Dr. Wong 7111 Grafts/ 2 Sessions/FUT/ 27 and 15 Months Post Op

This local patient in his early 40's first came to see Dr. Wong for a consultation in 2007. He used Finasteride for brief periods of time but not consistently which was evident when he came back 5 years later in 2012 after further hair loss. He decided it was time to pull the trigger on a hair restoration procedure. By rebuilding his hairline and adding density front to back where needed, his first surgery resulted in a significant cosmetic improvement using 4597 grafts: 1696 1's, 2685 2's , 216 3-4's.

One year after the date of his first surgery, he opted for a second surgery to increase density in the hairline and crown adding 2514 grafts: 1077 1's, 1396 2's, 41 3-4's. This result is 27 months after the first procedure and 15 months after the 2nd.

Here's the original thread for those that wish to see the results from the first session.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/175757-dr-wong-4597-grafts-one-year-fut.html

37656_594a49_00afe3.jpg

37703_74ca48_0db63b.jpg

37726_85644a_ba484a.jpg

37750_bb0b8d_08c8cc.jpg

37777_78706b_76430e.jpg

37802_521bb5_d9de1e.jpg

37827_fd9d31_11902b.jpg

37850_42fdc3_4c4ba5.jpg

38600_dd9f2e_726f43.jpg

Edited by Garageland

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of hushed awe but I'm sorry; this looks like a semi-comb over IMHO.

Where are the shots of the hair combed back to reveal the HAIRLINE???!!!

Say what you like but, in my view, elaborately coiffured hairstyles in results photos don't fill me with confidence.

There's no doubt over the improvement - especially in the crown area - but I wouldn't be jumping for joy if I had to style my hair like that to create the illusion of having a full head of hair. What happens when he goes out and a gust of wind blows that hairstyle away?

Sorry to shut off the cheerleading music but I expect this forum to hold surgeons and clinics to higher standards of presentation in their results than this - it ain't like they can't bloody well afford it

Um, he styled his hair in the exact same way as he did before the transplant, the hairline will not be too dense, but it's far from a combover. I find it surprising that people don't like the documentation given how rarely we see a crown shot.

Um, surely the idea - as far as the clinic/surgeon is concerned - is to showcase the full aesthetic of the result including placement, density and yield. The patient can comb his hair however he likes but for the purposes of a results presentation, a detailed shot of the hairline is absolutely essential because, to me and any other observer, the pics of THIS hairline screams

"COMB OVER"

Frankly, I'm surprised people are excusing well-known clinics and surgeons' failure to provide transparent results documentation especially when doctors like Lorenzo and Arocha are providing video comb-throughs that provide observers with a transparent, no-BS view of the yield and the density.

I'm astonished that I have to spell that out because if I was in the market for an HT and saw that presentation, I'd be thinking, "What's the clinic putting up a comb over as a result for?"

Then I'd be looking at the competition

I would like to see his 1st HT & why on earth did he stop his Meds after spending all that money the first time around? Unless he had some major SEs going on or some other personal reasons.

I'm miffed TBH why people have taken Meds for yrs without any probs & get a HT done & drop there Meds as if they think they have won the war.

I just don't get it.

But over all i think hes looking better before his 2nd HT...I just hope he sticks with his Meds cas I can see him coming back in another 5 yrs otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

KO- Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. He had medium coarse hair, yes his groupings were on the low side.

Ontop- I posted a link to the results from his first HT in the original post. To be clear he did not stop his meds after the first HT he stopped his meds after the initial consult for some reason. He started up before he had the first HT and has continued with them without issue since.

Thanks to the rest of you for your comments. We do not have a HD video of this patient unfortunately. As KO says he is wearing his hair as he was before surgery but now has a great deal more of it. It is an age appropriate hairstyle for the gentlemen in question if he comes by the clinic again we will be sure run a comb through his hairline and take some photos.

---

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

i think it looks good given the level of baldness and hair caliber, i dont think level 5 and 6 baldness will ever give super thick dense results which allow for different hairstyles, especially on guys with straight hair and with a low hair to graft ratio

In no way, shape, or form is this a comb over. This is a solid results considering where the patient started and grafts moved. I will say it again, we have gotten spoiled on this website seeing NW 2-3 results after having 3000 grafts. Higher NW level patients present a lot of challenges and cannot be compared to lower NW patients who have an equal number of grafts. This sounds obvious but this is what I see happening.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Good result!

Come on, to the poster who said this was a "semi comb over", seriously? I can partly concur that I would like to see HD videos with brush through as well but for various reasons this can not always happen. That's no reason to act like this is a suspicious case - particularly as you can see the transition from HT #1 to #2 (and see the hairline and density more clearly in HT #1, where it was looking pretty good already from baseline).

The improvement is clear - it's night and day. In addition, it must be taken into consideration that no hair transplant restores a full head of hair. Every HT is to a greater or lesser degree an illusion of sorts, so somehow chastising HT doctors because they aren't showing you HD videos of thick, lustrous hairlines and vertexes is a bit unrealistic. This guy was to all intents and purposes bald and he is now to all intents and purposes not bald, with a big smile on his face, and some great photos to illustrate how he's making the most of his new hair and styling it.

Anybody who has a basic familiarity with HTs and hairline design will tell you the bottom photo (from behind, focusing on the whorl) tells you everything you need to know about the hairline density, which looks solid (literally solid - you can't see through the hair!).

