FUT Scalp Trauma, what to expect

Hello All,

Junior poster here inching ever closer to pulling the trigger on a hair transplant. For a refresher I'm a NW5 verging onto a NW6...sucks being 31 and having the look of a 50 year old. I've had consultations with Dr. William Lindsey, Dr. Michael Vories and just recently a consultation with Dr. John Diep. Nothing but wonderful experiences with all three of them, and with the help of this forum I am confident that I will find myself in the hands of the right doctor.

I'm aware that for a successful result, the FUT method would be much more optimal (of course there are those on this forum who say that if I am a NW6, best option would be to skip the transplant all together, and do my best Stone Cold Steve Austin impression). My question is to everyone who has gone with the FUT procedure....what will my scalp feel like after the strip is removed?

I've read reviews from patients that range from "I had a light sensation of tightness for the first few months, and then the feeling returned to normal" to "I can't feel water running over my scalp when I shower anymore". Do you lose sensation forever in the donor and recipient area? Do you have a tight feeling on your head forever? I understand that every patient is different and that no one can predict how one's body will react to trauma, but I'm curious for everyone's experience so I can at least have some sort of gauge.

Current graft calculations are as follows to give you an idea of what I would be working with. (this is also what the surgeons were willing to preform on the first go around)

Dr. William Lindsey = (FUT method) 2800-3000 allows for minimal scar and option for a second procedure. This will address the hairline to just about mid-scalp densely packed. Dr. Lindsey is confident that he will leave me with a "likely" good scar and very little trauma to the donor area. Potential second surgery would address from the mid-scalp to the top of the crown.

Dr. Michael Vories = (FUE method) 3000 grafts with a possibility of a little bit more. Since I've just started on Propecia about a month ago, he'd prefer to have this case done first and wait a year to see how well I re-act to the medication. He theorized that we focus on framing the face, and go to just past the mid-scalp section. If Propecia is successful, we can do a second round in a year.

Dr. John Diep = (Recommends FUT method) 4000-5000. He characterized me with extensive loss (I can't argue with that), but he states that a one time surgical approach on the higher spectrum, will provide full coverage. He then stated a concentration of density on the frontal forelock from the hairline, to just past the mid-scalp section would provide a huge result. His words of "lets get it all done in one day, so you can be done with this and move one" really struck a chord in me.

Any input from any of my fellow HRN posters here would be most welcome.

Thanks all,

I had 3400 grafts FUT almost 3 months. My a donor scar itself may be slightly numb if at all, but the rest of the back of my head feels fine. My recipient area on the other hand is still very numb.

I would suggest you look at pictures of as many other posters as you can find that were in a similar situation to you. That should help to give you a realistic idea of what your results may be.

Best of luck.

You are obviously willing to travel so why not consult with Dr. Lorenzo and avoid the scar and trauma?

I don't believe his yields would be any less that the FUTs procedures that you are contemplating. In retrospect as a NW6 myself if I were to start all over, I would have eschewed the first 3 FUTs and opted for FUE x 2. Unfortunately for me that option was not available back in the 90's. I found Dr. Lorenzo to be conservative in his approach which leaves room to respond in the future to the unexpected which should be expected!

"Less is more"

I'd advise you go with 3000 grafts first and see how your chosen surgeon does first before committing another 2000-3000 grafts. A second HT will also provide you with a chance to "tweak" any gaps you might have either in the hairline or behind it or fill in the crown.

In the worst case scenario that you commit to a 5000 graft HT and you have bald yield then you would be left with very little in reserve for a second HT.

Try to avoid over-cooking HT with a mega session. It's more risky.

FUE may be worth looking into if you are in a situation where you can have your head shaved and if you can afford the price difference.

I used Dr Glenn Charles. You can search my posts for some pics of my scar. I will also post some new scar pics in about a 1 1/2 weeks when I hit the 3 month mark.