pre-op pics but given the distribution of the grafts, it looks as though the surgeon was trying to cover a very large area with a very small number of grafts.

To be fair though, I've seen post op pics that looked messier than yours which still delivered a decent results but I can see why you're concerned especially after losing grafts already.

Guess all you can do right now is wait for the hair to start growing. No point agonising over what might have been had you found this forum BEFORE you decided to go under the blade but I'm sure everyone here will be cheering you on and on hand to advise in the event you want to give it another go with a recommended surgeon

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Yes it does look messy, the surgeon didn't take pre op photographs after my head was shaved, but I've included some below.

I did find the forum before I had the procedure, and was looking for reviews of Dr Diaz, but only found a little info on him here, nothing negative.

Screen_Shot_2014_11_10_at_14_34_42.jpg

Screen_Shot_2014_11_10_at_14_35_02.jpg

Edited by MarkJames

I think its certainly around that figure of grafts. However i dont think the work looks good at all to be honest. And 1700 grafts over that area is not going to make much if a difference.

If it was me i would opt for a 2nd surgery and get the crown done also. I would be looking elsewhere to get it done too.

• 3 weeks later...

So this looks pretty much like it did pre op.

It kind of makes me wonder why I was told 1700 grafts or 4-5,000 hairs would cover what I asked for - the front sides and the crown.

The thing that gets me is I don't understand why the Doctor decided to transplant hairs in the area where I had hair - the front middle - and omit from transplanting to the areas we'd discussed before the op - crown/top.

He also didn't manage to get the transplants symmetrical and straight at the front hairline at all, and when I went in for a check up he said, "ah it's not straight, good!" Like it was something we were aiming for.

He also said after the operation, when i asked, that he'd decided not to transplant to the crown because I had less hair at the front than he thought (but chose not to tell me on the surgery day). Well, he'd seen me a month before the operation so should have known, or at least discussed it with me before changing the plan! He said I'm tall so the crown didn't matter. I don't agree.

20141129_190120.jpg

Edited by MarkJames

Do you have photos of your hair grown out pre-op? I am curious to know, why did you select this surgeon if you had not seen any reviews of his work?

I think your hair looked good shaved down and with these additional follicles, it will look denser.

It looked bad grown out, definitely better shaved.

He was listed on the Birmingham Dermatology Clinic where I booked the service from and Kat Aesthetics where the FUE was undertaken.

I searched for reviews and couldn't find anything bad about him. I agree that it must look somewhat denser when the follicles begin to grow and will probably keep it short.

As someone who is young and likely going to progress to a higher NW class, attempting to fill the crown now may later end up breaking the donor bank when the front and sides become much thinner which will require many more grafts. I have previously voiced my opinion in regard to technician performed FUE particularly at clinics that have not already established a world renowned reputation for excellence.

It's tough to tell from that picture exactly what is going on because there is so much blood. Most work coming from top HT surgeons doesn't look quite so bloody. Rather, it will look clean and tidy. You can usually see the grafts/hairs clearly and the area surrounding will be red/pinkish with spots of blood. Just look at the immediate post op pictures many of the clinics provide here and you'll see what I mean.

One recommended/well-known doctor whose work does look quite bloody for some reason is Dr. Umar, and he gets quality results. Your only real option now is to wait it out, although you can go see another doctor to get the current HT assessed and make certain your doc knows what he's doing (which I'm not convinced of). If you're in the UK perhaps Dr. Farjo can check it out. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

This is not at all up to today's standards. You had a nice pre op head and looked good shaved. This is a sad case. You'll need further work down the road and definitely need to be on finasteride if you aren't. Shoddy work that will really show when you progress. Sorry man.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Mark I had a FUT procedure by the same surgeon at cc kat in Birmingham in November. I had around the same number of grafts as you. I don't know what others think of the work. I have had at wk 3 post op a lot of 3 hairs that have come away with a scab and tiny bud on the end after gentle washing. It has made wonder were these ever in the scalp as the technicians kept referring to my grafts popping as they did some. Apparently I was quickly healing and it was difficult to get them all in.

image.jpg.3d81824bf2ab4ae5c97aa2438201e32f.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Mark, Hi Ayrton, It's been a few months now since you both commented in this thread. How are things looking now? Any improvement? I have a procedure coming up, and I'm slightly nervous. Do either of you regret having it done?

Also Dr Diaz is a member on this forum. I've seen him post responses. I would have expected a response from him here.