This is a good HT. There's nothing suspicious. Yes, I like videos and thorough road tests too, but it's unfair to suggest a doctor is hiding something when there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. And, frankly, he's a happy customer - that really is all that matters whatever anybody else thinks.

KO- Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. He had medium coarse hair, yes his groupings were on the low side.

Ontop- I posted a link to the results from his first HT in the original post. To be clear he did not stop his meds after the first HT he stopped his meds after the initial consult for some reason. He started up before he had the first HT and has continued with them without issue since.

Thanks to the rest of you for your comments. We do not have a HD video of this patient unfortunately. As KO says he is wearing his hair as he was before surgery but now has a great deal more of it. It is an age appropriate hairstyle for the gentlemen in question if he comes by the clinic again we will be sure run a comb through his hairline and take some photos.

Thanks garageland...

Me think its a good HT from where he was at....

Hope he sticks out his meds now he be good for yrs to come.

Good result!

Come on, to the poster who said this was a "semi comb over", seriously? I can partly concur that I would like to see HD videos with brush through as well but for various reasons this can not always happen. In addition, it must be taken into consideration that no hair transplant restores a full head of hair. .

What reasons? None I can think of. He was at the surgeon's clinic and he was posing for photos. He could've posed for a video comb through unless of course he didn't have a can of his favourite hairspray to reproduce his hairstyle. The front looks crispy and brittle.

I know that no procedure restores a full head of hair but 7000+ grafts?? :eek:

In the hands of a surgeon like Lorenzo or Bisanga, 7000 grafts would have left the guy with a hell of a lot more options than a comb over.

As for the hairstyle being "age appropriate", is a comb over appropriate on a 27 year old NW5? Given the choice, NO man styles his hair in a comb over; he only does so out of necessity.

I realise my POV isn't in line with the consensus and it's unlikely to be popular but I've SEEN large cases like these from the likes of Feriduni, Bisanga, Feller etc and the results have demonstrated far more judicious use of the grafts and a better overall aesthetic.

Perhaps he is ahead of the game with his 'Combover' and taking fashion tips from David Beckham and George Clooney.

combover-david-beckham-hair.jpg

combover-george-clooney.jpg

---

Very drole but way off the mark.

Those aren't comb overs. You can see the hairlines on both.

Not so on the patient and the reason is because he has to comb his hair forward and then sweep it to the left while using styling aids like hairspray/gel to keep it in place. In and of itself, that is not an issue - a man can style his hair however he bloody well likes - but for the purposes of SHOWCASING THE RESULT OF A HAIR TRANSPLANT - it's highly ineffective.

The surgery should've known better than to publish them

What reasons? None I can think of. He was at the surgeon's clinic and he was posing for photos. He could've posed for a video comb through unless of course he didn't have a can of his favourite hairspray to reproduce his hairstyle. The front looks crispy and brittle.

I know that no procedure restores a full head of hair but 7000+ grafts?? :eek:

In the hands of a surgeon like Lorenzo or Bisanga, 7000 grafts would have left the guy with a hell of a lot more options than a comb over.

As for the hairstyle being "age appropriate", is a comb over appropriate on a 27 year old NW5? Given the choice, NO man styles his hair in a comb over; he only does so out of necessity.

I realise my POV isn't in line with the consensus and it's unlikely to be popular but I've SEEN large cases like these from the likes of Feriduni, Bisanga, Feller etc and the results have demonstrated far more judicious use of the grafts and a better overall aesthetic.

The simple fact of the matter is you're inferring an awful lot from very little. You can't accuse a doctor of hiding something unless you have good reason. Maybe there wasn't time to do a video, maybe the man didn't want to be on video, maybe he'd styled his hair and wasn't really wanting to have it combed and messed up.

You also seem to have overlooked the part where you can get a much better view of his hairline in the documentation of his first transplant - it looks fine there, a very solid result. I see no reason it would be any worse off for a second HT.

I've seen great transplants by all the great doctors documented on these forums - Feriduni, Bisanga and Feller are fantastic, as are Hasson and Wong (and more beside). You cannot really compare one transplant with another as a whole variety of factors will play into the overall documented result - there is no objective pinnacle to hold them all up to. To say you've seen better than this case is one thing (I've seen HTs that have impressed me more and impressed me less, I'm sure we all have) but to say this is sub-par work or that there is some cover-up going on is something else entirely.

All we can really do is decide whether the improvement is substantial and I'd defy anybody to say otherwise. After all you don't know what plan the patient and doctor developed, you don't know whether there's a third HT in the pipeline, you don't know whether this hairstyle is absolutely by choice and he has great density at the front. You have to remember that your expectation and ambitions are not the patient's expectations and ambitions and there may be many factors you don't know about at play.

As I say, I'd like to see a video - you can never get enough documentation. But to infer this is a sub-par presentation because there isn't one is not fair. The HT looks great and for 7,000+ grafts I'd say it's clear he's had fantastic work done with clear cosmetic improvement. It may not be as good as X or 10 times better than Y but that doesn't really matter - this is good work and there would appear to be nothing untoward whatsoever about the presentation.

As far as I can remember, I never suggested they were deliberately hiding something. I'm suggesting that the presentation is utterly 2nd rate.

If a patient is going to come to the surgery for post op pics, one would imagine the doctor would want to comb the hair into a style that showed off the hairline, placement, density etc not take photos of a crossface comb over held together by hairspray.