Repair of My Hair by Dr. Ali Emre Karadeniz

Pianist

Dear Members,

I have a repair surgery scheduled for the 29th of October 2014 by Dr. Karadeniz.

I will try to present my case here because I believe there are a lot of people with a similar problem as mine.

I read the article written in the doctors website about repair surgery and I thought it explained my situation perfectly.

As I speak little English I am being helped for translations.

The clinic will provide me with photos so I can put them on the forum.

I am 36 years old and I had a hair transplant at a famous clinic in Istanbul, Turkey about 8 years ago. It was a strip procedure. I ended up with a very unnatural hairline and a very bad scar at the back of my head. I was tortured by peoples questions about my hair for a long time . Eventually I got used to it. I even started making fun of it by saying 'Ofcourse I didn't have a hair transplant!'.

I met Dr. Karadeniz about 2 weeks ago. His plan is to remove the grafts in the hairline with FUE. He told me he will redo the FUT to get grafts and improve the scar. I am not sure if he will do FUE to extract grafts but the appointment is for a 2 day procedure. I will put some before and immediately after photos later. I am hoping I will get a good result.

Thanks to all.

Dear members,

I had my operation completed yesterday.

I felt much less pain than Dr. Emre told me that I could expect.

It was a 2 day procedure with FUE used to remove the previously transplanted grafts which looked very unnatural. FUT was used to remove most of the previous scar and get the majority of grafts. There was a small change in the operative plan on the second day when Dr. Emre told me that we should keep a part of the strip for the second procedure scheduled for 6 months later. He advised me that we don't try to cover all the crown and keep those grafts for increasing the density at the front. I think I ended up with having about 3000 grafts.

I am attaching the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative photos that Dr. Emre sent me this morning.

All questions and comments are welcomed. Since my English is not so good, I will be helped in translations. Dr. Emre told me he was ready to answer any technical questions that I may not be able to answer. He told me that I was a very complicated case and the operative plan was unusual, so I should expect some questions and comments.

I trust in Dr. Emre's expertise and am hoping to get a good improvement.

Thanks to all.

Before1.jpg.0951d9f1d6307bfba1de97d02ae0638d.jpg

Before2.jpg.18abe95fad447feae4ed78bb627fc177.jpg

Before3.jpg.1b475f7947db61e65d9158ad6831b0a7.jpg

Before4.jpg.6defda862fa448b8969edbd259c88c7c.jpg

Before5.jpg.e0d082c303c9d25ceb771cea34032411.jpg

Before6.jpg.92573f2e1f8a57603fb31bbe0802bfa8.jpg

Op1.jpg.e60bfbc29dd11638e69be7c1aba883f0.jpg

Op2.jpg.3579de7ef4fc9f18ae4a2cf5592a0a49.jpg

Op3.jpg.ddeecc2a1475fa97b1599672132b12a5.jpg

Op4.jpg.78a685d207d48857ddc4179a2e380934.jpg

After1.jpg.244cde83d665d2b73a46a201db2914ba.jpg

After2.jpg.ed4e87cb1c194b08d4712285548250f4.jpg

After3.jpg.13e73ba7079c676f0b660e4801b3b628.jpg

After4.jpg.9496b14d18086996aa1fd9a25ce3647c.jpg

After5.jpg.a682811f0d707ba1e4d2275253cf7144.jpg

After6.jpg.b6687df85d13f3745c42c2bca12e5606.jpg

After7.jpg.c007f88f0ac9785457f99604a88f4e5e.jpg

After8.jpg.bce444b769e79ddf62c26f93bef70c71.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Members,

I would like to give some details about this difficult case of Pianist's.

The grafts previously placed at the hairline at another clinic were so much badly placed and given a wrong angle (they were actually directed backwards) that I decided that there was no choice but removing them all. Unfortunately there were quite a lot of these grafts and I had to do many punctures at the hairline bringing the hairline about 1,5 cms back. Normally, I prefer not to bring it back more than a cm so that the punctured area at the hairline is not too deep, but here there was no choice. If the angles were not so bad I could have elected to leave the grafts that are within the transplanted area. I will hope the extraction sites heal well without significant scarring. For this aim, I used the smallest possible punch that was provided; a 0.6 mm punch. I did not try to get these grafts out intact, because that would have required a punch size of at least 0.8 mm and this would cause too large punch holes at the hairline. I estimated that I did 1500-2000 punctures to remove as many grafts as possible of which less than half were usable. I believe I was able to take out 80% of the previous grafts. The remaining couldn't have been removed either because the grafts were much wider than the 0.6 mm punch or there were grafts too close to each other. So I am planning another revision at the hairline to take out the remaining grafts in a couple of months.