My procedure has had some results but at nearly 5 months nothing new has grown since 3-4 months and th density is not there. I'm being generous as I have not got thick hair and will never look like beckham. I expect to have the same density in my recipient area as the rest of the top of my head and it's falling short of that. I am still under the doctors care and he assured me things will be ok and if not an FUE procedure to get the right result in the future free of charge. Got to wait a little longer to get the full picture first.

Hi there,

No I definitely don't regret having it done.

I know that all of the responses have been pretty much negative to my post op photos, as you can see for yourself.

Dr Diaz has promised me, since the procedure, that he will fill in the gaps, free of charge. For that reason I am content that I will end up being satisfied after the second procedure.

He has taken my concerns seriously, so if the second procedure goes ahead and is successful then I'll be satisfied and would recommend Dr Diaz.

If you'd like to chat more just message me.

Thank you both for your responses, gents. I'm slightly reassured that you're still in contact with him, and that he's taking your concerns seriously and willing to remediate if necessary.

However, if there was no possibility of further free-of-charge procedures (or if he doesn't follow through on his promises), how would you rate your current results out of 10?

On a slightly different topic, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying for your FUE?

It's not a cheap thing to commit to. I just want to gauge what I'm getting into, and whether it's value for money.

I'm mainly hoping it will improve my confidence.

I had an FUT procedure as it was supposed to be quicker and it's obviously cost effective. At the moment I'm 5 out of 10 happy it's made a difference but not the one I'm going to be happy with long term as of yet. I say that with knowing some people expect miracles, I don't. It's a start but as the post above I'm expecting a second touch up procedure if we're both not happy. Dr Diaz has kept his word on all aspects of the procedure so far so don't have too many worries that he won't fulfill his word on the hair transplant. The Dr is a professional and I'm fairly sure not after a quick buck. As for cost is rather not say but it was a fair price. Looking forward to more growth and if needs be a few touch ups to guarantee effectiveness. I went with Dr Diaz because he had worked for other hair transplant organisations and wanted to cut the middle man out. Keep us posted on how you get on.

• 4 months later...
Hi there,

No I definitely don't regret having it done.

I know that all of the responses have been pretty much negative to my post op photos, as you can see for yourself.

Dr Diaz has promised me, since the procedure, that he will fill in the gaps, free of charge. For that reason I am content that I will end up being satisfied after the second procedure.

He has taken my concerns seriously, so if the second procedure goes ahead and is successful then I'll be satisfied and would recommend Dr Diaz.

If you'd like to chat more just message me.

Hi Mark, did you have your second procedure with Dr Diaz. In a month I'm due my second. I'd love to know how it went and if it was worth it??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

As it's been a good year now since your original procedures with Dr Diaz, how were the results from the original procedure in the end?

I have been looking into using this Surgeon and obviously this thread gives fairly mixed opinions with no real conclusion.

Would be great to know how the final result was for you both.

Thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys I'm trying to get in touch with a fellow member MARK JAMES.. I've wrote to him with no reply.. really need To speak with him regarding his HT with dr Diaz... any ideas how I can get in touch..tried Facebook but there are alot of mark James...🥴

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, J-uk21 said:

I would like to know the results of this procedure. I had mine done around 3 years ago with the same surgeon, and it looks worse than it did before and I feel so depressed. 

I'm so sorry I haven't replied to this thread in a long time. I would have one piece of advice for anyone thinking of going for an FUE operation with Dr Diaz - DON'T DO IT. 

I didn't get my second procedure as the first one was so bad. Because of his techniques almost all of the grafts fell out. 

There is scarring at the back of my head which is visible when I shave (scalp micro pigmentation helps). 

I was also contacted by other patients who had similar experiences. 

Dr Diaz does not care about the care of his patients as long as he is getting paid. Kat Aesthetics where we did the procedure was incredibly unprofessional too. 

This procedure with Diaz has caused a lot of stress, anxiety and even amounted to panic attacks which never happened before. 

DO NOT HAVE SURGERY WITH DR DIAZ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-uk21 said:

I would like to know the results of this procedure. I had mine done around 3 years ago with the same surgeon, and it looks worse than it did before and I feel so depressed. 

I'm sad to hear this, a couple of us were thinking of approaching some official body to stop Dr Diaz from practising, would you be interested in joining us? Send me a DM if so.

On 7/7/2019 at 3:15 PM, Bavz said:

Guys I'm trying to get in touch with a fellow member MARK JAMES.. I've wrote to him with no reply.. really need To speak with him regarding his HT with dr Diaz... any ideas how I can get in touch..tried Facebook but there are alot of mark James...🥴

FYI we have spoken.