Differing assessments from surgeons

Recently sent off pictures to a selection of surgeons. Most responded by telling me that I required around 3000-3300 grafts FUE so I thought that I had a good idea of what I needed.

One surgeon (in Turkey but shall remain nameless) came back informing me that I required 5000-6000 grafts. I was shocked by this, it's left me wondering whether this surgeon is simply trying to get extra money or whether the other surgeons have underestimated what I need. Is it common practice for some surgeons to do this?

Spoon,

Each surgeon has their own approach. I wouldn't automatically assume the graft estimate is a ploy for more money. It may be that this surgeon is simply more aggressive or envisions your restoration plan differently. 5,000 - 6,000 FUE grafts is a big case; I would definitely ask a lot of questions about yield, extraction methods, et cetera, if considering this approach.

KO brings up a good point as well; share some images and see what the community thinks!

Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You can always use more hair. They can never move as many as you lost.

You will look better the more you move. Even with 6000 grafts, you won't have as much hair as you used to. It is subjective how many are enough.

• 2 weeks later...

How can anyone on this thread even comment on a graft number - we don't have enough information???

What is your age, how much hair loss do you have, where does the doc suggest transplanting the hair, etc etc etc. Once you provide more information, and photos, then the posters can give a more educated guess.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Quote from Charles R. Swindol

March 14, 2013. 2462 grafts to the crown

Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel in Portland, Oregon

Dr. Gabel's Website