After graft removal with FUE, I took the left half of the strip. It took me some time to decide if I should excise the whole scar or leave the tails, as the tails at the sides are out of the normal route of the strip. I see a lot of these straight strips with the tails hitting the ear instead of going high up the temporal area. When I see this, I am left with the decision of taking the whole scar out but getting a low graft number, or going high on sides to get a good number of grafts but leave double scars at the tail. I decided to go up because I knew I needed those grafts. I can always do a scar revision at the tails later or do FUE grafting on the scars.

On the second day, I decided to change the plan a little bit which explains the asymmetric excision at the donor area. After getting 2400 grafts from the FUE extraction plus left half of the strip on the first day, I decided that I should not go for a high number and cover the whole crown. I thought that the frontal part would surely need more grafts later, due to the empty extraction sites, so I should leave some of the grafts at the right side for a later session. I explained Pianist my concerns and we agreed to leave a part of the strip for the next session. So I took out the remaining scar, including the tail on the right. A double layer closure was performed using tricopytic. So in the next session I will take the right side of the strip and do a revision to the scar on the left corner. I know the plan sounds a bit unusual.

Here are some graft numbers:

FUE: 1:200, 2:600, 3:75...Total:875

FUT: 1:257, 2:1413, 3:317...Total:1987

TOTAL: 1:457, 2:2013, 3:392...Total: 2862

P.S.: I noticed the incredible beard donor and mentioned it to Pianist. However that will be my choice on a future 3rd session after I am done with FUT and scalp FUE.

I will be happy to answer any technical questions you have.

Regards,

Dr. Ali Emre Karadeniz

Edited by drkaradeniz
graft numbers shifted

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD (Dr. K)

AEK Hair Institute

Istanbul, Turkey

Pianist , no need to start with: " Dear members" Are you a parrot? Or???

What about the scars to be left over the front area after FUE removal of old FUT grafts? I wish/hope for you totally scarless healing over this area, or the tiny dots over the most prominent part of the head/face will be very visible. Time will show, keep posting.

To try the laser hair removal first might have been a better solution; if it does not work, FUE removal would be still a choice/option in future.

Edited by fisher4man

Very interesting! Thank you for explaining your approach as well, Dr. Karadeniz.

Good luck! I hope you'll keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

A very interesting case indeed. Nice job by both the doctor and the patient for providing the detailed information and photos, I'm looking forward to seeing updates on this case, so please keep this thread updated, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello pianist.

What is the plan for the old hairline?

Did you not discuss with Dr Karadeniz other possible hair removal techniques rather than trying to remove them via fue? Laser or electrolysis hair removal?

Was body hair transplant not a option for mid scalp then the grafts that have been used there could of been used to try and replace the old hairline.

If Dr karadeniz has another go at removing more of the old hairline via fue it will only increase the chances of the scaring being more visible is this his plan?

Most people go fue to avoid the linear scar associated with fut no one at all wants scaring on the hairline

I wish you all the best with the results and minimal scaring you are due some good fortune.

Thanks for sharing and have a nice day.

Hello pianist.

What is the plan for the old hairline?

Did you not discuss with Dr Karadeniz other possible hair removal techniques rather than trying to remove them via fue? Laser or electrolysis hair removal?

Was body hair transplant not a option for mid scalp then the grafts that have been used there could of been used to try and replace the old hairline.

If Dr karadeniz has another go at removing more of the old hairline via fue it will only increase the chances of the scaring being more visible is this his plan?

Most people go fue to avoid the linear scar associated with fut no one at all wants scaring on the hairline

I wish you all the best with the results and minimal scaring you are due some good fortune.

Thanks for sharing and have a nice day.

Your bias against Dr. Karadeniz for calling out the illegal Turkish technician-performed ht clinic you promote is showing. Dr. Karadeniz answered these "questions" in the first paragraph of his post on page 1 of this thread. Laser or electrolysis does not work, functionally or cosmetically, to eradicate poorly placed grafts. The only options available for repairing poor hairline work are punching out the old grafts or trying to camouflage them by transplanting lots of new grafts around and in front of them. The second approach wasn't an option in this patient's case because the transplanted hairline was placed so unnaturally low and the grafts were placed at poor angles and direction -- as Dr. Karadeniz explained. He used the tiniest punches available to extract the old grafts (as he also explained), which should leave nearly undetectable, or completely undetectable, scarring. This is the surgical gold standard for repairing this kind of shoddy work. Your implication that Dr. K somehow did this patient a disservice with this very challenging repair is both cruel to the patient and misinformed.

cruel to the patient and misinformed.

No, this guy is just asking logical questions, and he is a senior member here.

Remember Fredi?? You did exactly what you said here, why are you crying now?

Do you know about the legality issues in Turkey?? Do you really think that Dr K. told the truth to you? Dont you see who this pianist is? Are you so foolish to believe that implantation by tech is legal but extraction/incisions is illegal? Do you know doctors other than plastic surgeons are illegal HT doctors, they cant become a surgeons by paying some societies. Do you know the fact that societies by doctors can not legislate about operations, only National Health Authorities can do this. Do you know that HT societies are also illegal, because HT is just an operation, there is no surgical sub-speciality for that . I am really bored of your foolishness and/or bias.

You are totally false and misleading here and you are misinforming everybody. First, you leave your bias and misinformation about who/what you imply. Then peace will follow.

You are totally false and misleading here and you are misinforming everybody.

Please identify the statement(s) in my post that contend is/are false. For each such statement you identify, please provide the facts and evidence to support your contention.

Blake has publicly obliterated your conspiracy theories and paranoid accusations regarding those of us who disapprove of the practices of the budget clinic that you and 1966kph support. Are you now accusing the original poster here (pianist) of doing something untoward?

Dr. Karadeniz appears to have done an excellent, state-of-the-art job of repairing atrocious work done by another clinic. He explained his repair plan and approach and reasons for them on p. 1 of this thread. 1966kph, who has demonstrated antagonism towards Dr. K since this doctor pointed out the illegality of the technician-performed hair transplantation being sold by a certain Turkish clinic that you and 1966kph support, chose to ignore Dr. K's post and call into question the repair plan and work, accompanied by wild, uninformed suggestions that electrolysis would have resolved the issue and that punching out the misplaced grafts was somehow an inappropriate use of fue/punch extraction technique. The tone of 1966kph's "questions" expressed incredulity that Dr. Karadeniz punched out the poorly place grafts: E.g. "Did you not discuss with Dr. K . . . . laser or electrolysis hair removal?," and misleadingly suggested that there were better options for repairing a grossly low transplanted hairline populated by outrageously angled and directed grafts (there were not). These were not questions, they were agenda-driven assertions -- and they unfairly called into question the surgeon's wisdom, competence, advice, and expertise. Doing so was, as I said, cruel to the patient and misinformed.

Graved11ger, it is irrelevant whether Maral is a plastic surgeon, because, he does not do the surgery. Apparently, all he does is draw the hairline. I can do that!

sex during FUT - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

In fact, you can do all the steps of HT, including extractions, all technicians job nowadays.

Anyway better for you to do ( or you want?) strip during your strip surgery. After you remove your clothes somebody who do not use finasteride should help you by ......... :)

It is very relevant and important if we discuss about the legality. And tech. work is really irrelevant for that. Do not forget Dr. K. also stated that he works with technicians, even with inexperienced ones. At least the other works with the professionals with great experience, much more experience than the beginner FUE clinics.

And you can be sure ...... do more important tasks on his clinic's patients than to do surgery and than to draw hairline. Follow my following posts and learn.

Edited by GraveD11gger

If I caused any offence to dr Karadeniz or the patient that was never my intention and I apoligse if this indeed occurred.

So pup your telling me electrolysis and laser hair removal are totally ineffective at removing hair?

I would of thought laser hair removal done over a 6 month period would have eradicated the majority or maybe all the unwanted grafts but then again I may be wrong may be you could enlighten me with your knowledge of hair removal pup!

Pup I don't know why you think I'm having a pop at the dr by asking questions about the removal of the old hairline at the moment the patient is going to be left with scaring (hopefully minimal) but still with hair there.

I don't know if I missed something but is there a plan to address the old hairline with new grafts?

Lastly pup your a hypocrite making out as though I'm causing offence to the patient here yet how many of marals threads have you been on stirring up trouble?

If laser hair removal or electrolysis don't work there is a lot of business making a vast amount of money out of it

They were legitimate questions I asked with no ulterior motive in there.

Have a good day.

Please identify the statement(s) in my post that contend is/are false. For each such statement you identify, please provide the facts and evidence to support your contention.

Blake has publicly obliterated your conspiracy theories and paranoid accusations regarding those of us who disapprove of the practices of the budget clinic that you and 1966kph support. Are you now accusing the original poster here (pianist) of doing something untoward?

Dr. Karadeniz appears to have done an excellent, state-of-the-art job of repairing atrocious work done by another clinic. He explained his repair plan and approach and reasons for them on p. 1 of this thread. 1966kph, who has demonstrated antagonism towards Dr. K since this doctor pointed out the illegality of the technician-performed hair transplantation being sold by a certain Turkish clinic that you and 1966kph support, chose to ignore Dr. K's post and call into question the repair plan and work, accompanied by wild, uninformed suggestions that electrolysis would have resolved the issue and that punching out the misplaced grafts was somehow an inappropriate use of fue/punch extraction technique. The tone of 1966kph's "questions" expressed incredulity that Dr. Karadeniz punched out the poorly place grafts: E.g. "Did you not discuss with Dr. K . . . . laser or electrolysis hair removal?," and misleadingly suggested that there were better options for repairing a grossly low transplanted hairline populated by outrageously angled and directed grafts (there were not). These were not questions, they were agenda-driven assertions -- and they unfairly called into question the surgeon's wisdom, competence, advice, and expertise. Doing so was, as I said, cruel to the patient and misinformed.

..... the tiniest punches available to extract the old grafts which should leave nearly undetectable, or completely undetectable, scarring. This is the surgical gold standard for repairing this kind of shoddy work.

There is no gold standart for repairing low-placed (plug) grafts. There are 2 options, laser removal and Fue removal using the tiniest (0.6 mm) punch as you have mentioned, or combining both, (last option is nothing to do)

You have proven your illeteracy on HT issues many times, hope you understand my explanation but;

- Tinier the punch more risk for transection.

-Transection means hair follicle could not be removed, it will continue produce hair, but there will be a permanent dot(s) scar, although tin); more transection, more unnecessary scar.

-So, yes for the tiniest punch; but, more risk for not to remove hair but still the scar will be there.

-Now, see the best FUE scars over donor areas after shaving the area which is opened by the tiniest FUE punches, can you say that the area is totally scarless when shaved?

-Can you say or can you quarantee the patient before the surgery that the area will be totally scarless since you will open many holes over the forehead, and the forehead, the most prominent, visible part of the head. -considering there will not be enough hairs in the area to cover this tiny dots-

-The first line treatment for these grafts (not a gold standart but) is laser hair removal. It is totally scarless. Anyway it may work but also it may not work or may partially work. Lets say, it would not work or partially work. Then the FUE removal can still be applicable to solve the problem.

-FUE removal is the second line treatment if laser removal does not solve the problem completely. Even laser removal may decrease the number of hairs need to be removed by FUE extraction later, it means less FUE extraction and less scar.

So, beginning with laser loses nothing but gives all advantageous things. Beginning with punch removal lose every advantage of laser to get rid of this trouble condition without having any scar (or much less scar).

Anyway, surgeons may have different opinions and can start with the second line treatment. Here, this polite guy 1966 simply asks if his doctor explained all about that, in other words, is Pianist a well-informed patient to give informed consent?

Please do not produce any conspiracy theories and paranoid accusations regarding those of us who disapprove of the practices of the clinic that you and KO support. Sure, Blake will disapprove you.

No, this guy is just asking logical questions, and he is a senior member here.

Remember Fredi?? You did exactly what you said here, why are you crying now?

Do you know about the legality issues in Turkey?? Do you really think that Dr K. told the truth to you? Dont you see who this pianist is?

Dear members is a bit of a clue or is it just coincidince?

Have a good day

Dear Members,

I am 36 years old and I had a hair transplant at a famous clinic in Istanbul, Turkey about 8 years ago. It was a strip procedure.

Pianist,

You do not need much English to write here. Which was this famous clinic in Istanbul that performed your first HT?

If you do not write its name, we all will assume that it was the clinic that your surgeon got his training on HT. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166406-my-disastrous-journey-transmed-2.html

Dear Members,

I am 36 years old and I had a hair transplant at a famous clinic in Istanbul, Turkey about 8 years ago. It was a strip procedure.

Pianist,

You do not need much English to write here. Which was this famous clinic in Istanbul that performed your first HT?

If you do not write its name, we all will assume that it was the clinic that your surgeon got his training on HT.